2023 Thanksgiving Plans (U.S.A. - 11/23/2023)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The root veggie that I miss is parsley root. I don't think I have ever seen it on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.

You will likely find it at Farmer's Markets - but not the ones in the big cities. More out in the country style ones in large towns.
A dear Austrian friend used to grow them in her garden patch on their farm. I don't remember if I actually had them but I remember her saying what they were while we were weeding.
If I remember corecctly she said most people would not be able to tell the difference unless they were maybe served side by side.

You will likely find it at Farmer's Markets - but not the ones in the big cities. More out in the country style ones in large towns.
A dear Austrian friend used to grow them in her garden patch on their farm. I don't remember if I actually had them but I remember her saying what they were while we were weeding.
If I remember corecctly she said most people would not be able to tell the difference unless they were maybe served side by side.
Are you referring to parsley root vs parsnips? There is a specific flavour in parsnips that some people really dislike. It doesn't seem to be in the parsley root. One seldom even sees the seeds in North America. In the gardening world, they are called Hamburg root, Hamburg rooted parsley, Hamburg parsley, ... I found parsley easy to grow, so I do plan to try growing it. The leaves are like flat leaf parsley. I did a quick search and I found a lot more than in previous searches. I wonder if they will be the next "new" interesting veg.

Kathleen, please reserve a chair for me.

taxy, oops, yes I was. I think fresh parsnip tastes sort of sweet to me but older parsnip taste much more... hmmm.. funky? Don't know how to describe it.
Also from what I just looked up parsnip is sweeter than parsley root? But never having had it, don't know. What say you?

Are you referring to parsley root vs parsnips? There is a specific flavour in parsnips that some people really dislike. It doesn't seem to be in the parsley root. One seldom even sees the seeds in North America. In the gardening world, they are called Hamburg root, Hamburg rooted parsley, Hamburg parsley, ... I found parsley easy to grow, so I do plan to try growing it. The leaves are like flat leaf parsley. I did a quick search and I found a lot more than in previous searches. I wonder if they will be the next "new" interesting veg.
I don't see those Hamburb Rooted Parsley seeds much anymore, but I see them in some of the catalogs. Many years ago an old Polish fellow I worked with grew them in his garden, and would give me most of the parsley leaves - he grew them for the roots. And, while they aren't quite as large sized, the roots on other flat leaf parsleys is too large for me to grow in the hydroponics, and also gets rootbound in windowsill boxes I've tried growing them in - I have to grow some curly parsley, in those!

Kathleen, please reserve a chair for me.

taxy, oops, yes I was. I think fresh parsnip tastes sort of sweet to me but older parsnip taste much more... hmmm.. funky? Don't know how to describe it.
Also from what I just looked up parsnip is sweeter than parsley root? But never having had it, don't know. What say you?
I haven't had them in years. I remember liking them better than parsnip, but I can't remember why. DH detests parsnip. I'm hoping he will like parsley root. I like having a variety of root veg. They add a lot to a stew or soup and are great roasted.

I wasn't sure about the chocolate or french silk pie until I made it tonight, with a date/oats/vanilla/naked peanut butter powder soft crust pressed into a small dish. (about 4 servings) Then the filling, cocoa, vanilla, sugar, silken tofu.
Mushroom stuffing with sweet potatoes layered on top, with mashed potatoes layered on top, with cranberries added to the top. Mushroom gravy. Maybe green beans.
edited to add: a crustless pumpkin pie, probably for breakfast.

Last edited:
I think I might make Honey Sesame chicken with blue cheese and cheddar potatoes and Hawaiian rolls with honey butter with strawberries and whip cream for dessert. I'm just staying home and having a very peaceful quiet Thanksgiving with the cat.

I have a no bake pumpkin dish I usually make with a crust made with cream cheese, and a cream cheese base with pumpkin + a cup of cold milk + 2 packages of vanilla instant pudding all mixed together with seasoning and it's really good. But I already had the strawberries so I may have the pumpkin for Christmas. With my Chinese take out. LOL

Last edited:
bliss - more info please?
Mushroom stuffing with sweet potatoes layered on top, with mashed potatoes layered on top, with cranberries added to the top.

dancing-turkey.gif

bliss - more info please?
Mushroom stuffing with sweet potatoes layered on top, with mashed potatoes layered on top, with cranberries added to the top.
This one is the stuffing with sweet potatoes then potatoes, and we topped it with gravy, from 2 years ago. (I don't have today's assembled yet.) My pics from 2 years ago.
thanksgiving-005.jpg

thanksgiving-002.jpg

I lined the pan with parchment to make it easy to take out. It would be fabulous as a side or meal to travel for a family gathering. It is very heavy and serves a lot of people.
There was too much that year, so I froze it in serving sizes and that was delicious too during busy December.

It probably came from https://yourmomsvegan.com/recipes/vegan-thanksgiving-casserole

Last edited:
This one is the stuffing with sweet potatoes then potatoes, and we topped it with gravy, from 2 years ago. (I don't have today's assembled yet.) My pics from 2 years ago.
thanksgiving-005.jpg

thanksgiving-002.jpg

I lined the pan with parchment to make it easy to take out. It would be fabulous as a side or meal to travel for a family gathering. It is very heavy and serves a lot of people.
There was too much that year, so I froze it in serving sizes and that was delicious too during busy December.

It probably came from https://yourmomsvegan.com/recipes/vegan-thanksgiving-casserole
That looks impressive !!! I got to remember that for next year ( or sooner).

this year's pictures.
The casserole is half the size this year because I followed the recipe exactly for amounts but if you double it, it's very nice that way too and both fit in the 9x13 inch pan.
Our chocolate pie with date-oat crust.

And crustless pumpkin pie.
thanksgiving-005.jpg

Casserole w/o gravy/cranberries/broccoli. Following the recipe of about 4 cups stuffing, 4 cups sweet potatoes, 4 cups mashed potatoes w/skins in a 9x13 pan. (last time it was the recipe doubled, so much higher)

thanksgiving-006.jpg

And the slice.
thanksgiving-007.jpg

I must say, that after a full week of cooking multiple things each night following recipes, it's nice that tonight can just whip something up without having to be specific. I almost got culinarily burnt out. My daughter and her fiancé came up from Maryland, so I've been going above and beyond each night + preparing for Thanksgiving. Most days waking up at 4am to cook. Although fun and productive, it was nice to slow down a bit. Although, today we were supposed to take in from our favorite take out Chinese place to give me a break, ironically, they had some kind of gas line issues and were closed, so I had to cook on the fly anyway. But things I always cook, so no stress.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom