2018 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since they are minute burger buns, I assume they are for sliders.
Minute? They're 40-Minute Buns. You can make them whatever size you want. I weighed these at three ounces and they were burger size for us.
0704182010.jpg

What, not up to your standards? :-p :ROFLMAO: If I eat a half-pound burger, I can't eat my corn!

I guess I'm more "advanced" than you.

OK, I can see there is some confusion about whether your buns are minute (as in small) or that they only last for 40 minutes. What happens to them after 40 minutes?

I guess I'm more "advanced" than you.

OK, I can see there is some confusion about whether your buns are minute (as in small) or that they only last for 40 minutes. What happens to them after 40 minutes?
You eat them! It takes 40 minutes to mix, shape, rise and bake. Then eat up! :yum:

Last edited:
I'm not baking at the moment. I'm trying to empty the chest freezer in order to de-frost it (and to see if there are any dead bodies secreted in there - it's been a long time since I got that far down!). I do know that there is a banana and pecan nut loaf-cake (from an American recipe kindly translated into pounds and ounces by the donor) and a Kelloggs "All Bran" fruit loaf in the freezer but I'm not tempted to eat them as I'm trying to improve on the 2 stones (28lbs) I lost before going to the reunion 3 weeks ago. I could do with dropping another 1/2 stone.

No baking until the heat subsides...
I don't like to use the big oven when it's hot, but I baked these in my toaster oven. The oven sits on the counter right above the drawers for my silverware and for my misc. knives. Even when I'm digging around in one of those drawers, I don't feel any heat being thrown from the toaster oven. I've used my toaster ovens a lot over the years; I'm glad that I got one big enough so I can use the muffin tin and I can bake a loaf of bread without it hitting the heating elements in the top. Bonus, this one has two racks. I can bake fish and a veggie (or warm bread) at the same time.

They must have work on the AC this year. When it hit 90 I had it cranked open all the way. In about 15 minutes, I had to turn it down. Then again, again. Finally I shut it off. This apartment was freezing. So I turned the oven on for 30 minutes.

Well, the heat has subsided. It's a dry comfortable day. The weather is perfect for baking so I whipped up a batch of onion bagels while I had the chance. Been putting off the bagels during the heat wave and I've been wanting one.

Today, I’m going to try “copycat” Ritz crackers, as they are the best cracker for my surimi salad, to which I’ve apparently become addicted. I’ve got two recipes that are very similar, almost identical actually, so I’m hoping for at least moderate success. I’m more concerned about the texture of the cracker than I am about the flavor; anything that’s buttery and salty is just fine! But that texture that starts out crunchy, but then melts in your mouth I expect to be not easily duplicated. If anyone’s got any tips, they’d certainly be appreciated!

Joel...you are making and baking homemade crackers in July in the desert? :ohmy: I live in the desert too, and there's no way I could even begin to attempt this, being the heat wimp that I am. :) Please let us know how they turn out!

Joel...you are making and baking homemade crackers in July in the desert? :ohmy: I live in the desert too, and there's no way I could even begin to attempt this, being the heat wimp that I am. :) Please let us know how they turn out!
Mark keeps this apartment so cold that the oven heat is a relief for me!

I haven’t gotten around to the crackers yet. Mark fell and injured himself, dislocated hip I think, so I’ve been tending to him. Had to call the EMTs, though, and they just carted him off to the hospital.

JJ, sorry to hear of Mark's hip. Our wishes for a quick recovery.

I made a banana bread with walnuts, sliced it and wrapped the slices for the freezer (except for one slice I'll have for breakfast in the morning).

His hip isn’t dislocated, it’s broken. He’s going in for surgery this afternoon. Insert several swear words here.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Mark, Joel. Try to take care of yourself as well, as you care for him.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind wishes for Mark’s swift recovery. He is the worst patient in the world (I think we have a trophy somewhere), so best direct your prayers and wishes to the medical professionals taking care of him (or trying to)!

I’m gonna make some burritos tonight to smuggle in so he can have a break from Lean Cuisine and lime jello every so often. He really liked my refried beans! Thank the powers that be that a broken hip doesn’t necessitate any kind of restrictive diet!

Once again, many thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom