Candy thermometers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlowCook66

Cook
Hi,

Does a glass traditional candy thermometer need to be submerged up to the liquid level line indicated on the thermometer when making fudge?

If so, how off ca. You be when only submerging the bulb of the thermometer?

Thank you

My glass candy thermometer does not have a liquid level line so I'm not sure what you mean.
Can you describe where that line is?

See the wiggly line !

Attachments

• IMG_3269.png
    IMG_3269.png
    502.3 KB · Views: 10
I don't remember ever seeing that. I would have thought that submerging the entire bulb would be good enough. When I used a glass thermometer for candy, the one I had didn't have any metal other than the clip. It was sort of like a closed test tube with a bulb at the bottom. But, I really don't know.

Here's a photo of my really old candy thermometer, and there is no "minimum depth" line anywhere on it. Maybe the instructions that came with it said to put it down to the bracket - I just put it down to where it touches the pot on the bottom, as the body of the thermometer keeps the bulb off the pot by at least a half inch. That writing on the left, between the bracket and 100° mark is just "Taylor", and "Made In USA". Tells you how old this is, along with the mercury in it! :LOL:
No minimum depth mark on this old candy thermometer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I don't remember ever seeing that. I would have thought that submerging the entire bulb would be good enough. When I used a glass thermometer for candy, the one I had didn't have any metal other than the clip. It was sort of like a closed test tube with a bulb at the bottom. But, I really don't know.
Well, one way was to see if it indicates 100C at boiling point of water. And mine at boiling point was about 95C ….so I doubled my fudge batch so that the mixture can reach very close to the wiggly line and at boiling point the thermometer showed 99C or very close to 100.

I read somewhere that not all thermometers have the wiggly line and therefore this may not apply to your themrometer….. but if your thermometer has the level indication with the wiggly line it means that the thermometer works best when you submerge the thermometer to that wiggly line level! Another thing I learned 🫤.

Here's a photo of my really old candy thermometer, and there is no "minimum depth" line anywhere on it. Maybe the instructions that came with it said to put it down to the bracket - I just put it down to where it touches the pot on the bottom, as the body of the thermometer keeps the bulb off the pot by at least a half inch. That writing on the left, between the bracket and 100° mark is just "Taylor", and "Made In USA". Tells you how old this is, along with the mercury in it! :LOL:
No minimum depth mark on this old candy thermometer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
I read somewhere that not all thermometers have the wiggly line and therefore this may not apply to your themrometer….. but if your thermometer has the level indication with the wiggly line it means that the thermometer works best when you submerge the thermometer to that wiggly line level!

Ok, I happen to have both types of thermometers. The glass tube one, which does not have a mark, and the metal one which has a spacer at the bottom so that you don't accidentally touch the bottom of the pan. That one looks like yours. Except mine is for deep frying - not a candy thermometer.

This metal framed one at the top goes up to 450 and 500 F. What is the top number on yours? This one is specifically for deep frying. (I'm not saying it can't be used for candy but it was not particularly made for that)
and yes pepper, mine is Taylor No 5917 - :chef:

My Glass one has a temperature guide on the insert that shows the guide for both candy and fat. A much newer one from Taiwan. Even though it says it is dishwasher safe - I'm guessing it is not "drop on the floor and smash safe" But there is not name/manufacturer on it. Because I remember the wooden ball on the metal clip and this one clearly never had one. :mrgreen:

So all this to say - although thermometers may be interchangeable between candy and fat - try to ascertain that yours is for candy. If for no other reason than the markings will be easier for you to see and recognize as for candy.

As to your question on depth:-
Pretty sure yours will have a clip on the back to attach to the edge of the pot. Use it, and at least make sure the liquid is at least to your line. If it doesn't reach the line at all then I suggest you are using a pot way too big for the recipe. A little above won't change anything.
Don't complicate things by over thinking it! You know that old adage... KISS.

What’s a chef Alarm ?

This: ?

No, this:

I trust the thermometers from ThermoWorks. I use this one every single day, mostly for the nice, loud timer. I don't remember if the clip came with it or if I bought that separately. I think it came with. One nice thing about ordering from ThermoWorks is that they have a great shipping deal to Canada that includes the import fees and Canadian sales taxes.

No, this:

I trust the thermometers from ThermoWorks. I use this one every single day, mostly for the nice, loud timer. I don't remember if the clip came with it or if I bought that separately. I think it came with. One nice thing about ordering from ThermoWorks is that they have a great shipping deal to Canada that includes the import fees and Canadian sales taxes.
Thanks 👍

Ok, I happen to have both types of thermometers. The glass tube one, which does not have a mark, and the metal one which has a spacer at the bottom so that you don't accidentally touch the bottom of the pan. That one looks like yours. Except mine is for deep frying - not a candy thermometer.

This metal framed one at the top goes up to 450 and 500 F. What is the top number on yours? This one is specifically for deep frying. (I'm not saying it can't be used for candy but it was not particularly made for that)
and yes pepper, mine is Taylor No 5917 - :chef:

My Glass one has a temperature guide on the insert that shows the guide for both candy and fat. A much newer one from Taiwan. Even though it says it is dishwasher safe - I'm guessing it is not "drop on the floor and smash safe" But there is not name/manufacturer on it. Because I remember the wooden ball on the metal clip and this one clearly never had one. :mrgreen:

So all this to say - although thermometers may be interchangeable between candy and fat - try to ascertain that yours is for candy. If for no other reason than the markings will be easier for you to see and recognize as for candy.

As to your question on depth:-
Pretty sure yours will have a clip on the back to attach to the edge of the pot. Use it, and at least make sure the liquid is at least to your line. If it doesn't reach the line at all then I suggest you are using a pot way too big for the recipe. A little above won't change anything.
Don't complicate things by over thinking it! You know that old adage... KISS.
Thanks 👍

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom