Best way to use thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goliath

Assistant Cook
Hi guys,

I bought a Thermapen MK4 last week but my results so far have been a little underwelming.

I tried cooking some chicken breasts - so I inserted the probe from the top into (what I thought at least) was the middle of the breast which turned out to be slightly too close to the other side of the meat, so it ended up being underdone.

Maybe I just need practice, but I want to know how you guys do this. Do you insert the probe into the side of the breast that is thickest or just at the top and hope you're half-way through?

Just need some tips here. Thanks again.

Thanks but I'm referring to chicken breasts, not whole chickens. Chicken breasts that I've pounded to be at equal thickness.

Good video for a roast chicken, although personally I check both the breast and the drumstick.

However Goliath, you were asking about chicken breasts alone.

I try to insert the probe into the side of the thickest part as much as I can. I usually grab the meat with a pair of tongs so that I don't push the meat all over the pan.

Seems to work for me.

If you've pounded them equal, you are getting a rather thin piece (especially if matching the pointy "tail". I doubt I would even be able to insert a probe.

But tht being said, I would probably pick up, with tongs, the whole piece of meat to insert the probe from the side.

But I actually don't do that as generally I can tell by the feel of the meat. Depending on the temperature, and the thickness, it shouldn't take all that long to begin with.

If they are really thin, as in schnitzl style, a couple of minutes is all it would take, per side.

If you've pounded them equal, you are getting a rather thin piece (especially if matching the pointy "tail". I doubt I would even be able to insert a probe.

But tht being said, I would probably pick up, with tongs, the whole piece of meat to insert the probe from the side.

But I actually don't do that as generally I can tell by the feel of the meat. Depending on the temperature, and the thickness, it shouldn't take all that long to begin with.

If they are really thin, as in schnitzl style, a couple of minutes is all it would take, per side.

Hi, thanks for your advice! They are definitely not super duper thinly pounded out, just trying to keep thickness the same so that it cooks evenly.

I also used to determine doneness by feel and I was starting to get very good at it, but since I've now bought the thermapen, and it's not cheap, I figure I should put it to work. :D

I'll try inserting the probe on the side using tongs - must the probe go all the way into the middle of the breast, or do I just put the probe in the middle, an inch or two in and that's that?

Before starting to cook, gauge the centre of the meat by laying the 'pen against it. Just try to remember how far along the gauge to the middle.

Don't forget that chicken breast have a tendency to shrink up and thicken just where you want to measure... :ermm: :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sitting here at the 'puter, looking at my thumb, I'm guessing about an inch?

You've chosen one of the more difficult foods to measure.

I test cutlets from the edge and try to ensure the tip stays centered as much as possible. I also test 2-3 places on the cutlet to be sure.

I have the Thermapen. I also felt it was underwhelming at first. But now that I have used it for awhile its better than expected. Better than any other instant read thermometer I have ever owned.
Using it properly and trusting the results is paramount. I have also found other uses besides in the kitchen. Like for my aquariums. I am now using it to verify water temp and it will be very helpful for adjustments to temp readouts. Temp scaling.

Trying to measure temp in a thin piece of chicken breast seems crazy. Why would you need to measure the temp here? I mean it cooks in minutes and as soon as its brown up its done.

With instant read thermometers, you don't want to just poke and read. You insert the thermometer into a thick part of the meat and slowly pull it out. While you are pulling it out, watch the numbers for the lowest number. It takes just a bit of practice to figure out the right speed. The right speed to pull it out depends on how quickly the thermometer reports the change in temperature. Thermapens are some of the "most instant" on the market.

I only found out to do it that way recently and am still learning the correct speed. I was using my Thermapen for years using the poke and read method, but using multiple pokes.

As dragn wrote, you probably want to hold onto the meat with tongs.

With instant read thermometers, you don't want to just poke and read. You insert the thermometer into a thick part of the meat and slowly pull it out. While you are pulling it out, watch the numbers for the lowest number. It takes just a bit of practice to figure out the right speed. The right speed to pull it out depends on how quickly the thermometer reports the change in temperature. Thermapens are some of the "most instant" on the market.

I only found out to do it that way recently and am still learning the correct speed. I was using my Thermapen for years using the poke and read method, but using multiple pokes.

As dragn wrote, you probably want to hold onto the meat with tongs.

This is good advice. Keep in mind that instant means 1 or 2 seconds not NOW. Watch the display and move it slowly and you will get a feel for the speed of reading.

I have also pushed it in and then gone too far to see those readings before pulling back slowly.

I just stick it in the middle and make sure it is at or just past the temp I want.

Lifting a thin piece of meat out of the oven will cool it amazingly fast, depending on ambient temperature.

Try temping beef or pork jerky. It drops immediately. I just get it close enough and check dryness.

Most jerky recipes say 165. I haven't got it steady at 165 yet. As soon as I pull a piece to check, it's down to 159 or even 150. As long as it's 145, I call most meat good enough.

LOL... can you actually measure the temperature of a piece of jerky?

I always thought you went by the dryness, bendiness of of the slices!

LOL... can you actually measure the temperature of a piece of jerky?

I always thought you went by the dryness, bendiness of of the slices!
I do as well. You can measure it, but like I said, it drops immediately.

I mainly check for safety, then run it until it is the texture I want.

I use my probe thermometers on thick cuts of meat and roasts only.
Otherwise, my readings will be all over the place. No bueno…

I do as well. You can measure it, but like I said, it drops immediately.

I mainly check for safety, then run it until it is the texture I want.

Thin dried out pieces of meat... does anyone use a thermo for bacon?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom