Brand New Deep Fryer....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha! When I threaten Dinky with my utmost threat, I get out the Chinese Cookbooks. Many of them refer to: "Or use any white meat you prefer". Dinky is on to me! He sees those books come out and he runs for the hills! I think my eyebrows give me away!
:evil::chef: :devilish:Evil Cook looks at Kitty!

(I gotta get out more):wacko:

You've heard the parody of "The Cat's in the Cradle"? "The Cat's in the Kettle at the Peking Moon" and "Garfield's on my fork".

Last night we had homemade conch fritters and tater tots done in our "new" deep fryer, along with some chili lime shrimp. Great stuff! The night before I did wings in the fryer, along with potato skins which were first deep fried then stuffed and finished under the broiler.

Craig

Last edited:
CraigC said:
You've heard the parody of "The Cat's in the Cradle"? "The Cat's in the Kettle at the Peking Moon" and "Garfield's on my fork".

Last night we had homemade conch fritters and tater tots done in our "new" deep fryer, along with some chili lime shrimp. Great stuff! The night before I did wings in the fryer, along with potato skins which were first deep fried then stuffed and finished under the broiler.

Craig

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now you guys just cut it out. No more new toys needed here! Your stuff sounds really good, Craig!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now you guys just cut it out. No more new toys needed here! Your stuff sounds really good, Craig!

Thanks! I just threw the chili lime shrimp together on a whim. I peeled and deveined a dozen or so large (wild harvested) shrimp. Finely diced about half of a fresh jalapeno (seeds removed). Minced a couple of good sized cloves of garlic. Heated a saute pan to medium high and added about 1-1/2 TBSP canola oil and 1 TBSP butter. Added the jalapeno and garlic and sauted until soft. Added some red pepper flakes, a liberal dose of silver tequila and a good squirt of honey. Add the juice of 1/2 a large lime. Add the shrimp until just cooked through. Removed the shrimp, salt the mixture to taste, reduce to a glaze and pour over the shrimp. Yum!;)

Craig

CraigC said:
Thanks! I just threw the chili lime shrimp together on a whim. I peeled and deveined a dozen or so large (wild harvested) shrimp. Finely diced about half of a fresh jalapeno (seeds removed). Minced a couple of good sized cloves of garlic. Heated a saute pan to medium high and added about 1-1/2 TBSP canola oil and 1 TBSP butter. Added the jalapeno and garlic and sauted until soft. Added some red pepper flakes, a liberal dose of silver tequila and a good squirt of honey. Add the juice of 1/2 a large lime. Add the shrimp until just cooked through. Removed the shrimp, salt the mixture to taste, reduce to a glaze and pour over the shrimp. Yum!;)

Craig

That sounds outrageous, Craig! Could you please post it in the seafood recipe thread? Yum!

Last edited:
I went ahead and unpaced it, set it up, and read the manual. I'm ready now. Just need some oil, and something to cook in it other than fritters.

I thought I mention that I bought an automotive funnel with screen for straining oil once, to use it just one more time before discarding the oil. Peanut oil isn't cheap. I'm pretty sure the plastic used to make the funnel is ok if the oil is cool when straining.

The other methods using cheesecloth or coffee filters were messy and very time consuming.

Amazon.com: Wirthco 32002 2-Qt Red Funnel W/Screen: Automotive

Last edited:
I thought I mention that I bought an automotive funnel with screen for straining oil once, to use it just one more time before discarding the oil. Peanut oil isn't cheap.

The other methods using cheesecloth or coffee filters were messy and very time consuming.

Amazon.com: Wirthco 32002 2-Qt Red Funnel W/Screen: Automotive

Thanks for the suggestion, Caslon. I may pick up one of those also.

Great idea!

I plan on using Canola oil for my frying.

Let us know how that works out for you. I have found that frying in canola sometimes yields a fishy smell I find objectionable when I'm not frying fish.
Sure will Andy. This thing also works as a steamer/boiler. I see Artichokes being cooked in it as well.

Tonight, it's battered shrimp and hush puppies with vinagared greens on the side.

Oil can be used multiple times. Cooking meat causes the oil to degrade faster. If you fry fish, you may not want to use it a second time.

I'm a multiple times person, too. I use peanut oil because it's supposed to hold up better. You'll know when it starts to get funky.

Ok so I'm thinking oil for doughnuts or French Frys should be saved for just doughnuts or French Fry's, right? By the same token I suppose you should save fish oil for only fish, and meat for only meat?

I can't imagine fishy tasting doughnuts.:sick:

Ok so I'm thinking oil for doughnuts or French Frys should be saved for just doughnuts or French Fry's, right? By the same token I suppose you should save fish oil for only fish, and meat for only meat?

I can't imagine fishy tasting doughnuts.:sick:

It becomes impractical to have a shelf full of gallon bottles filled with oil and labeled 'fish', 'donughts', etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom