Spring vegetable pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Serve with a green salad and plenty of crusty ciabatta bread.

450g pasta (any type - tagliatelle or penne or farfalle etc)
2/3 shallots, chopped finely
2 tbspoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 large courgettes, grated
8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
55g pine nuts, toasted
Freshly ground salt and black pepper, to taste

Garnish
small handful of torn basil leaves
Shaved parmesan cheese, as desired

Cook the pasta in lots of boiling, salted water according to the manufacturer's instruction

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saute pan, fry off the shallots, but do not allow to cook more than light golden, add the garlic and cook for one minute. Add the courgettes and toss in the oil. Add the tomatoes and toss until they are hot and beginning to soften. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Drain the pasta thoroughly. Add the courgettes/shallots mixture and the pine nuts and add more seasoning if required. Pile into a large bowl and serve immediately, garnished with the torn basil and parmesan shavings.

Recipe: Leith's Cookery School, London

Ishbel, I looked up courgettes, and they appear to be little zucchinis. Is this correct? I am thinking of trying this recipe either tonight or tomorrow night for dinner and just want to make sure I am using the right stuff. I don't like to mess with a recipe the first time I make it.

In case Ishbel doesn't get back to you, yes, you're right. Courgettes = zuchini; aubergines = eggplant. Do not ask me why American English uses an Italian word for the squash (oh, heck, that's really easy, more Italian-Americans than French-Americans I suppose -- but that isn't necessarily true in Canada, so we're back to who knows?) and the Queen's English uses the French words. I've seen some heirloom eggplants that do more or less tell me why the word eggplant came along, although it doesn't much explain that big purple thing.

Back
Top Bottom