Beating egg whites to form peaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoracayB

Senior Cook
First attempt at making a pineapple upside down cake.
The recipe said to separate the eggs and beat the whites
until stiff.
I don't have a mixer so I used a whisk. Well after 20 minutes
the best I could get was a light foam. It worked OK.

Is it possible to get egg whites stiff using only a whisk?

Thanks

I'm lazy so I would use a different recipe! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Try this one, it is excellent.

https://books.google.com/books?id=oioeRpagr_kC&pg=PA586&lpg=PA586&dq=marion+cunningham+pineapple+upside+down+cake&source=bl&ots=nS25qJM2VW&sig=LbCrhBPCxQSzHmqPL0DrhdHmlok&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UYJzVZ7oO8aiyASugYLQDg&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=marion%20cunningham%20pineapple%20upside%20down%20cake&f=false

and yes you can beat egg whites with a whisk. You should make absolutely sure that your whisk and bowl are sparkling clean and free of any grease, use room temperature egg whites from older eggs and be careful not to get any of the yolk into the egg whites. Then whip away until you feel like your arm is going to fall off, pass the bowl to anyone that walks into the kitchen and let them whisk for a while. It's really not a big chore once you get the hang of it, good luck!

Last edited:
What Aunt Bea said. Also, dry your equipment with paper towels or a tea towel that has been rinsed extra times. The leftover detergent from tea towels can apparently have an adverse effect.

That's a good recipe, AB. It sounds similar to the one I used, but it's been years ago. I don't remember the recipe calling for beating the egg whites separately till stiff.

Pineapple upside down cake is way high on my list of fave desserts. :ohmy::yum:

Last edited:
I have beaten egg whites (stiff or to soft peaks, depending on the recipe) with one of these:

25970_285.jpg

Now I use a whisk attachment on my immersion blender.

Whipping the egg whites make the cake very light and moist.
I may have gotten a little egg yolk in with the whites.

Thanks for all the tips.

This is the recipe I used and for being my first time it came out
of the pan---which was my biggest fear.

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
Pineapple slices
3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar

3 eggs

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).

• Melt the butter. Brush a little bit of the butter on the inside of a 9-inch cake pan.
  • Mix 5 tablespoons of the butter with the dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice. Place this mixture in the bottom of the cake pan. Arrange the pineapple rings on the brown sugar mixture in a decorative pattern (be creative). Set pan aside.
  • Stir together the flour, salt, white sugar, and baking powder.
  • Separate the eggs. Beat the whites until stiff but not dry.
  • Beat two of the egg yolks until lemony yellow. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup pineapple juice, vanilla, and remaining melted butter. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites. Pour batter over the top of the brown sugar and pineapple rings.
  • Bake in the preheated oven until cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger, about 30 minutes. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes then cover pan tightly with a serving dish and invert so that the pineapple side is up.

Tax Lady I would love one of those .
Never found one here and my last trip to the US
Walmart, Bed Bath and Beyond and a few other places didn't
carry that beater. Should have looked in a antique store.

Thanks Addie...some good tips there. thanks
I was thinking, while whisking away that maybe
cream of tarter or a little sugar might help since
they are used for meringue.

I just remembered another tip. Use a glass, stainless steel, or porcelain bowl. Plastic retains grease.

I wonder if using a straight back and forth motion instead of a circular motion would work better. It does when whipping cream.

I have heard that cream of tartar or a tiny bit of lemon juice helps. I can tell you from first hand experience, that if you don't add the sugar just right, the egg foam can get sort of gummy/stretchy and lose volume.

Whipping the egg whites make the cake very light and moist.

Thanks for all the tips.

This is the recipe I used and for being my first time it came out
of the pan---which was my biggest fear.

That may be why it is traditional to serve it with a big dollop of whipped cream! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The worse the poor cake looks the more whipped cream you put on each piece! :yum:

And that would be a good reason why they would never form peaks. I've whipped egg whites to firm peaks by hand. Felt my arm would fall off during and after but I've done it. Wouldn't feel like getting mixer out and/or cleaning it up, thought it wouldn't be so bad and then ended up wishing I had anyway but was too stubborn by that time. You don't really need cream of tartar or sugar. I always start out with room temp eggs though as they will whip faster. If you forget to take them out beforehand, just plop them in a bowl of very warm water for a few minutes, then dry before cracking.

Is it possible to get egg whites stiff using only a whisk?

Thanks

It is possible, when we did not have electric mixer my mom and I would do it. We would switch after few minutes of vigorous beating, because you just get too tired too fast. But it always worked.

I find the easiest way to separate the yolk from the whites is in my hand. Just let the egg into you hand and let the whites fall through you fingers. Much easier than passing back and forth between the shell halves. Or purchase an egg separator. Very inexpensive.

Should you find any yolk in your whites, put it aside and start again with another egg. Use it for another recipe or scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Also use a separate clean bowl each time you are separating the egg. You can use a small custard bowl, even a coffee cup. But should the yolk break during this step, wash out the small bowl, cup, dry well and then do another egg. Next place the white in the bowl you are going to whisk it in. Place the yolk in another bowl. Every piece of equipment MUST be absolutely clean to whisk by hand. I know, more dishes or bowls for cleanup. But success with the egg whites beating up to stiff peaks.

Remember, the yolks have fat in them. Think cholesterol. Fat is a death knell for successful stiff egg whites.

Good luck! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom