Baste steak with butter...then discard butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
I've had a few friends who work in restaurants who say that after they baste a steak in butter they throw the butter out as it's unusable, and this is the only way to properly baste a steak. They say it's not much as it's only 1/4 to a half a stick of butter they baste each steak with (along with garlic, herbs, etc)., but I was wondering if there is any alternative to this as I hate food waste. I love the idea of butter with my steak, but most of the time I just make a sauce and finish it with butter to top my steak. Is it true that you toss the butter after you've basted a steak as the butter has "browned too much by this point"?

If that is the reason they are tossing it "browned too much by this point" then I would say yes - it probably would develop a burnt taste. Unless of course they are using ghee, in which case I don't know why. Only other reason I can think of is that it has been in touch with meat and in a restaurant setting probably should be repurposed for sanitary reasons.

But for home cooks, if the butter can still be incorporated into the rest of the meal - then do it!

Top the steak with a piece of compound butter while the steak is resting.

1696892465246.jpeg

I've had a few friends who work in restaurants who say that after they baste a steak in butter they throw the butter out as it's unusable, and this is the only way to properly baste a steak. They say it's not much as it's only 1/4 to a half a stick of butter they baste each steak with (along with garlic, herbs, etc)., but I was wondering if there is any alternative to this as I hate food waste. I love the idea of butter with my steak, but most of the time I just make a sauce and finish it with butter to top my steak. Is it true that you toss the butter after you've basted a steak as the butter has "browned too much by this point"?
We were just discussing different ways to cook steak here, in a thread about searing beef, I believe. I think the resto chefs are cooking steak at a much higher temperature than is reasonable for a home cook. I don't think that cooking the steak at a reasonable temperature would cause excess browning of the basting butter. If it isn't excessively browned, I see no reason to get rid of it.

When I make Loco Moco I fry the hamburger in butter, then I make a pan gravy out of the drippings, part of which is the butter of course. you could do the same with a steak, and if you don't want gravy with it, then put it in a storage container and save it in the refrigerator for another meal.

Whisk 1½ cups beef stock, 4 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 drops sesame oil, 2 tsp ketchup, 2 tsp white sugar, and 4 tsp cornstarch together in a bowl. Pour mixture into the skillet with the butter and stir, scraping up browned bits from the bottom, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reserve gravy until needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom