Air layering curry tree, using Rooter Pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
I finally cut that air layered section of the curry tree out, to see if it had rooted - it was getting very large, and I was going to trim a bunch of it off again, and take it up to that Indian grocer I give it to, since I'm going up there to a dentist appt. tomorrow near there. It rooted some in about 4½ months - it took the kaffir lime 7 months, but the branch didn't get nearly as large. About the same amount of rooting though; I hope the roots support this many leaves.

Here is the Rooter Pot, first put on the branch in April. I kept the coir moist with water, occasionally adding some Clonex to it in the beginning, and a few times along the way.
Rooting Pot set up on curry tree, 4-13-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here it is in June, with new growth on the plant, before and after the pot was covered up:
The curry tree, showing the areas of new growth, 6-8 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Curry tree 6-27 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Roots forming on the air larered branch of the curry tree, started on 4-13, and uncovered on 9-2. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

New air layered curry tree, potted in a 3 gallon fabric container, 9-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the tree that I cut that large section out of, in the center. You can see there is still a lot left there, and I have cut generous amounts of it recently.
Curry tree, with the new tree cut out of the center. 9-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

GG, Something that the bay laurel does that is similar to the curry tree is put out frequent new runners, or whatever they are called, and they can be carefully dug up, and potted, to make a new plant. My bay laurel seems to do this even more, and I pull them out, like weeds! Someday, I'll have to try to find a market for them in the area.

GG, Something that the bay laurel does that is similar to the curry tree is put out frequent new runners, or whatever they are called, and they can be carefully dug up, and potted, to make a new plant. My bay laurel seems to do this even more, and I pull them out, like weeds! Someday, I'll have to try to find a market for them in the area.
Yes, mine got to about 30 feet tall with three trunks. DH cut down two of them and reduced the size of the third. It grew back from the roots with suckers. If there are Jamaicans in your area, the leaves and wood are used to make jerk chicken and pork.

Wow! 30 feet is a big bay laurel! I'm just outside the zone where it can be overwintered - one of the things I have to bring in, come late fall. The curry tree even earlier, as it doesn't like it below 50°.

I had no idea it could grow that tall [emoji38] I was so busy at work for a long time, I barely got into the garden, so I didn't really notice it till it started interfering with the growth of my other herbs. It's almost in the middle of my herb garden. I'll get a picture later.

Back
Top Bottom