A week from now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coballs

Assistant Cook
This is just a little piece of writing that I need to get out of my head.

So it is now Wednesday morning 12:37 A.M. and I have retyped and deleted my sentence about 20 times by now. What I want to say is that in a week from now I will be attending my last class ever. College is over for me. Bittersweet some say, well I think its just plain bitter. My whole life I expected things to go differently than they have, but they tend to stay awful. My memory is so shot from all the bad decisions in my life I don't know if my life is awful or not. All those years down the pipe it feels like. People make you think by the time you graduate college you will know what you want to do with your life. Well hell, I still don't know and I'm graduating in less than 2 weeks. Maybe once I get on stage and receive my diploma and open it, it will be a map of my life (Wouldn't that be easy).

What I really appreciate from all of this is that I won't have to carry a stinking back pack around anymore. Talk about why people have back problems. Have you ever thought about how many years you are lugging a bag around on your back. Its no fun! Anywhos.

I'm a little excited, a little anxious, and a lot of scared of my future. My path is uncertain, but I can't stay anywhere to long, I have ADD or OCD or one of those acronyms for impatient fidgety people. People quit smoking cold turkey, well I like to say I'm starting something cold chicken.

I have no formal experience working in a restaurant or cooking. But cooking is the one thing that keeps me out of my head and keeps my body from being an impatient fidgety acronym person. I hope it works out for me, I hope I enjoy it, and I hope the cooking industry accepts and appreciates me. All I want is to feel like I belong and know that I am part of the community. It's something I have been searching for a long time, and I think I finally found it. I will put this theory to test, and if it isn't for me, well than I hope my diploma has a buried treasure map on it instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have talked, at length, through PM's. I wish you all the luck in the world. Go forth, and prosper. You will never know until you try, and after our conversations, I feel like you are wanting to get in it, for the right reasons.

I'll just leave this here:

527454_506291676051814_1746760484_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have some people in my life that have had this same challenge. First, it's not uncommon to change your major, most people do it three times on average. Given that you finished in any field just proves you have the stick-to-it-ness to finish what you started. That is a huge accomplishment. It does not matter that your degree is in a different area than your chosen field of work!
My father was like this......too much energy for a desk job. He became a mechanic and then a trainer for mechanics. As long as he was moving about he was content.
My one son is like this.....his first good job was as a cook and he managed a restaurant, moving about all night long. Then he was as a landscaper. Moving about constantly, this was very good for him. Then, as an installer for cabling for tv services and later computer services. Moving about the entire time and driving from location to location. Then, working for a company installing office spaces, again, driving to different locations and moving heavy furniture into those locations.
There are many occupations that work for people that have a little ADD or OCD. You are more the same than different.
If you find something you like to do, like cooking, then rejoice in it.

Best of luck to you, Coballs! Follow your heart. Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't enjoy every day just to earn a living. Do what you love and the money will follow (or, at least I like to think that is true).

I, too, wish you nothing but success. Speaking as an older person being offered few choices after my job of 25 years disappeared, I will say that returning to school (after some 40 odd years) has been immensely challenging and satisfying. I wish I'd have had this kind of enthusiasm when I was in college back in 1972. I have learned that nothing, absolutely nothing, one learns is valueless. It might not be obvious for a spell, but knowledge can and will come in handy down the road.

Best of luck to you Coballs. May your future be filled with wonderful things!

ADD, OCD those are good exuse words, i have some of those things my self. But the only word you need to really learn is Responsibility. The moment you learn that word, I mean really learn it, Everyhting will fall in it's place. I canno tpromise you that you will be a multy millionare, but you will have a good life. In every aspect of it.

Back
Top Bottom