Baked On the Outside, Wet in the Middle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obillo

Senior Cook
Many folks have taken up bread-baking during the pandemic, and many of the give me loaves in return for the jam I give them.
However, a lot of these loaves are unduly wet inside--wet enough to smear my knife with a broad, sticky strip of uncooked dough.
What's the problem: too short a rise? too short a bake? wrong temp in the oven?

I'd guess that if the bread is properly cooked on the outside and not in the middle, the oven temperature is too high.
That's what I would think.

Any problems baking anything else? I know my oven temp is off but the process to recalibrate is a PITA so I just adjust when I set the temperature.

I bake in a consistent sized nordic ware large aluminum loaf pans. If my dough is on the wet side, then I have to bake it longer. Another adjustment is to knead more flour into it before putting it into the pan.
I do both. I make sure the dough is dry enough before putting it in the loaf pan. I bake at 350 deg F. If I bake to 35 minutes it might be too wet inside, so I go to 40 minutes.

If I am using too much dough for the pan I get a larger loaf of bread but it doesn't slice as easily because the middle will not have enough structure to hold the slice together.
My regular 2 loaves recipe has WW flour, a little orange juice concentrate, a banana, yeast, and water. About 3.25 cups warm water, and about 6.75 cups of ww flour. If I push it to 3.5 cups of warm water my loaves are too big.

bottomboardsfood-008.jpg

It definitely sounds like it wasn't baked long enough, if wet. Bread doughs that are higher hydration, to begin with, are usually baked to a higher temperature - 200-205° - just check with an instant read thermometer. Usually 190° is high enough. Most recipes, especially old ones, just say to bake until "the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow, when thumped"! Not a very precise way of doing it.

Last edited:
I take all my breads temperature. Must reach at least 200 for me. Buns, bread both the same.

Someone actually noticed a little hole in one of my loaves. Thinks she thought it might have bugs! LOL

I always try to take the temp at an angle, from the upper side, so it's usually in an irregular area, not a smooth one. Doesn't always work, though, and definitely not on buns!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom