Baking Sheet Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcraw

Assistant Cook
I am looking to replace the bakeware we have and tired of "no-rust" gimmicky bakeware. I am tired of them claiming this when it only applied to the part the food sits on. We all have seen what happens if water gets under the pan into the lip. Rusty water just forms and loves to collect in the lip. My wife wants a baking sheet she can use and throw into the dishwasher or at the very least wash by hand without fear of water getting into the under-lip area.

- Rated up to 450F
- No curl in lip to where water gets trapped and rusts the metal (this can happen even with "ceramic" baking sheets that are reinforced with metal under-side.
- Has an edge such that it can keep liquids in
- Not Glass
- Typical half-sheet size of 12W x 17.5L (Not a hard-set thing, just a reference size she is used to)

- Cost? Don't really care if it means it solves her problem and has a decent warranty against BS.

Just a Husband trying to buy something nice for his wife.

Stainless steel steam table insert pans. Restaurants often use them as baking pans. Available in various depths, I think 2 1/2" is the most shallow.

Attachments

• Steam Table size chart.png
    Steam Table size chart.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 4
I have multiple heavy duty aluminum "cookie" sheets - no rolled edges.
Vollrath makes some nice ones - but they have a bent-up lip at each end - I wanted one flat end as a faux "peel" - took it to the shop, made one lip all gone . . .

I use half-sheet pans for cookies and bagels. They are aluminum with a rolled edge. The rolled edge encloses a steel rod to provide rigidity to the pan. Rust has never been an issue. For cupcakes and cakes buy all aluminum pans.

I have never considered putting them in the DW and never had an issue with rusty water from the rim. With normal use, hand-cleaning should be relatively easy.

I also use aluminum half sheets, as well as quarter sheets occasionally, and full sheets even less occasionally (Christmas cookie season), and the sheets I got back in the mid 80s are still good! I get boxes of 100 sheets of parchment paper, full and half size (I cut the half sheets in half for the quarter, I use them so seldom), and the sheets being flat makes them easier to put in the sheets, compared to rolling it out from that rolled up stuff. And I never wash them in the DW either, like Andy - the only thing I put them in the DW for is when I stand them on end, to drain them, especially those full sheets!
A half sheet and a quarter sheet, about 17 x 12, and 12 x 8 1/2, and both aluminum, with rolled lips. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here's something I have, that @dcSaute mentioned - some cookie sheets that have only one lip, and I use the two sizes as "peels", for scooping large numbers of cookies off the full sheets - not something you want to do in small numbers! These I cut to different sizes, to empty a half, or about 2/3 of a sheet at a time.
Two aluminum cookie sheets, with only one lip, which I use for "scoops", to get cookies off the large sheets. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I've been using the aluminum 1/2 sheets for more than 20 years, like above, with parchment. A friend wanted 2 aluminum Nordic ware 1/2 sheet pans $22 on amazon, which I bought him for christmas.
I use them for baking cauliflower wings or onion slabs, baking buns, pizza, breakfast hash, drying bread crumbs, oat-fruit cookies.....and if I turn them over, I can roll out cracker dough on parchment on the back of the pan, for crackers.

The only advice I have is don't get non-stick. The non-stick sheet pans I have are horrid. They do stick, but I don't dare scrub them with anything abrasive. I always use parchment or foil with them. No, I didn't buy them. DH had them and I'm having a heck of a time sourcing any around here that don't have a non-stick coating.

I've never had a cookie sheet rust - well, other than once when I used one for under a plant. The worst I get is a black crust that one usually gets around the rolled edge of your stove top cooking pans. But that doesn't bother me and doesn't have any effect on what ever it is I'm cooking/baking/roasting.

Once parchment paper became popular and easy to get - I now use that for easy clean ups. Even sheet pan roasting.

I suggest you try going to a restaurant supply store and see what they have. Don't buy there but then check out Amazon, etc.

Nordic Ware natural aluminum half and quarter sheet pans are the only thing I will ever buy again. And make sure you get pre-cut parchment/baking sheets that fit the pans you buy.

The only advice I have is don't get non-stick. The non-stick sheet pans I have are horrid. They do stick, but I don't dare scrub them with anything abrasive. I always use parchment or foil with them. No, I didn't buy them. DH had them and I'm having a heck of a time sourcing any around here that don't have a non-stick coating.

Do you have a restaurant supply store around you. The one I go to has every size of sheet pans that are not non-stick.

CD

I also want a recommendation for a half sheet pan. I use mine for mostly sheet pan dinners now and because of that I use foil on them so I don't get them all sticky. And the foil is ruining the non-stick. I'm just wondering if I should replace it with another non-stick or if they would all get ruined by the foil or if I should just get one that isn't non-stick. I do have some of the cookie type sheet pans that just have the one lip so it's not the only thing I've got to use but it's the only one that has sides on it for sheet pan cooking or juicy cooking. For some reason the other ones haven't gotten ruined by the foil and I don't know why. They're all pretty old and I wonder if some non-stick doesn't get ruined by foil.

Anything is possible Texmex. A lot of non-stick was not originally meant for the higher heat that you might be using for sheet pan meals. They were originally for baking only and usually at 350 or so. It is also possible that they are having a reaction with the foil.

If you decide to get new ones with the intention of using it for sheet pan meals and if you still want to use foil for easier clean-up, then why don't you get pans that do not have non-stick coating.

I line my sheet pans with foil often, and they are non-stick. I haven't had any issues. Perhaps dragnlaw is on to something with the high heat. I don't generally use mine in a really hot oven.

CD

Texmex, the restaurant supply stores are a very good place to get commercial-grade sheet pans for pennies on the pound. I bought two for $15. They did not have non-stick on them and I use foil when the heat will be very high.

After reading recommendations for half sheet pans and almost deciding to get a metal instead of non-stick one, I went with my gut and bought an Analon non-stick because 1) I had my non-stick sheet pan for decades before it finally wore out from putting foil on it and 2) this particular pan has a grip added to it on the long side so it will be easier to take out of the oven. Especially for me because I have fully torn rotator cuff. While I was at it I ordered new pot holders so I can just throw away the two old ones. I hesitate to mention that I have a drawer full of crocheted potholders, but I prefer to use those as trivets so I don't accidentally burn myself through one of the holes. I like the potholders with a pocket. But it is true some of them can be too thin or the stuffing can move around so you have to know when to let It go.

After reading recommendations for half sheet pans and almost deciding to get a metal instead of non-stick one, I went with my gut and bought an Analon non-stick because 1) I had my non-stick sheet pan for decades before it finally wore out from putting foil on it and 2) this particular pan has a grip added to it on the long side so it will be easier to take out of the oven. Especially for me because I have fully torn rotator cuff. While I was at it I ordered new pot holders so I can just throw away the two old ones. I hesitate to mention that I have a drawer full of crocheted potholders, but I prefer to use those as trivets so I don't accidentally burn myself through one of the holes. I like the potholders with a pocket. But it is true some of them can be too thin or the stuffing can move around so you have to know when to let It go.

I switched over to oven gloves from oven mitts. I've never liked potholders. I love the gloves. Being able to use my fingers is Wonderfull. In the photo below, the red dots are silicone. They grip well. I have another pair in the garage for my outdoor cooking.

1711701937307.jpeg

CD

I have a pair of solid silicone gloves which I cannot recommend. They are slippery and stiff, very difficult to put on unless you keep them well dusted with corn starch. I use them more as oven pads, but not much. I have an old burnt edged pads I use the most.

My DIL has those gloves casey and I really like them. Fast to put on, not stiff and not slippery. Big endorsement from me on those too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom