Can cheap pressure cookers (either stove-top or electric) reach 14.5 - 15 PSI?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanCyanSam

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

I'm trying to sterilize some Rye grain for cultivation purposes but in order to do so, I need a pressure cooker. They range from about £20 upwards, but do the lower range models still reach at least 14.5 (PSI) pounds per square inch? From what I can gather, that is the industry standard in the UK, but I could be mistaken.

Heres a rough example of the type or pressure cooking I'm talking about:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Ric...id=1510446879&sr=1-8&keywords=pressure+cooker

:punk: Many thanks guys :punk:

One of the close-up photos shows the handle with an imprint of 80KPa (Kilopascals). That converts to 11.6 PSI. I assume that's the maximum PSI available for this model.

One of the close-up photos shows the handle with an imprint of 80KPa (Kilopascals). That converts to 11.6 PSI. I assume that's the maximum PSI available for this model.
Thanks Andy.

I don't think thats going to cut the mustard. Or can the lack of pressure be balanced with a longer cooking time? There really is no margin for error, either. The contents have to be FULLY sterile.

also...

the instructions were 90 minutes at 15 psi. I don't know if there's some kind of equation that can calculate this

Back
Top Bottom