Banana "Bread"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
Hi, kids! I am not sure how to search for this, but this is what I need:

A tested & developed-from-the-ground-up (no guesswork or substitutions) recipe for Banana Bread sweetened with Maple Syrup.

We have maple syrup from our trees and I want to do something with it! And there's a bunch of bananas in the bowl that are begging for attention...

Thanks, friends! :chef::);)

Thanks, GLC. It did not occur to me to go to google. I will have a look at that recipe and the reviews. Maple Syrup takes a lot of work to make, I don't want to ruin my banana "bread". Mind you, we have chickens who'll polish off anything that doesn't work out, but it isn't like throwing plain old sugar away. Maple Syrup is the Cadillac of sweeteners. Cultural intersection indeed! Only in America! :LOL:

Actually, I was a little surprised to see so many recipes. It doesn't occur to be as a natural flavor combination. At least not so much as molasses and bananas or cane syrup and bananas.

Why the "" around the word bread?

Is it not actual bread and rather something else?

By my thinking, FWIW, "bread" is a savory loaf. All banana bread recipes I've ever seen are sweet enough to be rightly called desserts. This is all just my opinion, of course.

No one ever said breads had to be savory. Banana, cranberry, date, pumpkin, etc. are all quick breads - breads leavened chemically rather than by yeast.

Whether you agree or not, you should consider adopting the terminology to avoid confusion.

Well, a few hours ago, I made that banana loaf, GLC, that you pointed me to. It is the best I have ever made or eaten. The family says so, too. It does not taste of maple syrup; rather, it has a real, more intense than normal, banana taste. It is just excellent. Tk. you.

I had to cook it longer than 50 minutes, though. More like 65. For the last 20 minutes I put a piece of alum. foil on the loaf so the sugar wouldn't burn.

CWS4322 - thanks for info on maple vinegar. I had not heard of such a thing!

I tried making birch syrup, too, and it is rather awful. Glad that the ratio of sap to final product is about 1 to 90. I ended up with about 4 ounces of the stuff.

Last edited:
Well, a few hours ago, I made that banana loaf, GLC, that you pointed me to. It is the best I have ever made or eaten. The family says so, too. It does not taste of maple syrup; rather, it has a real, more intense than normal, banana taste. It is just excellent. Tk. you.

I had to cook it longer than 50 minutes, though. More like 65. For the last 20 minutes I put a piece of alum. foil on the loaf so the sugar wouldn't burn.

CWS4322 - thanks for info on maple vinegar. I had not heard of such a thing!

I tried making birch syrup, too, and it is rather awful. Glad that the ratio of sap to final product is about 1 to 90. I ended up with about 4 ounces of the stuff.
Chopped Canada recently featured birch syrup. I haven't made that, although I have birch trees. When the sap is running, I'm busy enough with maple sap...don't have time to play with other tree saps.

Well, I hope her birch syrup turned out better than mine. I must've done something wrong.
I suspect it wasn't very interesting (or perhaps interesting the wrong way), or she would have made more than the small amount needed for pagan purposes.

I copies the recipe to my recipe file for future reference. DH loves banana bread. I thought it was interesting that the recipe received very good reviews except for one person who only gave it 1 star and said it was dry and tasteless. How could hers have turned out so different from everyone else's? I don't want to do whatever she did.

Back
Top Bottom