Cooking spray alternatives and how to clean ruined CorningWare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KateH21

Assistant Cook
My elderly father who has cognitive impairment has been using cooking spray to grease dishes such as CorningWare before cooking his Jiffy cornbread. This has cause a sticky yellow residue to build up on the dishes. It appears that the ingredient Lecithin is the cause. I've used vegetable oil spreads/sticks that contain lecithin to grease pans and they never caused this sticky residue. Why do the sprays cause it but not the spreads/sticks?

Are there any easy alternatives to these cooking sprays? I've been wondering if I could put some canola oil in a spray bottle and have him use that? I don't think I could get him to use a stick of butter or anything like that.

Does anyone know how to safely clean CorningWare and Pyrex dishes with the sticky cooking spray residue on them? I've been scraping them with soap and my fingernails, but it doesn't get it all off. I tried soaking them in bleach, but that doesn't work very well. Then I found out my mom has been using an SOS pad to clean them after she's the one who taught me to never use abrasives in those dishes. :rolleyes: :( If I don't clean them before my father gets to them, he'll clean them with a harsh lemon cleaner that is not meant to be used on dishes. The label clearly states it's not safe to use on food services like dishes, but he does it anyway. He also doesn't dilute it and the toxic fumes are horrendous and he can't smell them at all.

Try that Dawn spray stuff. Dawn power something.

There are plenty of spray oils in your supermarket that don’t contain lecithin. Look on the shelves above the bottled oils.

If he is cognitively impaired it might be better for him to continue using a spray, since he knows how.

Seal the stained CorningWare in a plastic bag with a 1/2 cup of old fashioned clear ammonia and let it sit for a couple days.

Wash in warm sudsy water with a scrubber sponge and the funk should come off easily.

If you have trouble in the grooves and odd spots try a plastic bread clip as a scraper.

1713385831875.jpeg

I wouldn’t fuss about it, the stains on the CorningWare are not as important as your parents independence.

Last edited:
Try that Dawn spray stuff. Dawn power something.
That works pretty good on baked on/fried on grease. Spray it on, let it sit for a while, even up to overnight. Wash with dish detergent and spray again if needed.

You can try using a brush to apply oil or vegetable oil spray. As for adding canola oil to the sprayer, you can give it a try, but make sure to check if the sprayer is suitable for such use

You can try using a brush to apply oil or vegetable oil spray. As for adding canola oil to the sprayer, you can give it a try, but make sure to check if the sprayer is suitable for such use

Yeah, I use canola oil and a paper towel to lightly grease ceramic cookware.

If he is getting a sticky residue, he's probably using too much spray. There again, he could spray the dish, then wipe the excess out with a paper towel. You only need a very thin coating of fat.

CD

When I'm baking I use butter because it tastes better than oil or spray oil. I don't find Bakers Joy any better and it costs more. I reserve the spray stuff for foil lined sheet pans or similar. Those green scrubber pads (or SOS pads) will be fine for the Corning Ware.

Canola Oil in a spray bottle will eventually clog up and he'll just go back to the spray. I think GG suggestion of Baker's Joy spray is a good one. Still a spray.

If that doesn't work then as jennyema (and the cast of Frozen) says - let it be.

I don't know about stubborn grease but I have recently been using that Dawn Spray stuff and I like the way it works.

Edit: he is still going to want to use a spray no matter what you suggest. Sticks and greased paper will not fly. SOS will do it the best and easiest.. eventually. No matter what you use it will take an inordinate amount of elbow grease to do the job now on established grease.

Last edited:
For stuff like Corning Ware and Pyrex and other things that shouldn't be scrubbed with abrasive scrubbers, I use baking soda. I sprinkle some baking soda onto the DRY pot or or casserole or whatever. Then I take a slightly damp sponge or cloth and rub the DRY baking soda into the area that needs to be cleaned. It takes a bit of elbow grease, but it has been working for me for decades. I use it on porcelain tea cups on enamelled cast iron pots, Pyrex, Corning ware, etc. Please ask if you want any of my instructions explained.

Have mentioned this before in other threads - I use SOS pads on my glass baking dishes, enameled stove top and it is just fine. Maybe I'm lucky but scrubbing paste for hours is not my thing and I doubt it will be your father's either KateH21.

I do recommend the Dawn Power Spray as noted above, but, if that fails, can you use oven cleaner on Corning Ware?

You can get a nice refillable oil spritzer from TEMU for cheap. I paid $1.97 American for one. You can even finance it with AFFIRM. So far I like it and it works as advertised. If ever it doesn't, I think I can afford to trash it.

I am so sick all of this "China bashing" because I am old enough to remember when everyone had the same attitude towards Japanese goods. In the fifties, when Japan was trying to break into the American market, they flooded our economy with cheap junk, then started stealing our manufacturing processes, going so far as to reverse engineer our products and selling them at below cost, with the Japanese government's price supports, to increase their market share. Japanese companies have been caught doing this untold times, yet everyone in this country, with the exception of me, continue to buy their stuff and sing it's praises, as American companies go out of business because they can't manufacture this stuff and sell it at the price that Japanese companies can. That is why you could buy a Canon camera in Los Angeles cheaper than you could buy one in Tokyo. I still refuse to buy anything Japanese. My cars have always been either American or European and so have my electronics. I can proudly say that I do not own anything that a Japanese company has made a profit from.

Last edited:
Have mentioned this before in other threads - I use SOS pads on my glass baking dishes, enameled stove top and it is just fine. Maybe I'm lucky but scrubbing paste for hours is not my thing and I doubt it will be your father's either KateH21.
Yep, same here. That or Brillo. I've tried many methods to get the yellow/brown baked on stuff from my glass bakeware and those pads, plus a little elbow grease, are the only thing that's ever worked for me to get them sparkling white again and looking like new.

Back
Top Bottom