Cake or Bread? Bill Coconut "Quick Bread"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvillyChic

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I have a question. Have anyone try Bill's famous coconut quick bread recipe somewhere?

Here is my version of Bill’s Famous Coconut “Quick Bread” (It is confusing, isn't it?)

Ingredients (for 1 loaf of 23x7cm)

Dry mixture

• 200g all-purpose flour
  • 75g grounded flaxseed (if you don’t have this in hands, just omit it and replace by the same amount of flour, so in total of 275g flour)
  • 150g dried coconut flakes
  • 1 cup = 201g white granulated white sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon powder
Wet Mixture

• 2 eggs
  • 300ml milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 75g melted butter
—————————————–​
Instruction
Step 1: preheat your oven to 180 degree Celsius. Line a 23x7x7cm baking tray with parchment paper.
Step 2: Now weight all the dry ingredients listed above into a big mixing bowl. Mix well.
Step 3: Now weight all the wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix well, too.
icon_smile.gif

http://simplyafoodblog.wordpress.co...of-bills-famous-coconut-quick-bread/img_7362/

Step 4: Now slowly pour the wet mix into the dry mix bowl while constantly whisking using a hand whisk.
http://simplyafoodblog.wordpress.co...of-bills-famous-coconut-quick-bread/img_7364/

Continue whisking just until all ingredients combined and lump-free. Stop your whisking right away when you reach this stage. No more or your loaf will be dense.
icon_sad.gif

Step 5: Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Even it out by gently “slamming” the pan against the kitchen counter a couple of times. After that, you will have this.

Step 6: Put the loaf on the lowest rack, in my case because my upper heat is stronger than my lower heat and this quick bread does take long to bake.
http://simplyafoodblog.wordpress.co...of-bills-famous-coconut-quick-bread/img_7368/

Step 7: Bake the loaf for approximately 50 minutes or more until the skew sticks inside the loaf coming out clear.

After 30 minutes, your kitchen will start to smell heavenly amazing. The combination of coconut, cinnamon and vanilla is irresistible.

If your loaf browned on the top too much while the inside is still not done, simply take the loaf out, cover the top with aluminum foil, and continue your baking until the skew test is achieved.
icon_smile.gif

Step 8: When your loaf is done, let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes.

20 minutes are up. Now flip your loaf out of the pan. Here it is, the cause of my pain!

Now slice this bad boy into whatever size you want, make yourself a cup of jasmine tea, and enjoy!

The recipe tastes great and very simple to make. But the name is a bit confusing. Is it a bread or is it a cake? :( Could some one define it for me please?)

Rose,

Quick breads are basically muffins in loaf form. Cake batter in loaf form. They are just quicker to make than yeast breads. Mmmmm, this one looks great!

I wonder what else you could sub for the flax seed? Oatmeal? Sesame seeds? Sunflower seeds?

Not sure if it is available where you are but Hodges Mill makes a milled flax seed.

Hey Dave, I'm able to get flax seed, I just don't have any right now so I'm spitballing. This looked interesting and quick (haha) so I thought I might whip it up while I wait for Ken to get home for dinner.

I wonder if cornmeal would add an interesting texture here?

Ah.. gotcha...hmmm..the texture of the corn meal might be an interesting contrast the the coconut....

Quick breads are basically muffins in loaf form. Cake batter in loaf form. They are just quicker to make than yeast breads. Mmmmm, this one looks great!

I wonder what else you could sub for the flax seed? Oatmeal? Sesame seeds? Sunflower seeds?

Sunflower seeds...:)

I think you can substitute flax seed by any seeds or nuts you want. :) The choices are endless. I sometimes just use rye flour, or wholewheat flour. Work great, too!

Rose,

Back
Top Bottom