Cooking utensils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foodfiend

Senior Cook
I'm seriously thinking about changing my cooking utensils for my pots and pans. I've got 'Cook's Essential's' non-stick set from QVC, and I've been using my old usual metal cooking utensils (because they said they could be used - yeah right!), and noticed the other day that my big skillet is all scraped/scratched up (not enough to get rid of, just enough that I noticed it). I'm thinking about going to wood or some of those teflon/plastic utensils. Which do you prefer or which is best in general? Thanks.

I do not like wood personally. I find it too hard to keep clean and it does not do well in the dishwasher.

I love the Oxo Good grips line. they have metal utensils that have the ends coated in nylon so they are safe on non stick. Here is an example.

I have also found hard plastic spoons sold in my supermarket instead of wooden spoons. They last much longer than anything I have ever had and are great to use.

I have a mixture of wood and plastic I use for non-stick surfaces. I prefer wood to plastic. I haven't tried the OXO stuff.

I personally like wood, but like GB said, they are hard to keep clean, not just for the cleanliness, but the sanitation reasons, bacteria creeps in the wood so they must be washed very well. I also use my teflon spaula for stirring many things. more and more utensils are being made from teflon so its not that hard to find

I like wood (especially bambo and olive wood utensils , they are very hard and easy to wash by hand.) for sauteing stiring etc. I also like the silicon spatulas and scrapers because they can take the heat. Finally I bought a bag of black plastic kitchen tools for 5 bucks, thinking it was probably worthless. Turns out they're a great set, just don't deep fry em or leave em in a hot pan to cook! All the usual housewares stores sell em...Kitchen Connection, Linnens and things, Bed Bath and Beyond etc. I rarely use my hard utensils except maybe on the grill or in bare cast iron.

I don't put anything into my non-stick pans but wood or silicone. That is about all I use in my anodized aluminum and SS, too - except for dishing and serving.

I also use spatulas and ladles with silicon coating. It works great not only with teflon but any type of surface, and very easy to clean.

I, too, prefer bamboo to regular wood. You can actually soak them or put them in the dishwasher without making them splinter. I love silicone anything, especially "spoonulas" -- very heat resistent. I'm not much of one to care about the things matching (they're in a drawer), so mine are a mishmash of styles. Hubby grabbed MIL's potato masher, large spoon, and ladle when she got too sick to cook, and I was ecstatic ... they are identical to my mom's wedding present set that I used when I was learning to cook. I swear it is the ONLY potato masher! I love a lot of the Oxo Good Grips stuff, especially their potato peeler. Right now I want a silicone coated flat whisk for my nonstick skillets.

I have a variety from bamboo to SS to silicone which match up with the cast iron, SS, sand pots and the wok. Found the sharpest peeler/chopper in an Asian mkt. last week for $3.50 that I love. It simply feels good in the hand! I have bought 8 so far, keep giving them away. Also found a bamboo spatula for my wok that doesn't scrape and leave marks in the bottom. I guess you just have to find what's comfortable for you. I really enjoy using my Grandmother's knives, handmade by her father for skinning pigs.

I have a countertop rack with six stainless steel utensils for my stainless pots and pans, and a wall rack with six nylon tools for my two non-stick pans. The nylon ones I buy at the 99 Cents Only store, and if one of them breaks or melts, I just go get another one. If they no longer carry the ones I currently have, I buy a whole new set (it costs me about 6 bucks, plus tax) and donate the old ones to charity.

Back
Top Bottom