Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Note to self: Get real, Tinlizzie. Getting another "pet" just may belong in the same department as thinking another baby is a good idea - while observing a sleeping toddler. That carton of eggs in the fridge is soooo easy to come by.
Store-bought eggs might be easy to come by, but REAL eggs are so much better. And the chicken poo is great fertilizer. It dries very quickly, so a quick sweep and you're done.

Note to self: Get real, Tinlizzie. Getting another "pet" just may belong in the same department as thinking another baby is a good idea - while observing a sleeping toddler. That carton of eggs in the fridge is soooo easy to come by.
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the laugh!!!

Speaking of babies...only one has hatched and Momma is keeping it tucked under her wing. She's still very determined to stay on the rest of the remaining eggs. I will try and get the chick out from under her this afternoon and post a picture. It is yellow--which surprised me. Dad and mom are Rhode Island Reds. I was expecting reddish chicks...

My batteries died so I only got this one pic of the singleton (have to admit it is very cute <g>). Still no others and I don't think the other eggs are going to hatch...

Attachments

• breakfast_St_Uro 025.jpg
    breakfast_St_Uro 025.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 134
Who did you get to replace Cocky Rocky Rooster? Does he have a name? I hope your present male doesn't attack you like Rocky did. :angel:

Last edited:
Who did you get to replace Rocky Rooster? Does he have a name? I hope your present male doesn't attack you like Rocky did. :angel:
Rocky is in retirement at the farm with his flock of 10 older hens (acquired just for him after he got attacked and I nursed him back to health). They still lay, just not as many as the rest of the girls. My girls don't have a rooster (and I don't think they want one <g>).

The DH picked up a flock of Rhode Island Reds in July (10 1-yr old girls). They came with a rooster named...Red (I guess that's better than Rhoady...). He is much nicer than Rocky--more like an oversized hen (and doesn't pester his girls all the time--probably why one egg hatched, combined with the cold...letting Mother Nature do her thing). Momma and baby are in the workshop where there is heat, but DH should have moved the nest box when she turned broody...IMO. More eggs might have hatched. If this one is a rooster, he will come to be with my girls (provided he is NICE). Waiting to see if any of girls in Rocky's new harem turn broody...

Henny was fine last night when I locked the girls down. I went out this morning to let them out, she wasn't with the flock. I called "where are you?" expecting to her responding coo. Silence. Sometime between the time I locked them down and this morning, Henny went to the big farm in the sky. :-(

Henny was fine last night when I locked the girls down. I went out this morning to let them out, she wasn't with the flock. I called "where are you?" expecting to her responding coo. Silence. Sometime between the time I locked them down and this morning, Henny went to the big farm in the sky. :-(

RIP dear Henny. :(

Aww, C. That's a shame. You've had some tough luck with your biddies and I know you love every feather on their little backs. Sorry.

Thanks. It is not how long or short one's life is, it is the quality. Henny had a great life (and got to watch DA with me). I'll miss her special coo.

She will be just as happy on the new farm and she was with you. I am sure she cood on her way to the happy farm. We all loved you Henny. :angel:

CWS, so sorry. RIP Henny!

Spring has definitely SPRUNG! The girls have been staying close to the barn and the other building all winter. So much so, that the two flocks have not been interacting. Well, since the weather has been so nice, they've been getting adventuresome. Today Myrtle and Harriet ventured to the house and "knocked" on the door (darn near drove Isabelle insane). I quickly chopped up some cheese and treated them for coming to say "hello." It has been so long since I've had hens on the deck...it was nice to see them sunning themselves on the picnic table (note to self: bleach picnic table before thinking about eating anything off of it). Pearl and Opal (the Buff O. Plymouth Rock crosses that hatched last June and are a pale yellow) are FILTHY. They have been taking mud baths. Either that, or they want to be black hens...Yes, Spring has SPRUNG! The girls are getting more difficult to get in at night--they want to stay out until the last possible moment. I really have to be stricter about their curfew.

I take it that they weren't fond of wearing the nice winter clothing you had for them last year. To bad. They were quite fashionable. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom