Christmas 2017 menus/plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miss having family. We used to do smorgasbord. Took us 3-4 days of lots of hours in the kitchen. I wish those who have family would bring "meals on wheels" to those who don't. I am so tired of making 3 meals a day. It would be a nice Xmas gift if I had that time off. Just saying.

Christmas dinner is at my house. Head count is 5; sis and her dh and a good friend of mine. Sis is making 2 pumpkin pies with whipped cream, and broccoli, BIL is making his famous stuffing, friend is making a cranberry salad and kale gratin. I am fixing a cider brined and roasted turkey breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, herbed dinner rolls and it seems like something else but it escapes me at the moment.

BIL is having dinner Christmas Day. So far I know we are having turkey and ham. Dx is making mash potatoes and Jr is bringing au gratin potatoes. So meat and taters are covered.

We went out to lunch with the BIL's Saturday, and they asked what kind of veggie i'm bringing, since all I said was a "vegetable" previously. I offered one of three choices and they both said Green beans in unison, so GB it is. I think I will just dress them simply with a lemon garlic butter sauce and top with some toasted almond slices.

We will have our immediate family Christmas on Christmas eve day, presumably during football. I'm bringing homemade lefse and Swedish meatballs. Don't know what else anyone is making.

I like being a Swede, same menu as last year. So ham, broth for bread, ribs, brawn, boiling sausages, fried mini isterband ( we gave up on the traditional weiners, because no one likes them and went for this local sausage instead), meatballs, liver pate , potatobake, roasted Brussels sprouts , cheese and cold cuts, I think that is all.

Ah, Smörgåsbord. My BIL was of Swedish heritage, and made his very Americanized version of it for us at xmas. It wasn't as good as what you describe. Good choice replacing the weiners. There are so many better sausages.

We were all good with the food, but he then gave all of us shots of aquavit. That is some nasty stuff.

CD

Found out there is no football on Sunday, it's all on Saturday. Granddaughter can sing Rudolph over and over with no competition. It's the only holiday song she knows.

Just found out I am getting a 14 lb turkey from work...will have to dig out space in the freezer.

No not smörgåsbord, we are not making sandwiches or having small bite sized dishes. It is gående bord, Walking table, well actually a table you walk too.

Breakfast. ~~ Morning Rolls, Sausage Balls, Coffee & Chicory.

The Bar at Twin Oaks will only be serving three drinks this year...Mimosas, Bloody Mary's, and Milk Punch.

Appetizers will include, Cheese straws, Cajun Fire Crackers, Small Boudin Balls, Raw Oysters, Millionaires, Chocolate Covered Cherries, Chocolate Fudge loaded with pecans etc.

Sometime around/afternoon.

Fried Turkey.
Double Smoked Ham.
Southern Cornbread Dressing.
Asparagus Casserole.
Southern Style Green Beans.
Pink Lady Peas.
Fresh Cranberries with Grand Marnier
Homemade Yeast Rolls.
The Little Brown-eyed girl don't know it yet but there will be a pot of fresh mustard/turnip greens with roots on the back eye for those who want to indulge. :ermm: (Wish me luck :LOL:)

Pecan Pie. A la mode if ya wanna.
Peanut Butter Pie,
White Chocolate Bread Pudding,

Miss having family. We used to do smorgasbord. Took us 3-4 days of lots of hours in the kitchen. I wish those who have family would bring "meals on wheels" to those who don't. I am so tired of making 3 meals a day. It would be a nice Xmas gift if I had that time off. Just saying.

I was just reading a few articles on NPR about smorgasbords. Here's one: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...he-swedish-sm-rg-sbord-redefines-over-the-top

Another one mentioned that any true smorgasbord must start with herring and end with ham, presumably before dessert begins.

So, I guess we're not following the rules exactly as we're starting with smoked mackerel. Hmm, maybe I'll pick up some pickled onions and herring this week..

CW, too bad you weren't closer. You are welcome to our julbord.

No not smörgåsbord, we are not making sandwiches or having small bite sized dishes. It is gående bord, Walking table, well actually a table you walk too.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I'll have to Google gående bord.

No comment on the Aquavit? :glare:

CD

Christmas dinner is at my house. Head count is 5; sis and her dh and a good friend of mine. Sis is making 2 pumpkin pies with whipped cream, and broccoli, BIL is making his famous stuffing, friend is making a cranberry salad and kale gratin. I am fixing a cider brined and roasted turkey breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, herbed dinner rolls and it seems like something else but it escapes me at the moment.

We are up to 7 for dinner. Looks like one of dh's sons from OK and his daughter will be in Taos in time for Christmas dinner.

Fabulous sounding Christmas menus! :yum:

We're a blended family here, so the holiday season menu fixin's tend to be spread out a bit over several days. We're used to it, it's been this way for years, and this year is no different. :LOL:

The dinner menu here will be a roasted bone-in ham, scalloped potatoes, steamed string beans with sautéed mushrooms and onions, salad, fresh fruit salad, and a store bought Claim Jumper peach pie. :yum:

Our best buds are hosting an open house buffet Christmas day.. Ham, turkey and sides.

I will be taking a cheese, olives and shaved meat plate along with 2 dips, chips, crackers, etc., to munch on as we watch football.

Another couple will be bringing dessert..

Ross

We will have a cozy dinner with just the two of us. I'm making a small standing rib roast, cheesy scalloped potatoes with sage- and garlic-infused half and half, green beans with dried cherries and herbed yeast rolls. I'm thinking about a chocolate-peanut butter tart for dessert.

Breakfast. ~~ Morning Rolls, Sausage Balls, Coffee & Chicory.

The Bar at Twin Oaks will only be serving three drinks this year...Mimosas, Bloody Mary's, and Milk Punch.

Appetizers will include, Cheese straws, Cajun Fire Crackers, Small Boudin Balls, Raw Oysters, Millionaires, Chocolate Covered Cherries, Chocolate Fudge loaded with pecans etc.

Sometime around/afternoon.

Fried Turkey.
Double Smoked Ham.
Southern Cornbread Dressing.
Asparagus Casserole.
Southern Style Green Beans.
Pink Lady Peas.
Fresh Cranberries with Grand Marnier
Homemade Yeast Rolls.
The Little Brown-eyed girl don't know it yet but there will be a pot of fresh mustard/turnip greens with roots on the back eye for those who want to indulge. :ermm: (Wish me luck :LOL:)

Pecan Pie. A la mode if ya wanna.
Peanut Butter Pie,
White Chocolate Bread Pudding,

Was going to just pass on sweet potatoes this year. Kinda a staple here at Twins Oaks anyway, BUT someone specifically requested Orange glazed sweet potatoes...sooooo. Also another request for "preacher" cookies. I'm hoping the special requests are over with.

We are having a white christmas here, no alcohol because my husband is on pain meds.

Christmas will be small this year, which I'm glad about, because I'm exhausted! Honestly, I'm super happy I don't have to invite family over, I love food but I'm not sure about family. :)

I'm thinking Italian, maybe a lasagna, or chicken piccata again (did it last year, was so delicious)! DH is hankering for the cheap ham on sale at the market, which we will eat for days. If I'm super lucky, I'll get treated to a ready-made brunch Christmas day and I'll just have to worry about dinner.

I will be more ambitious for NYE, but Christmas came so fast this year. I was working almost 40 hours/week. It doesn't feel like Christmas at all.

We will be 9 for Christmas at last count, 7 family and 2 good friends. I just finished rubbing the 2 rib roasts with kosher salt and put them in the fridge uncovered to get happy for a couple of days (I have one 6 lb and one 7 lb so I can try and satisfy the different doneness preferences in this quite varied group). I will roast them according to one of the Cook's Country methods. My wife is doing make ahead mashed potatoes, and the rest is being brought by various guests.

Found out there is no football on Sunday, it's all on Saturday. Granddaughter can sing Rudolph over and over with no competition. It's the only holiday song she knows.

I don't know where you got the idea that there is no football on Sunday. Or is it that since the Vikings play Saturday, nothing else matters? ;) I still follow the Vikings, even though I moved from Minnesota in 1964. Love what they are doing this year, especially with the dismal showing of my Denver Broncos. But there are still 12 games on Sunday, and I'll be watching NFL Red Zone for much of the day. And there are 2 games scheduled on Christmas Day too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom