Ash Wednesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, why the #%^€ would you want to give up swearing, Alix?

Because I'm a terrible potty mouth when I drive and sometimes when I'm working with the teens. I have to clean up my act. I'm getting better every time, but I'm not there yet.

Alix said:
Because I'm a terrible potty mouth when I drive and sometimes when I'm working with the teens. I have to clean up my act. I'm getting better every time, but I'm not there yet.

I can relate. DH keeps trying to teach the world to drive with very blue words and gestures from inside the car. I, on the other hand, am a perfect example of an upstanding citizen. #%^*=!& right!

Last edited:
I'm ALWAYS trying to give up swearing. ALWAYS.

I'm also going to make a bigger effort to "turn the other cheek" and not react negatively when I'm provoked.

This was one of the best lessons I ever learned. When someone provokes me, I just walk away. It leaves them with their own "wrongness" and p*sses them off. You feel better, and they are left with their own negative feelings. Sometimes they even learn from it.

I'm ALWAYS trying to give up swearing. ALWAYS.

I'm also going to make a bigger effort to "turn the other cheek" and not react negatively when I'm provoked.

I think my signature says it for me. I have never been a real potty mouth. My daughter shames me even when we are alone. And so does Son #2. The youngest one occasionally when he is with friends and they swear. But he is making a very strong effort to get it under control. He can't do it at work. The patients would not appreciate it. And his 2 y.o. repeated a word he heard his friend say. So of course the RULE went into effect immediately. No more swearing in his home. Or at anytime in the presence of his son. He asked one friend to leave his home because he couldn't get his tongue under control.

When you get provoked, put out a big smile. The other person will wonder what you are up to. They will think you know something they don't. It's impossible to argue with someone who is perceived of being nice to them. They will walk away madder, and you will walk away calm. You win! :angel:

And I forgot Son #1. He worked for years with kids in the Little League. So he has never sworn. Never developed he habit. :angel:

Claire when you talk about stuff like this, you make me so nostalgic about growing up and life with my family.
We didn't eat meat on Friday's either. Friday fish fry's in Wisconsin, a Wisconsin tradition. Especially during lent.
Lent was a time when we had to give up something. Chocolate, candy, something we liked......it was a struggle to figure out what to give up.

I see some people giving up the internet now.
I see some people giving up TV.
I see some people giving up eating out.

It was a question of giving up something that we valued (or a dependance) that had no value in the big picture (the heavenly picture).

I was thinking of my mom. She has a computer virus or someone hacked her account. I am thinking of asking her to give up her viruses (joke).

I wonder what she gave up this year for lent?

Believe me, Friday fish fries are still a big tradition around here during lent. My sis came to visit for my birthday a number of years ago and she saw bunches of signs: Lenten specials: All-You-Can-Eat Fish Fry! All Fridays during Lent!!! She cracked up. "Isn't all you can eat sort of against the theory of Lent???"

Believe me, Friday fish fries are still a big tradition around here during lent. My sis came to visit for my birthday a number of years ago and she saw bunches of signs: Lenten specials: All-You-Can-Eat Fish Fry! All Fridays during Lent!!! She cracked up. "Isn't all you can eat sort of against the theory of Lent???"

That is very funny and SO TRUE. If you can't eat meat, you'll have fish, and darn it, you have to eat A LOT of it!!!

And I forgot Son #1. He worked for years with kids in the Little League. So he has never sworn. Never developed he habit. :angel:

Addie, I work with adolescents and I'm usually pretty good around them. There are a few moments when I swear for shock value with them, but otherwise I'm good. My downfall is driving though. *sigh* Still working on it.

Addie, I work with adolescents and I'm usually pretty good around them. There are a few moments when I swear for shock value with them, but otherwise I'm good. My downfall is driving though. *sigh* Still working on it.

My mum was known for not swearing. She wouldn't even say, "I hate his guts." She would say, "I dislike his guts." :LOL:

But, once in a blue moon, she would let out a few of those words. It was always intentional and everyone knew she was really angry, when she did.

My roommate when I was studying in Quebec City taught me how to swear in French. She was from France, and told me that her great-aunt told her that if she wanted to say merde, to say it as if one were dropping one's hanky. It is very effective. I swear selectively--when I do, I'm MAD, but, I follow my roommate's auntie's advice.

I know how you feel. I've been working on my "blue" language for a few years now and I've come a long ways in improving that but my job is such that dropping a WTF? bomb is not only cathartic but almost part of the job description! :LOL:

well, i blew it. i had bread last night. i forgot what i was sacrificing, so i had a piece of irish soda bread last night.

looks like it's going to be chocolate.

it'll make easter chocolate that much sweeter.

taxlady said:
My mum was known for not swearing. She wouldn't even say, "I hate his guts." She would say, "I dislike his guts." :LOL:

But, once in a blue moon, she would let out a few of those words. It was always intentional and everyone knew she was really angry, when she did.

That sounds like my grandmother. The first time I heard her swear I thought the world was going to end. I was even more shocked when my grandfather (who was 5'11") ran to his bedroom like death was on his heals and slammed the door shut (he was who she was swearing about). I was baffeled by his behavior because she's only 4'10". I knocked on his door and he peeked out. I asked why he was affraid of grandma since she was little and cute and he was big and tough. His response was "Yeah but she swore!" and then he closed the door again. He didn't come back out for a couple hours.

That sounds like my grandmother. The first time I heard her swear I thought the world was going to end. I was even more shocked when my grandfather (who was 5'11") ran to his bedroom like death was on his heals and slammed the door shut (he was who she was swearing about). I was baffeled by his behavior because she's only 4'10". I knocked on his door and he peeked out. I asked why he was affraid of grandma since she was little and cute and he was big and tough. His response was "Yeah but she swore!" and then he closed the door again. He didn't come back out for a couple hours.
I have shared this before, but this reminded me of it. There was never any swearing in our house (as an adult I heard my dad use a couple swear words when he got really angry about something, but I could count those times on one hand). The strongest thing my mom ever said was "darn." I will never forget when I was at the grocery store with her when I was 13 or 14. When she asked the butcher for pork butt, I almost passed out! I was in my 20s before I ever used the word butt (other than in terms like "butt of the joke," "rifle butt," etc.). Even now the strongest word you will generally hear out of my mouth (even if you drop something heavy on my foot) is "shoot." In just the last couple years (I'm 54) I have used the word "crap" but just a handful of times, and I still get the feeling that I am doing something wrong. :ohmy:
I can talk about and write about beaver dams, but I still refer to the other spelling of it as "the D word." I hate to read or hear swearing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom