Can you drink heated/boiled vegetable glycerin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@taxlady yeah, that's easier i guess. Might give it a try.

@dragnlaw i know it because i read it in an article from a legit source, and i didn't asked anyone to give advice based on rumours.
And cinnamon heating in water idea, i clarified earlier, but again in short : other ing. too> heating release oil > does not infuse (mix) in water.

As you didn't know about the honey thing but i did, similarly you may not know about glycerin but someone out there might know. Don't know why you are behaving that way, i never forced you personally to give advice if you don't know for sure. You may be surprised to hear, but there are many more people in the community. You ask questions based on the assumption that one of them might know what you don't. Even possible that one of them could be a university scholar as you suggested. Thats how a forum works. And that's not a rumour.

Hi. I did a little research on this, since I was unfamiliar with the idea of using glycerin in beverages. It's a sugar alcohol that has a lot of uses, including in food and beverages and is generally recognized as safe. From Vegetable glycerin on Health Line:
The bottom line
Vegetable glycerin is a clear, odorless and sweet-tasting liquid derived from vegetable fats.

It is added to food, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals and may offer health benefits, such as moisturized and resilient skin, relief from constipation, improved hydration and better physical performance.

If you’d like to give vegetable glycerin a try, start with a small amount to see how you react.
If you would like to explore another kind of infused beverage, shrubs are good and can be very interesting and inexpensive. From Food in Jars:
Shrubs are a combination of fruit, sugar and vinegar. Left to sit for a few days (or even longer), they develop a deep, sweet-tart flavor that is a wonderful addition to a glass of sparkling water, a batch of salad dressing, a fancy homemade cocktail, a marinade for meat or vegetables, or to a pan sauce.
This page is a compilation of recipes for jellies and shrubs from the same site. The author ran a series of preserving challenges for her readers several years ago: Roundup: Jellies and Shrubs

Thanks @GotGarlic for the info.

I read the healthline page prior posting the topic here, yes it says glycerin offers health benefits but sadly doesnt talk about heated glycerin.

Although the shrubs alternative looks interesting n healthy, surely will give that a try. Thanks for the recipe page as well. :)

@Sir_Loin_of_Beef I expected someone would say it when i used "can you?" in the topic. So here you are, the chosen one 😄.
@Kathleen i think you heard right. No need to double check 😁🫣.

Great! Thanks @GotGarlic for digging out this post. It clears out the chemistry part a lot.

Although i didn't see the part saying that its safe to consume heated glycerin. I do see them saying not to taste the boiled out brown residue at 160°C. Am i missing something here?

Also, it says it decomposes to acrolein when boiled at 260°C, which as it turns out is deadly in large quantity. In this prospect i am wondering if that hemlock comment was even a joke.

I don't get it because if it is used in baking and cooking, then at some point might be reaching its boiling temperature. So how can this be widely used (as per healthline post) yet so dangerous at high temperature. Again, am i missing something vital here, any thoughts?

Last edited:
Great! Thanks @GotGarlic for digging out this post. It clears out the chemistry part a lot.

Although i didn't see the part saying that its safe to consume heated glycerin. I do see them saying not to taste the boiled out brown residue at 160°C. Am i missing something here?
I'm extrapolating from this and a couple other sources that using it as you're suggesting is safe. Just don't cook it for long and don't cook the water away. Since you just want to make an infusion by simmering for 10 minutes, I think it will be fine.
Also, it says it decomposes to acrolein when boiled at 260°C, which as it turns out is deadly in large quantity. In this prospect i am wondering if that hemlock comment was even a joke.

I don't get it because if it is used in baking and cooking, then at some point might be reaching its boiling temperature. So how can this be widely used (as per healthline post) yet so dangerous at high temperature. Again, am i missing something vital here, any thoughts?
Boiling happens at 100C, of course, so reaching 260C has to use a method that goes much higher than that. Most baking is done at 350F/177C to 400F/218C, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom