Adding liquor to cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebaconista

Assistant Cook
I'm trying to come up with a bunch of different recipes for cupcakes laced with liquor. I'm thinking the best way to do this is by making a simple syrup and adding alcohol, but how do I add it to the cooked cupcake. Do I just pour it on? If so, how much?

You can treat your cupcakes just as you would a holiday fruitcake, sprinkle your liquor over the top after they have baked and cooled. Just use a high quality liquor. Cheap liquor sometimes tastes bitter. I use rum on mine, but brandy or cognac work best.

Last edited:
I use 1/4 cup of cognac as part of the liquid when I make a poundcake mix. It gives it a nice taste and helps me use up the cognac. Selkie is right, when it comes to booze in cooking and baking. Garbage in garbage out!

I don't bake much, so never have vanilla extract on hand. So when I do bake, I use whatever liquor is on hand instead of the extract. Works well.

You could poke holes in the cupcake too so that they liquor would run down into the holes.

So far I haven't tried liquor in the sponge (but certainly will now!!) but have filled muffins with alcoholic fruit compots (champagne & strawberry works great! Wimbledon soon!!) or done truffle style chocolate frostings (with bright colours for white choc basis) with a kick of brandy or rum or similar.

Let us know how you get on :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom