Canning today 2023 Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't ccan anymore but the grocer had bushels and bushes of roma's on sale for $16.00.
It's unusual for big box stores to carrying canning type food but every time I see it - makes me want to start again.
But meanwhile was wondering if it was a good price? and also they didn't look like field tomatoes. Too perfect in size and shape, etc. :LOL:

The apples on the 2 trees aren't ripe yet. The smaller, bug bitten apples are falling and some of the non bug bitten ones. Cost: 40 years of tending the trees/lb plus spraying. Almost free.
We have about 6 or 7 gallons of pretty good apples, which we put through the corer/peeler/slicer today, joint effort. They are almost cooked down in the 18 qt roaster. Sometime between now and midnight we'll have canned applesauce. I'm just waiting for the apples to finish giving off their air-they puff up a little. Once that is done we'll get them in jars to can.

The apples on the 2 trees aren't ripe yet. The smaller, bug bitten apples are falling and some of the non bug bitten ones. Cost: 40 years of tending the trees/lb plus spraying. Almost free.
We have about 6 or 7 gallons of pretty good apples, which we put through the corer/peeler/slicer today, joint effort. They are almost cooked down in the 18 qt roaster. Sometime between now and midnight we'll have canned applesauce. I'm just waiting for the apples to finish giving off their air-they puff up a little. Once that is done we'll get them in jars to can.
Your house must smell really good !

I made 5 pints of pickled beans today - 2 of the dilly beans, and 3 of the cumin coriander beans. They are on my back deck cooling - I really didn't want to be heating my kitchen up with that, though I did make the brine inside, and first heated the water for the lids, on the induction burner. I made extra brine, using that cumin coriander recipe, as the rice wine vinegar sounds good in it. That one had twice as much salt, which sounds like too much to me, so I used the 2 tb in the dilly brine, which sounds like most of my pickles.

Here are the beans. I weighed the beans when I jammed one jar with them, and I had almost exactly 5 times that. I put spices and garlic in the bottoms of the jars, along with a scant ¼ tsp of calcium chloride, for crisp, before packing the jars with 6 oz of beans, then the brine. Now, it's just waiting a couple of weeks.
Beans cut up for 5 pints of pickles, mostly sweet white and Thai red long beans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

5 pints of pickled beans, 2 spicy recipes - Dilly beans, and Cumin Coriander beans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are the two recipes I got for these, changed a little, but pretty much the same.

Last edited:
11 qts and 1 pint applesauce, done!
@larry_stewart yes the house smelled good and the leftover applesauce tasted wonderful.

The floor was sticky, so I put on the purple mop slippers and mr bliss (being a good sport) put on the pink ones, we got them a little wet, then cleaned up the sticky kitchen floor. It worked great! And we laughed.
d8b2c1ad-4e96-4c46-8681-565c6ba264c1.__CR0,0,1455,900_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

@larry_stewart yes the house smelled good and the leftover applesauce tasted wonderful.

The floor was sticky, so I put on the purple mop slippers and mr bliss (being a good sport) put on the pink ones, we got them a little wet, then cleaned up the sticky kitchen floor. It worked great! And we laughed.
Yay for applesauce. Yay for partners who are good sports.

I think I want some of those mop slippers. Do you have a link?

d8b2c1ad-4e96-4c46-8681-565c6ba264c1.__CR0,0,1455,900_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
Did you guys put on any music while doing the "clean up the apple sauce mop slipper dance", so you could clean to the beat ? :ROFLMAO: .

I think that's great! Definitely something my wife and I would do. We'd probably video then send the video to our kids to show them we're still crazy.

I made 5 pints of pickled beans today - 2 of the dilly beans, and 3 of the cumin coriander beans. They are on my back deck cooling - I really didn't want to be heating my kitchen up with that, though I did make the brine inside, and first heated the water for the lids, on the induction burner. I made extra brine, using that cumin coriander recipe, as the rice wine vinegar sounds good in it. That one had twice as much salt, which sounds like too much to me, so I used the 2 tb in the dilly brine, which sounds like most of my pickles.

Here are the beans. I weighed the beans when I jammed one jar with them, and I had almost exactly 5 times that. I put spices and garlic in the bottoms of the jars, along with a scant ¼ tsp of calcium chloride, for crisp, before packing the jars with 6 oz of beans, then the brine. Now, it's just waiting a couple of weeks.
Beans cut up for 5 pints of pickles, mostly sweet white and Thai red long beans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

5 pints of pickled beans, 2 spicy recipes - Dilly beans, and Cumin Coriander beans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are the two recipes I got for these, changed a little, but pretty much the same.

Did you process them in a water bath?

Canning tomatoes is waiting on the tomatoes to change color from green to red.
august-end-065.jpg

And in the mean time, plums just went on sale for 99 cents/lb-who doesn't like plum sauce, or plum puree/jam, or dried plums? Could I pass these up and be happy for a year without plums...that is always the question, the answer is no, I need plums.

That Salsa sounds great. Then there are Chutney's too. I've done 2 different mixed fruits,
1. apples, tomatoes, pears, plums, raisins (or currents)
2. garlic, apples, peaches, onions, golden raisins, dried apricots.

some of the jams,
Plums & Crabapples -
Plums & Amaretto -
Mango & Plums -
Plums, Apple, Pears -
Plums, Nectarines, Apples

all of these are from
Ellie Topp & Margaret Howard's "Small-Batch Preserving"
A wonderful book that I almost wore out. I went crazy on them for a couple of years. I would process them in 1/4 pint and 1/2 pint jars mostly. Keep one or two for myself and sell the rest to my horsey group. Was great to have a bunch of different flavours.

bliss, I know the style of small batch is not your thing, but the combo's when you only have a few and need to fill in.

mmmmmmm @dragnlaw they all sound delicious.
You're right I usually make a large batches. That's one of the reasons I usually try to make the more basic or simple items that I can add to things later, or use the item to create something more complicated later.
I have some orange marmalade I use in my stir fry sauce when I make a batch. That's why my fruits are cooked down into purees or sweetened into a lower sugar jam.
I found this recipe for a sauce. I haven't decided whether to make a sauce or just a plum puree.
Plum sauce anoregoncottage.com/spicy-canned-plum-sauce/
4 pounds plums washed, cut in half and pitted (or amount needed to equal 8 cups of food-processed chopped plums)
3/4 cup chopped onion about 1 medium
1½ cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons dry ground ginger
1 tablespoon salt
2 cloves garlic minced, about 2 teaspoons
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes or to taste
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup cider vinegar

Latest posts

Back