2023 Christmas Eve & Christmas Day Menus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks @Jusa ,that's the word I couldn't think of: reduction. We use this method often, helps to enhance flavors of food, dissolves the fats so making sauces creamier, tastier, meats remain tender and moist. It's an absolute MUST for "Risotto alla Milanese".

Thanks @Jusa ,that's the word I couldn't think of: reduction. We use this method often, helps to enhance flavors of food, dissolves the fats so making sauces creamier, tastier, meats remain tender and moist. It's an absolute MUST for "Risotto alla Milanese".
I love reduction sauces! I made one tonight.

Lol, I know what thyme looks like. I've used this method and it does work, although my sieve has a bit larger holes, so it's easy to get it started. It does work with multiple stems. Once the main stem is through, just pull on it from underneath and all the leaves are left behind in the sieve. If there are any tiny stems, I don't care, they're tender enough that it doesn't matter.
OK, GG, you and taxy have convinced me to try. And yeah, if the tiny stems are tender LOL they go in too!
Because I had to work the overnight shift on Christmas eve and Christmas day, I made (a lot of) stuffed onions on the 23rd. That was basically the big holiday meal. Then on the 24th, since I had to leave for work early, my wife and daughter had leftovers and I ate sandwiches at work for dinner. Today, the 25th, I whipped up an easy pasta dish with sliced smoked sausage, a can of cheddar cheese sauce and a jar of roasted garlic parmesan sauce, thrown together with medium shells. Tasty enough but pretty low class for a holiday. Didn't have much choice, though; there was only a bit over three hours from the time I got up until the time I left for work again.
It still sounds very tasty! Just because it's not traditional in some houses does not make it low class. In my books pasta is good anytime!

Dr. M, people who can rise to the occasion are the best! Your pasta dish sounds wonderful, and I'm sure everyone enjoyed it. You might want to make a note of the recipe for later use!

For Christmas Eve, we were having a quiet dinner at my in-laws. There were to be five of us (including my BIL). Mom was making the mashed potatoes, turkey and ham. I made curried cauliflower, brussel sprouts with bacon and cranberries, and carrots. I also made stuffing because Mom just wanted to make a plain turkey. When there I made the gravy.

I found out 2 days before that TB's sister and her husband were coming down. His niece and husband were coming down but having dinner at his aunt's. But, when they got down and found out our dinner was Christmas Eve, they wanted to come. I threw on extra brussel sprouts and carrots and doubled the stuffing. We ended up with 10 people (BIL's oldest son)

It was a great meal and we had a wonderful time.

On Christmas Day we had some leftovers we brought back. I was very tired and sore. But I felt so good working in the kitchen.

For Christmas Eve, we were having a quiet dinner at my in-laws. There were to be five of us (including my BIL). Mom was making the mashed potatoes, turkey and ham. I made curried cauliflower, brussel sprouts with bacon and cranberries, and carrots. I also made stuffing because Mom just wanted to make a plain turkey. When there I made the gravy.

I found out 2 days before that TB's sister and her husband were coming down. His niece and husband were coming down but having dinner at his aunt's. But, when they got down and found out our dinner was Christmas Eve, they wanted to come. I threw on extra brussel sprouts and carrots and doubled the stuffing. We ended up with 10 people (BIL's oldest son)

It was a great meal and we had a wonderful time.

On Christmas Day we had some leftovers we brought back. I was very tired and sore. But I felt so good working in the kitchen.
I'm happy to read that you had a great meal and a wonderful time. I hope you recuperated well from your marathon cooking efforts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom