2020 (resived addition) My Chicken Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I did my classic chicken salad from scratch tonight rather than the shortcut way with leftover chicken. It just doesn't get better than this, if I do say so myself. This is the slightly revised addition I posted here several years ago.

K-L's Company Chicken Salad ..(revised)

3 large chicken breast halves with skin on, bone in.
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1 cup bias cut celery
4 bias cut green onions (some green)
1 cup frozen peas, rinsed in warm water to defrost
2 cups seedless red grapes, cut in half
1 cup of sliced or slivered almonds, pecans or sunflower seeds work too.
Dressing~~
3/4 cup Best Foods Mayo (Hellman's)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbs. Chicken bullion granules or mashed BBB chicken paste.
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper (6 or 7 grinds)
1/2 tsp. Accent
1 Tbs. of Singapore Seasoning, or to taste. It's wonderful, and free shipping. https://www.myspicesage.com/singapore-seasoning-p-227.html
Juice of 1 lime (if you have it)

The most important part of this recipe is the preparation of the chicken.
Sprinkle the breasts liberally with Lawry's Seasoned salt, and roast on a broiler pan at 425 degrees till tested at 145 degrees. I highly recommend using a remote probe (the best way) or an instant read thermometer. Do not over cook! Allow them to cool. Finger shred (important) the chicken meat, along with the crispy skin and discard the bones or save for stock. Combine with the rest of the ingredients and toss with the dressing. This is even better done ahead and served the next day.
It's wonderful to serve it plated with hearts of romaine spears.
I've served this dozens of times for ladies luncheons with rave reviews.
We love it for a hot summer dinner.

Attachments

• P7100019.jpg
    P7100019.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Sounds good K. Thank you.

I bet TJ's tart dried cherries would be good addition.

(I usually cook my poultry to 165°F internal temp.)

Sounds delicious :yum:
Sounds good K. Thank you.

I bet TJ's tart dried cherries would be good addition.

(I usually cook my poultry to 165°F internal temp.)
I bet Kroger's dried cherries would be good, too ;)

Chicken continues to cook as it cools. I pull mine at 155°F so carryover cooking finishes it. I find breasts are a bit dry when cooked to 165. Safe temperature is 160.

Sounds delicious :yum:I bet Kroger's dried cherries would be good, too ;)

Chicken continues to cook as it cools. I pull mine at 155°F so carryover cooking finishes it. I find breasts are a bit dry when cooked to 165. Safe temperature is 160.

I used my remote probe thermometer and took it out of the oven at 145, I left the probe in as it cooled on the counter, and it finished at 165. I'll never cook breasts any other way now. Ohhhhh how I love that remote probe!
I inserted it length ways into the thickest part using the largest of the three breasts and they were perfect.

I haven't overcooked anything since I bought that little darlin', and worth every penny. I like how simple it is.
Here's what I have...https://www.thermoworks.com/DOT?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo6ahvLLG6gIVUD2tBh2RmAKKEAQYAyABEgIv6fD_BwE

Last edited:
I used my remote probe thermometer and took it out of the oven at 145, I left the probe in as it cooled on the counter, and it finished at 165. I'll never cook breasts any other way now. Ohhhhh how I love that remote probe!
I inserted it length ways into the thickest part using the largest of the three breasts and they were perfect.

I haven't overcooked anything since I bought that little darlin', and worth every penny. I like how simple it is.
Here's what I have...https://www.thermoworks.com/DOT?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo6ahvLLG6gIVUD2tBh2RmAKKEAQYAyABEgIv6fD_BwE
That link won't work for me. :(

They are really useful, eh. I have the ChefAlarm with remote probe from Thermoworks. It's similar, but also has a timer. Only problem, now there seems to be something wrong with my probe. It says "no probe", even when the probe is firmly plugged in. I followed their suggestion of replacing the battery, but no luck. Thanks for the reminder. I just sent them an email asking what next.

I have had my ChefAlarm for nearly five years and use it a lot. I mentioned the probe problem because yours uses the same probe, so might be prone to getting a similar issue. If so, try the battery replacement before getting too worried.

Last edited:
Tell me more about the seasoning. Do you use it in anything else? I love spice blends, but often use them for a single dish and then they grow old. In reading its description, it sounds tasty - do you have other uses for it...although the chicken salad sounds good enough on its own!

Tell me more about the seasoning. Do you use it in anything else? I love spice blends, but often use them for a single dish and then they grow old. In reading its description, it sounds tasty - do you have other uses for it...although the chicken salad sounds good enough on its own!

Actually it was a happy freebee from My Spice Sage, as not only do they have free shipping they also send you a free generous choice of spice with your order and I chose the Singapore Seasoning, land it has no salt.I just reordered another bag today as I like it so much...especially with tuna salad, in addition to the chicken salad. I bet it would be wonderful in deviled eggs too. I like it a lot on fish and chicken also. Anyway, I really like this outfit, as even one item ships free. I like Penzey's but the free shipping needs a big order.
https://www.myspicesage.com/singapore-seasoning-p-227.html

Last edited:
I also love spice blends. I used to buy blends but like you said they would be used for a single dish and then forgotten in back of shelf.
Now I make my own all purpose house blend seasoning. That way I know exactly what's in the blend. I use it on everything but add additional spices for specific dishes. Example - I add poultry seasoning for poultry and pork, old bay for seafood, cumin, regular chili powder and other chili powders for chili and Mexican.
Sometimes I add a small amount of vinegar powder to it for veggies, salads, meats and fish.
It gets used so often it never has time to get old.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom