Chocolate Phyllo Strudel Roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Was trying to make some phyllo shells for my catering. They weren't going quite the way I wanted, and while I have figured out the problem, I wasn't into buttering, layering, cutting, layering and filling the tiny cups but also didn't want to waste the pastry (and had a chocolate craving) so this is the result.

Chocolate Phyllo Strudel Roll
3 sheets Phyllo Pastry
melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 TBSP cocoa
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Combine the sugar, cocoa and cinnamon in a small bowl. Brush one sheet of phyllo generously with melted butter and top with generous sprinkle of sugar mixture. Seperately, brush the second sheet of phyllo with more melted butter and invert (butter side down) over the sugar. Brush butter on the phyllo and sprinkle with more sugar. Brush one side of the last phyllo sheet with butter and invert on the stack. Brush top with butter and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture, trying not to get too close to the long sides.

Roll up from the long side as tightly as possible. Brush butter on the long end remaining and seal the roll. Brush butter along all sides of the roll and put in onto a greased cookie sheet with sides. Slit the top diagonally with a sharp knife, just through the top layer.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 - 10 minutes or until golden brown all over. Let cool on a rack and cut through the slits, trimming edges if necessary.

Hope you like it - as I say it was just a fluke!

Laurie, this looks fantastic..What were you going to do with the cups, or what filling? The kids love ice cream so I made some little cups out of fried wan ton skins the round ones, dusted them with a mix of cocoa and powdered sugar and filled with ice cream, plan to make some more and fill with chocolate pudding...
kades;)

Kades, I have some savoury and sweet fillings for them and I need them bite sized. I realized I had too many layers. I have made them in regular muffin cups and used three double layer squares and did that with the mini ones, but that is too much so I will use four single layered squares. I now remember that is what I did before.

The fillings are chocolate ganache, lemon curd, and the savories are a Thai chicken and a Japanese beef.

I might play around with the wonton wrappers for the savoury fillings. Thanks!

Your filling are great..I'd go for any of them I've done the lemon curd and the chocolate and they go like hot cake with this bunch:LOL: I'd love the recipes for the Thai chicken and Japenese beef..My gang love things like this. Now don't rush to get me the recipes,you have a plate full already..Just when you can I'd love it if you don't ind.
kades:angel:

I have stuffed wontons with many good things! My favorite filling for savoury is dice chicken, shrimp, pineapple and chillies, served with any sort of plum sauce, or a sweet chili. I also recall a time my prep team was craving cereal before lunch service so we cut wontons into strips and fried them, quickly dusted with powdered sugar and cinnamon, let them cool and made cereal. It was actually very tasty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom