Buttermilk Marinade OK for Beer Batter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Is it okay to marinate my chicken tenders all day in buttermilk before i fry them up.

the batter is this: dredge in flour to soak moisture up, then dip them in a mixture of Egg, Rice Flour, and Beer. fry immediately in a wok.

will marinating them all day in buttermilk mess up the beer batter.

how about i dry them with a towel before i batter them.

thanks

Hmm, not sure.
I make my beer batter by mixing beer and flour to a pancake mix consistancy.
That way, I don't think it would change the taste.
Someone else that is used to using buttermilk will give you a better answer.

i make my batter same way. i beat an egg or 2 in a bowl, then i pour in a bottle of beer or so, then i throw in a good amount of rice flour and briefly mix it.

Well, then, I don't think it will changed the taste of the batter. Honestly, I think the flavor of the beer is strong enough to stay. But, please, let someone else give you an answer. I just don't use buttermilk in cooking. I may have to use it for once. I've read a lot of recipes and ways of cooking using it.

the reason im using it is not for flavor, rather to tenderize the meat..buttermilk is one of very few things that has been proven to tenderize chicken..im having company tomm night so i want these to be a huge success

It won't be a problem. I've done beer batter over buttermilk soaked chicken and it is fine. The only trick I use is that after I dredge it in flour and let it sit for about 10 - 15 minutes before battering.

Edit: Drop a few chile flakes in the buttermilk. Gives a very gentle heat and is award winning.

Back
Top Bottom