2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMG_3534.JPG

Orange-Cranberry Cake.
Rather than make the recipe as called for, I made two half-sized Bundt Cakes.
One for us now and one for the freezer.

Today, I got it into my head to make burger buns - the soft ones you put burgers in. Not sure why as baking with yeast is not a forte of mine. However, I had the ingredients to hand, plus a US recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233652/homemade-hamburger-buns/

I must be honest, I struggled with the mix of measures in this recipe! However, this is what I managed to produce. Not beautiful, but they did come out quite "pillowy" and without a crust on the top. My brother Ollie pronounced his burger "perfect"! (He is a good brother.)
1703964578945.jpeg

They look GREAT Katy! I've never made buns. Every time someone posts about making them I say I will... and of course, never do.

Well done! Miss Katy!

They look GREAT Katy! I've never made buns. Every time someone posts about making them I say I will... and of course, never do.

Well done! Miss Katy!
Aw! Thanks Dragn!! I honestly never thought I would make them either. Every time I try to make anything with yeast, I end up with very tough exteriors that just wouldn't work with a burger, so I was a bit dubious. They were on their first prove when I had a ring on my front doorbell and it was my older brother - estranged for over 7 years - on my doorstep! The proving went on for much longer as a result and so I was even more dubious as I knocked it back and cut it onto 8 balls. It's a double Christmas miracle as far as I am concerned! :heart:

Today, I got it into my head to make burger buns - the soft ones you put burgers in. Not sure why as baking with yeast is not a forte of mine. However, I had the ingredients to hand, plus a US recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233652/homemade-hamburger-buns/

I must be honest, I struggled with the mix of measures in this recipe! However, this is what I managed to produce. Not beautiful, but they did come out quite "pillowy" and without a crust on the top. My brother Ollie pronounced his burger "perfect"! (He is a good brother.) View attachment 67384
I think they are beautiful. But, I can see why you didn't consider their appearance to be perfect. Who cares? They puffed up beautifully. They didn't have a crust on top. Your brother is right. They are perfect, for the purpose.

Does anyone know how I should adapt that recipe to using a food processor instead of a stand mixer? Or even how to adapt it to kneading by hand?

Does anyone know how I should adapt that recipe to using a food processor instead of a stand mixer? Or even how to adapt it to kneading by hand?
I'm not sure that "adapt" is exactly what I would say...it is all about the feel of the dough, I think. See this LINK - the instructions say, "To make the dough: Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a soft, smooth dough."

Sorry I can't be of more help...

K'Girl, are you in Flagstaff? I lived in Tucson for 5 years, and went up there often. It's a great little college town!
@Silversage no, this is Cowboyville Arizona, not them big cities!
We did move here from the greater Tucson area, after leaving Hawaii that is.
Which would I choose? Cowboyville!
Very quiet, nobody bothers nobody, not a whole lot here in the way of shopping, but that's why there's the internet!
And I say Cowboyville in a loving way, literally, it's all Ranching, Farming and then self-employed folks working from home.
Everyone is wearing sturdy boots, blue jeans, a good heavy shirt and then that cowboy hat/baseball cap of some sort.
LOVE IT!

I'm not sure that "adapt" is exactly what I would say...it is all about the feel of the dough, I think. See this LINK - the instructions say, "To make the dough: Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a soft, smooth dough."

Sorry I can't be of more help...
Thanks. Wouldn't I have to pull the dough out of the food processor to feel it properly? I bought the food processor I have specifically because it is supposed to be good for kneading dough. It supposedly takes less time than by machine or by hand. That's part of why I was asking.

If anyone uses a food processor to knead dough, can you give me any tips?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom