Catching Up With Kaneohegirlinaz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The spiderman one looks great. What do you use to paint the rocks? That is, which paints and do you cover it with some sort of protector?

I'm interested in making some for the gardens to identify my plants.

That is a great idea.. :)

Ross

Here's the website that I used when I first started to Paint Rocks Guys.

https://rockpainting101.com/

I use these products:

IMG_5414.jpg
Look for the paint at Walmart, 50¢ per, buy cheap-o brushes there too.
I found some really cute stickers that I've been using 47¢-97¢ per card.
Now those paint pens are about $20 per pack online, but I like them WAY better than any other brand out there, and believe me, I've tried them! I've used the different colored Sharpies, but I found them very persnickety, sometimes it washed off or just faded off.
The rocks themselves you can fin in the Garden Centers or online.

IMG_5415.jpg

I like to wrangle all of them into an inexpensive basket from Dollar Tree

IMG_5416.jpg

I bought cheap cooling racks from Dollar Tree as well Waxed Paper for drying. I paint on Newspaper and then seal with the Mod Podge, dry and then spray with some sort of Acrylic Clear Coat, the brand doesn't matter.
Oh, and I've found that even painting in the house, the fumes give me a headache! So, keep to well ventilated areas.

This hobby is a lot of fun. You can be as creative as you feel.

Last edited:
Next stop was a check mark off my bucket list … Key West Florida.
Even though I'm from a place with beautiful beaches and the Pacific Ocean surrounding the island, I've always wanted to come here.

Our drive South from Key Largo to Key West was spectacular! We had been told that the Seven Mile Bridge would be spooky, but we didn't find that to be so. DH had driven down here with his buddy's back when we were all young adults, but that was on the "old bridge" As we passed it along side the new one, I couldn't imagine it being sturdy and yes probably scary back then.

IMG_3698.jpg

What I did see as odd was something in the air, off in the distance... IT'S A BLIMP! DH thought that it was most likely a weather blimp, as we were close to an Air Station. So I looked that up and yup, he's correct! That was kinda cool.

IMG_4961.jpg

We got ourselves checked in to our hotel, and boy-howdy-dowdy let me tell you guys, THIS is a real nice place!

IMG_4963.jpg

IMG_4964.jpg

This is out our back door!

BB284193-EA2E-4B36-8145-F505BC3E101C.jpg

D29AA3AC-A433-4EAF-90A6-93CA9708E8D9.jpg

Not a bad place at all!

IMG_4980.jpg

We sat in the chaise lounge chairs after a dip in the pool, and watched the sunset, gorgeous.

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5014.jpg

And what did I spy across the street from the hotel but another Publix.
Dinner, done!

I love the Florida Keys. My mom used to own rental homes there and we visited during Christmas or spring break for several years, along with my sister and brother. Smokey Joe's bar, Hemingway's house, Mallory Square at sunset, seafood fresh off the boat from the shop down the street... Great memories [emoji295] [emoji905] [emoji1654] [emoji267] [emoji484] Have a wonderful time.

Blimps are fun! Goodyear has a blimp park near our son Goober's place. The Airdock they park them in looks cool in a silly way. Found an inside the hangar tour, if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJdsZAzoW-M

THAT pointing up.jpg looks like it would have been really cool to see/do, but we are at home now … this is "catching you up" ;) And I thought that both Goober and Loverly lived back in OH? NO? :blink: I'm confused now … anywhos …

We have more adventures with K~Girl and DH in Key West Florida tomorrow.

… don't touch that dial everyone …

Yes, K-Girl, our progeny do live in OH. Goodyear has several blimps around the country, though. I didn't check the location of the one in the video, but they are probably pretty much the same.

I don't know if you are near Carson City when you visit your Mom, but you can take a tour of the blimp garage out there.

https://www.goodyearblimp.com/behind-the-scenes/

Last edited:
Yes, K-Girl, our progeny do live in OH. Goodyear has several blimps around the country, though. I didn't check the location of the one in the video, but they are probably pretty much the same.

Good info though CG!!
DH and I were just talking last night about possibly going AGAIN, soon ;)
I showed him this video and he said the same thing, "COOL!"
We're always on the look out for interesting places to see/do along the route.

Whenever we travel to a new City, we look for the "Hop-On/Hop-Off" trolley tours.
This is great way to orient ourselves with the area, get some local inside information from the guide/driver, while all the time taking notes.
We'll make one circuit, decided where we'd like to go back to and see more. This trip was no different.
It took us all around the island or "key", where we pasted by the hotel that we WERE going to stay.

Remember I made mention of an email I received just prior to leaving for Florida, that the hotel's pool would be closed... WELL!
The entire hotel was closed down for a major face-lift and re-branding, to a totally different chain all together. Oh my gosh!

Anyways ...

1F9F60F7-AC63-4564-865D-0C3F01ABAFD8.jpg

We dis-embarked the trolley for a rest stop and a re-grouping meeting.
DH waited back at the car in the AC and saw this.
What the heck!
I didn't see it, but as he showed me the photo on his phone,
I squealed "That's one of those big Iguanas they have here."
DH confirmed, it was big alright!

Well, by now it's time for lunch!

We had wondered around Mallory Square and in each shop we went into, I asked "where would YOU eat lunch?".
One of the proprietors handed me a fistful of coupons for free this or that.
I quickly looked through them and made a command decision:
Red Fish Blue Fish

73323852_1909734699171718_8069560447520473088_o.jpg

This restaurant was on my radar, but best of all, they offered a free Beer AND piece of Key Lime Pie!

SCORE!

IMG_4932.jpg

DH's raw Oysters ...

34D211AA-2B01-452B-92C1-D42ACC4978B3.jpg

… followed by a Chef Salad

IMG_4933.jpg

and my lunch of a half pound of the local Pink Shrimp :yum: and a side of Coleslaw, perfect!

I missed a snapshot of the pie, which we did as a take-out for later, but I'll tell ya, that was good. Each restaurant has their own way of making/serving their slice.
Oh, and did you see the chicken? There everywhere!

Well, it's hot & humid and we needed a dunk in the hotel pool. We'll end the day here and tackle another one tomorrow …

LOVING your travel and foodie pics, Kgirl! Sorry for not responding to every one (life getting in the way) but I read every single one and really appreciate your pics! :wub:

Another day has dawned in Key West Florida and we've got places to go and people to see, but let's have breakfast first.

IMG_5007.jpg

On my excursions across the street from the hotel to Publix, I found Goldman's Bagel Deli, oh_my_gawd!
I only wish that I had discovered this small little joint before our last full day here!
I haven't that good of a bagel in a very, very long time.
We decided to share a Bagel Breakfast Sandwich and a full brekkie plate, MMM! We ate every scrape! :LOL:

But like I said, places to go!

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

Truman's Little White House.
We found a metered stall were we thought would be pretty close, NOPE!
We must have walked something like 8 blocks in this sweltering heat and humidity.
Poor DH was soaked by the time we got there and wished he had brought an extra shirt to change into.
Anyways, the tour was all indoors and AIR CONDITIONED!!!
That was pretty nifty!

IMG_4927.jpg

We found our car and headed out in search of lunch.
I had been wanting to go to Eaton Street Seafood Market for Stone Crab Claws... well, we were one day too early.
The nice gal behind the counter said that they'd be getting theirs that evening, if I wanted to come back.
Well, we're here now, let's have a Lobster Roll instead.
That was wonderful and the Plantain Chips were something that I had never had before.

It had been a long, hot day, let's go back to the hotel, cool off and live to fight another day.

We decided to head out early to beat the heat and were off for Hemingway's Home Tour. I was excited!
I had heard so much about this place and really wanted to see it for myself.

IMG_4950.jpg

IMG_4942.jpg

IMG_4944.jpg

What an interesting home with such history to it.
And the cats, oh, they're everywhere, even on the roof!

We had skipped breakfast in leu of a huge highlight for both of us:
Duval Street and Margaritaville!

IMG_4956.jpg

IMG_4957.jpg

IMG_4959.jpg

IMG_4958.jpg

IMG_4960.jpg

It was early and they had just opened when we got there.
When in Rome … I just had to have a Margarita, The Perfect Margarita!
We decided to share a Club House Sandwich and Fries, mostly because we were going back to get me some Stone Crabs for dinner in the hotel room!!!!
:clap:

IMG_5009.jpg

Before we headed back to the hotel, we made our stop into Eaton Street Seafood Market again.
YUM! I was in heaven, let me tell you friends and neighbors!

IMG_5014.jpg

IMG_5011.jpg

We got another ready-made meal in the refrigerator section at Publix for DH, and bought another slice of Key Lime Pie from Eaton Street, again different.

What a great end to another wonderful day in Key West Florida.
But alas, this is our last day.

Tomorrow we leave and head back to the mainland.

It's time to say goodbye to Key West Florida.
We thought it wise that we rise early on our departure day and head over to The Southern Most Point In The Continental United States.

(The Southern Most Point in ALL of the United States is, what for it, HAWAII!)

We had driven past this spot several times, but there was always such a long line of folks waiting to have their picture taken at The Buoy.
We figured that if we went just after the Sun came up, we'd have no problem either with parking or with a crowd.
We were right!

IMG_5005.jpg

IMG_5006.jpg

The Sun was just coming up and we parked right in front, no trouble.

IMG_5003.jpg

How poetic that the Conch Nation bids us farewell by the blowing of the Conch …

A hui hou, until we meet again, Aloha Key West Florida.

Let Me Catch You Up After Our Skin Cancer Scare ...

We had to wait an agonizing EIGHTEEN DAYS!
:mad:
We really like this Doc, but his staff leave something to be desired!

Anywhos ... I called to the office THREE TIMES with no call back,
and finally today, I got through to a live person and got our results ...

BENIGN!

I thank you all DC friends for your prayers, good vibes, karma, whatever you believe in your heart, I truly appreciate that.

SO ...
Let's catch up

IMG_6276.jpg
The Gal Pals knew that I needed a distraction, so we played cards and of course I had to bring a snack along

IMG_6284.jpg
Take away BBQ from a new-ish place here in Cowboyville.
I made my own sides of Slaw, BBQ Beans and Corn Bread

IMG_6283.jpg
I didn't weigh this, but I'd be willing to bet you that this was a good 4 pounds of MEAT! We ate this for 3 days and I still have some Brisket in the deep freeze for down the road.

IMG_6285.jpg
Then the next morning I HAD to have toasted Corn Bread with Butter and Honey, oh and some BACON!

IMG_6300.jpg
Local-Style Comfort Food: Japanese Style Fried Chicken with store bought Sushi and my Quick Cucumber Kim Chee (or Kimchi, whatever)

IMG_6301.jpg
Poke Bowl, more comfort food
My Oven Kalua Pork, Homemade Lomi Lomi Salmon and Hawaiian-Style Ahi Poke

IMG_6303.jpg
27th Wedding Anniversary Dinner, same as above just add Kamaboko or steamed Fish Cake, that Pink and White Stuff, ONO!

IMG_6305.jpg
Lunch of leftovers

IMG_6312.jpg
More leftovers

IMG_6310.jpg
Lunch for Moi, handmade Pasta and Pesto Shrimp :yum:
DH had Anchovy Cacio e Pepe (sorry no photo-he ate it before I could get a snap)

IMG_6309.jpg
I may have mentioned that I purchased an Electric Skillet
:idea:
We haven't had Pancakes in for ever!

IMG_6313.jpg
Round two

IMG_6318.jpg
and round three - that was comfort!

IMG_6319.jpg
I did some Rock Painting to keep my mind off of things

IMG_6322.jpg
... as well some crafting

DH was really great about eating leftovers AND Pancakes 3 mornings in a row :ROFLMAO:
He knew that food is my comfort, not just eating but cooking/prepping/shopping all of it!
I'm just glad that it's over with and now ...

LET'S MOVE ON!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom