2016 Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks awesome Kayelle!

Still not decided about doing duck, I've never done it before and I'm a bit gun shy. But I'm looking forward to the duck fat when I do!

Looks awesome Kayelle!

Still not decided about doing duck, I've never done it before and I'm a bit gun shy. But I'm looking forward to the duck fat when I do!

Aww, you can do it! Frank Z was the guy here who turned me on to this duck recipe sometime ago. I had never done one either but he was so right about the recipe, and more importantly, the detailed instructions. I'm forever grateful, as I've done at least 7 perfect ducks since then, and soon to be 11 perfect ducks. You go girl!!! :chef:
http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/02/11/the-best-way-to-roast-a-duck-hello-crispy-skin/

Last edited:
Looks awesome Kayelle!

Go for it. But in the meantime, find the biggest, fattest roasting chicken at your supermarket. On standby for "just in case."

Change of plans, since Himself's cold is lingering and I'm not in the mood to drive 600+ miles confined to a Sonata with a sniffling and coughing machine. We'll spare the kids our germs, waiting for our real Christmas celebration once we get to Ohio. Our daughter said she's OK with us latching onto Orthodox Christmas, which falls on January 7th next year. ;)

Since we'll have an intimate dinner for two (probably on lap trays in front of the TV :LOL: ) I'll pull a pork tenderloin from the freezer and doll it up somehow. I now have to shop for veggies, since the only fresh one in the house is a butternut squash in the basement. Green beans are on sale, so they'll be on the menu. Probably the Brussels sprouts casserole. And cute little pull-apart rolls. Mom always had those because Dad delivered bread. It was my favorite part of dinner growing up. :heart:

OMG, I am in a panic. I have to get organized for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The to do list includes pulling the venison roast out of the freezer, making the appys, baking off the rest of the cookies, and figuring out what Mom will be wearing because we always wear red on Christmas (except for me, I wear purple).

ARGHH!!! well the vörtbröd went weird last night so I have to bake new bread .. *sigh*
I have a nice list what needs to be done.
Friday:
Bake more bread 3 loafs
Make carrot box
Marinate ribs
cook rice porridge
take stuff out from the freezer
make knäck
make tablets
reset sylta
fall over.

Saturday:
Wake up?
Mustard coat the ham
bake the ribs
bake the carrot cake
roast the sprouts.
While this is happening, i need to make coleslaw, boil sausage, reheat meatballs, fry sausage and arrange every thing

Been pretty busy this year with work and all...going to be home with gf on xmas eve after we finally stop the mayhem at the deli sometime mid afternoon. We are closing for two days. Craving chicken parm....not too traditional, but something that requires a bit of time to prep so I will finally be home early enough to do some up.
Keeping xmas dinner simple this year with the traditional turkey dinner. Chocolate pie.... Will have the adult siblings join us for this one....
Boxing day, back into the deli for the morning inventory and an hour or two of prep..Then, my kids are coming to the house after lunch so we'll have a Frankenstein of a buffet which will likely include, turkey dinner leftovers, charcuterie, oysters, and maybe even the odd club sandwich.....
Back to work on Tuesday like nothing ever happened...:LOL:

ARGH!!!!! The ham went to hell... A big bloody hole in the middle of the ham and the ham i just 3 pieces of meat loosely held together with fat. well where did the thermometer go? In the middle of the hole so, yeah it got over cooked and now is pulled ham.
MEH! Alla jävlars naveludd!!

OMG, I am in a panic. I have to get organized for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The to do list includes pulling the venison roast out of the freezer, making the appys, baking off the rest of the cookies, and figuring out what Mom will be wearing because we always wear red on Christmas (except for me, I wear purple).

I have faith that you can do it. Are you expecting any company?

Things have changed here as well.

I now have to work 3P to 7A on Christmas eve into Christmas morning, so DW and my boy are going to take Mom out to dinner on Christmas eve, and anyone else who shows up early enough is welcome. I just hope they let me know early enough so I can expand the reservation. Right now I have concurrent reservations at an Italian joint, and a Chinese place since my Mom loves Chinese food.

OK, so then Christmas morning will be an omelette bar, then we're all off to noon mass. Since dinner will be delayed, I will make a bunch of appys to hold everyone over when we get home from church.
Appys so far are shu mai (shrimp and crab), Korean butterfly shrimp, a variety of olives and pickles, and a veggie and dip platter.

If that's not a weird enough combo, then we will have a baked ham, lasagna, and kielbasi casserole (kielbasi baked with kraut, onions, and spuds) for the main course. Sides are Polish potato salad and coleslaw, mother's cheese, and who knows what else my relatives might bring.

This is not exactly a Rockwellian Christmas dinner.

More like a stoned Leroy Nieman.

Last edited:
Christmas eve flip flop. Wish we could wear flip flops for Christmas instead of high winter boots. I have the best Hawaiian shirt to wear to coordinate.

We are now having brunch Christmas eve day rather than a sit down dinner. Eggy sausage casserole, pan-kings for grand dtr, one of her faves, fruit salad, cookies and more.

And we are driving out to their place in the country rather than they coming in to see us. That change makes the most sense.

ARGH!!!!! The ham went to hell...
MEH! Alla jävlars naveludd!!

Oooh - sorry to hear this but it will still be delicious. Keep the faith and pass the wine.

Things have changed here as well.

I now have to work 3P to 7A on Christmas eve into Christmas morning, so ....

It sounds like you are going to have an international culinary extravaganza (positive spin and all..)

I've finally firmed up a dinner plan as well, after lots of good advice from DC'ers. We are having a get together that wraps the dinner hours with folks coming and going so a casual "plate on lap" meal is in order.

menu:

Veggie lasagna
Arugula Salad with oranges, celeriac and toasted pecans
Fresh crusty bread and butter
Chocolate stout cake w/ candied Orange peel garnish and whipped cream
Vast vats of red wine.

The beauty of this menu is that it can all be assembled well ahead and then fresh baked w/o much fuss.

The cake is baked and in the freezer. For some reason the chocolate stout cake improves in the freezer - amazing deep flavor.

The bread can be started the night before, and the lasagna assembled as well. Salad greens can be prepped a day in advance, dressings made, etc.

Tonight I'm tackling the shopping and making candied orange peel (which I have never done before). Any tips?

Christmas eve flip flop. Wish we could wear flip flops for Christmas instead of high winter boots. I have the best Hawaiian shirt to wear to coordinate.

We are now having brunch Christmas eve day rather than a sit down dinner. Eggy sausage casserole, pan-kings for grand dtr, one of her faves, fruit salad, cookies and more.

And we are driving out to their place in the country rather than they coming in to see us. That change makes the most sense.
What? You aren't wearing flip-flops? My parents have their house at 75F, I am wearing flip-flops in the house.

Tonight I'm tackling the shopping and making candied orange peel (which I have never done before). Any tips?

What recipe are you using? I do know they take a couple of days to dry, maybe more in high humidity. I would love some of those dipped in dark chocolate.

We don't have a special Christmas Eve menu.

Our Christmas Day dinner with family will be:

Ribeye Roast
Gravy
Lyonnaise Potatoes
Baked Potato (for SIL)
Veggie #1
Veggie #2
Pecan Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
Christmas Cookies
Pumpkin Roll
Ice Cream
Wine
Beer

A few changes: Au jus instead of gravy, broccoli and asparagus with Hollandaise, lemon bars instead of pie, Christmas cookies and paklava instead of pumpkin roll.

For Christmas Eve, we're having bloody marys, crab rangoon, shrimp tempura and a few other appys to keep us from hunger's door.

Back
Top Bottom