Batter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robinz

Assistant Cook
I love this place. So much information. :)

I have a question about using a batter to deepfry chicken, fish, veggies ect. Is it a good idea to always dredge the thing being battered in flour first in order to get the batter to stick to it better once it hits the oil? I see this in some recipes and some not and wondered if it made this job easier as a rule.

Robin

I think that dredging it through the flour, when using a liquid, such as milk and egg, makes it stick better to the chiken, or whatever and also gives it a little extra crunch. That's my opinion, but, you will have lots of answers in no time.

Welcome to DC!!
img_235007_0_33279951b00315ff4946e1b575ba6367.gif

I agree with texasgirl. I think dredge it in the flour, then the egg, and then the flour again, it makes it crunchy. I gave up on making my own batter, so I buy a package of it for either fish or chicken.

Welcome to DC!

Thank you for the warm welcome. People are so nice here. I've been reading through so many posts for several days and I can't believe all the information.

Well.......Goodweed posted a recipe for tempura that I really want to try with some white fish and onion rings...also a few mushroom.... :)

Robin

If you do not dredge in flour before battering, the slighest mositure on the surface of what you are attempting to batter will cause the batter not to stick when you attempt to fry it. This goes for meat, poultry, seafood, and vegetables.

Just got done with dinner and I dredge everything in flour first and it worked like a charm. Very good dinner. I did chicken strips, mushrooms and onion rings in tempura batter. Family loved it.

Wish my deep fryer reheated faster though so the food didn't have to sit in the oven quite so long. The first batches were still good but not as good as when they very first came out of the fryer.

I bet this would be good for Chili Rellanos.....yummmm

robinz said:
Thank you for the warm welcome. People are so nice here. I've been reading through so many posts for several days and I can't believe all the information.

Well.......Goodweed posted a recipe for tempura that I really want to try with some white fish and onion rings...also a few mushroom.... :)

Robin

Robin - when I do tempura I go crazy - I do the usual (onions, mushrooms) and I will also do cauliflower, broccoli, carrot slices (on an angle), whole scallions, and shrimp. I figure I might as well fry everything since I'm frying! :mrgreen: I also like to make a sweet mirin, soy sauce, and a bit of dark sesame oil to dip everything in.

robinz said:
Wish my deep fryer reheated faster though so the food didn't have to sit in the oven quite so long. The first batches were still good but not as good as when they very first came out of the fryer.
This is an interesting point you bring up robinz. Instead of holding your fried tempura in a warm oven until the last batch is done, try removing it out of the fryer just before it's golden in color and hold it in a 350* to 400*F pre heated oven. You may have to experiment once or twice. It works for me.

What Tempura recipe did you use?
Mine is:

3/4 C Self rising flour
1/4 C Corn starch
Light beer

Glad you're having a good time here.:chef:

Crash said:
This is an interesting point you bring up robinz. Instead of holding your fried tempura in a warm oven until the last batch is done, try removing it out of the fryer just before it's golden in color and hold it in a 350* to 400*F pre heated oven. You may have to experiment once or twice. It works for me.

What Tempura recipe did you use?
Mine is:

3/4 C Self rising flour
1/4 C Corn starch
Light beer

Glad you're having a good time here.:chef:

I'll try that next time. The recipe I used, I found posted by Goodweed.

[FONT=&quot]Dry Ingrediants:
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. sugar
3 tsp. double-acting baking powder
1 large egg
3/4 cup water

[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom