Ambien Is Evil!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the othe board I frequent just had a thread a melatonin. I have considered buying some and taking it. I won't say that I have problems sleeping, per se, but, with the old queen-size bed that we have, and the fact that we usually have several anklebiter chihuahua's that insist on sleeping with us, in odd spots that don't really make it comfortable for me, I do wake up a few times during the night. We're planning on getting a NEW king-size bed in a month or two. I know that will help alleviate a lot of my problems, but I was thinking about the melatonin as well. PeppA has told me that melatonin probably won't help her sleep soundly. I'll be sure and mention the lavender and chamomile tea. I have a lavender plant growing right now, maybe I'll get some chamomile going as well.

One of the othe board I frequent just had a thread a melatonin. I have considered buying some and taking it. I won't say that I have problems sleeping, per se, but, with the old queen-size bed that we have, and the fact that we usually have several anklebiter chihuahua's that insist on sleeping with us, in odd spots that don't really make it comfortable for me, I do wake up a few times during the night. We're planning on getting a NEW king-size bed in a month or two. I know that will help alleviate a lot of my problems, but I was thinking about the melatonin as well. PeppA has told me that melatonin probably won't help her sleep soundly. I'll be sure and mention the lavender and chamomile tea. I have a lavender plant growing right now, maybe I'll get some chamomile going as well.
I sleep very soundly when I use Melatonin (and we have a German Shepherd and 2 cats that like to sleep with us at least a portion of the night!), but then I have almost always slept soundly once I fall asleep.

Someone mentioned Tylenol PM. I have used it and it works for me, and I usually don't have any problems. Last week was a different story, but I blame it on the kidney stones rather than the T. PM. I fell soundly asleep, but James kept waking me up by talking to me, or so I thought. It turns out I was the one waking him up by talking, and then when he would respond, I got irritated that he was waking me up! I do remember telling him, at one point, that I was just talking because of my medicine and pain and to stop talking to me!

:)Barbara

No one has mentioned taking Tylenol PM or Advil PM...I went through months of not being able to sleep and found taking half of either of those did the trick. I'm with kadesma at this point...if I can sleep, great - if not, I watch just "rest" and think pleasant, happy thoughts!

The active ingredient in these is basically benadryl ... and it makes my legs jump! I'm in the "hot bath" camp, and sometimes I read before I do that. It really helps me wind down.

I am so sorry for the OPs bad Ambien experience!

No one has mentioned taking Tylenol PM or Advil PM...I went through months of not being able to sleep and found taking half of either of those did the trick.

I needed 3 or 4

For a while was having a hard time sleeping due to significant stress. I was going to look into Ambien when when the news had a story about people sleep-eating. One woman apparently woke up with a buttered cigarette in her mouth... I saw my future and stuck with the PM's and Bourbon. Thankfully sleeping is no longer a problem.

Why do I recall some sort of "warning" with melatonin? I say research and proceed with caution on anything. What works for one of us, may not be the answer for the rest of us. Our bodies are pretty complex.

I've never taken Ambien or any other prescription sleep aid. I have taken melatonin and give it to my kids from time to time when they have screwed up their sleep schedule. But I have had friends that had the same problems with Ambien mentioned here.

I get chronic headaches, and sometimes have trouble getting back to sleep once I wake up during the night. My neurologist suggested I take melatonin, so that tells me it's safe for me. I would suggest, however, that anyone thinking of taking it check with their doctor first. Even non-prescription pharmaceuticals, herbs, etc., can interact with other drugs you may be taking, or cause an allergic reaction, so to be on the safe side, let your doctor know you want to try it.

I have sever back problems, and it was prescribed to me to stop muscle spasms during the night. You have to take it and go directly to bed. The active ingredient only works for a short period of time, if you fight your sleep, then the medicine wears off quickly. Have had problems staying asleep from time to time. I tried melatonin a few years ago, and did not like it.

I have taken Ambien off and on for several years now and it is a dagerous drug if not used responsibly. I don't like taking prescription or otc drugs, but fortunately, Ambien is the only prescription I have and take on occasions. No, it does not keep you asleep.

I don't have problems falling asleep, I have problems staying asleep. I can only sleep for about 4 hours at the most before waking up and being sleepless. So on those nights, I keep 1/2 an Ambien by my bed side. I will take that on the occasions that I wake up and can't fall back asleep.

It works for me and I have no ill side effects. (Or crazy stunts!) But I agree with most here that if you can find a natural alternative to your sleep problems, I believe that is the way to go. Just my .10 worth!

Sometimes I resort to the droning of George Noory's radio show. Some people regularly nod off watching or listening to TV. A couple ounces of 90 proof schnapps and counting sheep can also be helpful but sleeping too deeply could be hazardous to one's health.

yep, the droning of a tv show really does it for me......I used to ask my hubby how an oil rig worked and off I'd go...........unfortunately I don't always have him nearby and he's figured it out. my ulterior interest........darn.........also an old, very boring to read entomology book does it for me, too.............. let's read about the 13 orders of insects and how they differ..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i have had problems getting to sleep and staying asleep. this has gone on all my life. i tried many things and meds. and liquor and so on and so on. nothing works, so have for the most part just given up. now that i am retired, can sleep late or take a nap and i do. i have tried no nap, early and late bed and food and none . doesn't seem to matter. it is a curse

Sometimes I resort to the droning of George Noory's radio show. Some people regularly nod off watching or listening to TV. A couple ounces of 90 proof schnapps and counting sheep can also be helpful but sleeping too deeply could be hazardous to one's health.

Sometime the show can be too intriguing and I wind up listening to the whole thing. When it gets truly scary, I have to turn it off.

Oh boy! Ambien...:blush:

There's a few on here that COULD tell my secrets, but, I know they won't. :bash: I CAN tell you that the covers hovered on the bed and the vacuum cleaner tried to get me!!!! Letters were coming OUT of my monitor and sort of drifting a bit. I CAN tell you that I will NEVER EVER take a dare from Alix again............while taking Ambien, anyway! :LOL:

I used to take Ambien every night, then I took something else, as my doctor said I was having a little too much fun on Ambien. :blush: I have found that taking nothing, even if I don't get as much sleep as I would like, leaves me feeling MUCH more alive the next day. I don't care if I go to sleep at 4:00 am...the next day is so much easier to get through on natural sleep time.

I had trouble sleeping after Buck died and the doctor prescribed Ambien for me. It didn't do a thing. I may as well have taken a glass of water and tried to sleep. Took it for 30 days with no results. Do better with a Wal-Mart OTC version of some sleep gel.

:) I adore Melatonin sublingual tablets once it has built up in your system you can get by with much less, it's natural and abundant when young but body makes a lot less when you get get older so supplementing is helpful.:)

:) I adore Melatonin sublingual tablets once it has built up in your system you can get by with much less, it's natural and abundant when young but body makes a lot less when you get get older so supplementing is helpful.:)

Jackie, I tried melatonin for several months and never saw any appreciable difference, even though I increased the dosage over time.

Jackie, I tried melatonin for several months and never saw any appreciable difference, even though I increased the dosage over time.

ah ha I've found my twin..When we were held up and I had trouble sleeping the doctor gave me some sleeping pills telling me to be careful.Yup, I was so careful I was wake all night phooey I'm still the same, I don't do it on purpose but i fight the stuff and keep myself awake.. I don't care what it is i stay awake..Hello Katie;)
kades

I think the reason melatonin works for me (I use the regular tablets--they didn't have the sublingual there) is that I spend a lot more time on the computer and watching TV than most (I know, not good, but I'm done raising kids and it is just the two of us, and especially if I am alone, I like the "company"). As I mentioned earlier, I read that when you are on the computer or watching TV late at night (sometimes all night for me) it can trick your brain into thinking it is still daylight and your body doesn't produce as much melatonin. When I take melatonin (according to the article I read), it tricks my brain back into thinking it is nighttime, and I can sleep. I rarely take it, as I normally don't have any problems sleeping. The main times I can't sleep is if I start thinking about our financial problems or my ex-boss. I try very hard not to think about either!

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom