94% Vodka and cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was always under the impression that the sugar cube (and sugar is not always a "must") was placed on the absinthe spoon over the glass. Water is then drizzled in very slowly allowing the sugar cube to melt until the proper "cloudiness" (louche) is gained. If sugar is not involved then water is just poured slowly in. No flame is involved.

BUT, back to the OP's question - GB answered it. I have several recipes that require Vodka - all of which are tomato sauce based.

JDP said:
Hey Boufo I believe that actually comes Sweden or one of the Northern European countries. It has an extract (woodruff ?) which gives it a hallucigenic effect supposedly and is illegal in the USA. It is very bitter in flavor, bright green in color and yes there is a pouring procedure that involves sugar and fire. It's nick name is the Little Green Fairy, or something like that.
JDP
JDP, further to the origin of species alcoholic, I found my bottle of Absinth. It states on the label that it's bottled by Hill's Liquere, a company established in 1920 and located in the Czech Republic. Incidentally, its alcoholic content is a paltry 70% (140 proof) compared to the inflated 75-80% I stated earlier. Should we start with a shot of it before we continue with Ouzo on your next visit to Greece?:mrgreen:

boufa06 said:
JDP, regardless of the country of origin, what I wanted to draw attention to is the fact that due to its high alcoholic content, the drink is not recommended for consumption neat but is supposed to be treated in such a way as to reduce its alcoholic content greatly before it's finally consumed.

But flaming really doesn't reduce alcohol content that much. Check out the chart that GB posted.

The alcohol that is from Scandanavia is called Aquavit.

kitchenelf said:
BUT, back to the OP's question - GB answered it.
I hereby move to strike all other posts from this thread except the original one and GB's answer. Will anyone second it?:ROFLMAO:

jennyema said:
But flaming really doesn't reduce alcohol content that much. Check out the chart that GB posted.
jennyema, the table you mentioned fail to state for how long flaming persists. Never mind. Let's assume that, as the table states, 75% of the alcohol initially present is left after flaming. So, the 'after flaming' alcoholic content of Absinth becomes 0.75 x 70 = 52.5% (105 proof). Isn't this a significant reduction of the original alcoholic content? I did not imply that after flaming Absinth became equivalent to Coca Cola. In reality, the alcoholic content 'after flaming' is much less because the flaming goes on for much longer than the instant flaming process probably assumed by the ones who compile the table in question.

sorry to interject but correct me if im wrong isn't moonshine 98% or something like that. I'm not even sure if it is still made but I have heard from different sources that it is. If so wouldnt that be a suitable alcohol if he could find it?

boufa06 said:
Dear God, GB! You must be quite a drinker! And I thought that, despite my background, I wasn't doing too bad myself! At least I know now what drink to offer you should you come around one of these days. Cheers!:LOL:

Further to your next to last post, we do have a bottle of a drink called Arbsinth I believe which comes from the Czech Republic if memory serves me right. Its alcoholic content is about 75 -80%. However, when you drink it, you are supposed to light it up. It burns with a nice blue flame on the surface. You are supposed to drink it when the flame goes off. By that time, its alcoholic content is greatly reduced and therefore it is much safer to drink. The bottle does carry a warning about drinking it neat.

I have actually done some research on absinth. It was created in a lot of different european countries. From what I read a few months back the czech republic actually just lifted a ban on absinth. Absinth is about 70% alcohol if memory serves me right. The way that you are supposed to "prepare" Absinth is by pouring the Absinth into the cup until you have about 1/3 filled up. You then place the slotted or "absinthe" spoon over the glass and put the sugar cube on top as kitchenelf mentioned. you then pour water over the sugar cub slowely until you fill the glass. You then stir the remaining sugar that has not mixed at the bottom.

tsi88kid said:
I'm not even sure if it is still made

Um, I hear it is still made and it MAY come in plum and blackberry flavors and peach is quite tasty too - I hear anyway. :glare:

My favorite motto for a bumper sticker: Tennessee, where the moon comes over the mountains in gallon jugs. ;)

For the original poster, the difference between 94 proof and 90 proof is not that much and the grandmother could probably use just the same amount. Certainly not double--that would throw the liquid proportions off appreciably.

EverClear is essentially legal moonshine!! And as others have said, whether it is sold or not is determined by state law. Can you say Purple Jesus, the popular adaptation of lab alcohol!!
As for flaming--or even boiling, as wine preps. There is still an appreciable amount of alcohol left. It might not be important for any except those that are avoiding alcohol, for any reason. But for those serving to them, it IS important to know that fact in the name of fairness.

kitchenelf said:
Um, I hear it is still made and it MAY come in plum and blackberry flavors and peach is quite tasty too - I hear anyway. :glare:

My favorite motto for a bumper sticker: Tennessee, where the moon comes over the mountains in gallon jugs. ;)

hahahaha nice and you're still alive to tell the story.:dizzy: did you end up like that smiley?

tsi88kid said:
hahahaha nice and you're still alive to tell the story.:dizzy: did you end up like that smiley?

Shake it - it has to have small bubbles - pour some in the lid and light it - it must have a blue flame. While it may be good I know when to stop so :dizzy: is NOT going to happen! Dull, throbbing headache is more likely to happen :blush:

I thought you all might like a little story. A friend was coming in from a hard run. She reached into the garage fridge where she kept bottles of water. Grabbed one and gulped and nearly fell down. She'd forgotten that the last time she went "home" she'd brought back a bottle of 'shine. In the same type bottle she kept water in for her runs.

I have a French friend who makes cherries in Everclear. I've used vodka and other forms of alcohol, but cannot get the same effect. This is a freind from my teenaged years. Her mother still puts aside a jar when she makes them, for me.

does anyone know of a use for alcohol, as an ingredient of course, in which a flavor is released because it is alcohol soluable? besides tomatoes.

are other nightshade veggies similar?

I am not 100% sure, but I think shrimp may be one of those things like tomatoes BT. Also vanilla beans. I know there are others, but off the top of my head I am not coming up with any.

Grey Goose

GB whenever I see vodka, I think of Grey Goose. Grey Goose reminds me that is the one you suggested and said you liked. I go to the store and behind the counter as to the fact the manager told me sometimes it just seems to 'walk away'. Holidays are coming so good reason to buy some again. GB are you still drinking Grey Goose or did you find something else?
Thanks for informing me of how good this vodka is. No sting just so smooth.

I do still drink Grey Goose, but I also enjoy a number of others. Belvedere is a very good one and I will also drink Kettle One if GG is not available. There are many many others that are great too. Ask you local liquor store to show you what they have in stock for Ultra Premium Vodkas. You will find a lot of them that you will probably enjoy as much as GG.

does anyone know of a use for alcohol, as an ingredient of course, in which a flavor is released because it is alcohol soluable? besides tomatoes.

I guess when I poach bug tails in champagne and then make a sauce out of the poaching liquid, the sauce is flavoured by the bugs. Haven't tried it with other types of seafood.

As a stab in the dark, maybe beetroot as that permeates most things it comes into contact with. If you stick citrus rind into alcohol, it taints a little. As do strawberries.

Ok, now you did it. I'm going to have to research this question.

Back
Top Bottom