Cucumbers!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlingardener

Sous Chef
Our cucumbers are coming in, along with cherry tomatoes and the Romas, and we have a green bell pepper, also. Lots of salads in our near future!
cukes.jpg

There were five, but one got eaten!

I got a cucumber for a cucumber and onion salad and then I forgot it was down there. Dang it. Those look nice.

If you have too many to enjoy in pickles and salads try making a pitcher of cucumber water.

I large thinly sliced cucumber to 4-5 cups of water, refrigerate at least an hour, and enjoy.

You can add a little salt, lemon or lime juice, berries, etc…

You will find several recipes on the internet.

I made a raita to have as a side the second night I ate that Thai curry - not traditional with the Thai, but still good, and I had a bunch of cukes and I just made 4 pints of yogurt, the night before.

We went out for dinner last night at a Thai restaurant. I had sweet and sour pork. It was quite different from the Chinese equivalent - no breading and it had lots of vegetables, including cucumbers. I don't think I've ever had cooked cucumbers before. It was really good.
20230711_192518.jpg

We went out for dinner last night at a Thai restaurant. I had sweet and sour pork. It was quite different from the Chinese equivalent - no breading and it had lots of vegetables, including cucumbers. I don't think I've ever had cooked cucumbers before. It was really good.
View attachment 65211
Years ago, when I lived in Philly, we frequented this Chinese restaurant near our house. One of the first dishes we ever got there was a Buddhist Delight dish ( basically stirred veggies in a brown sauce). To our surprise , there were cucumbers in it. We figured, maybe it was an error, and they just reached for something and grabbed a bunch of precut cucumbers. The next time we ordered the dish, sure enough, there were cucumbers in it again. Through me off, cause like you, I had never eaten cooked cucumbers like that before, nor was I expecting it. I have never encountered cooked cucumbers ever again , other than that restaurant.
On a side note, we were in Boston and went to a Thai restaurant, but it was really an overall Asian restaurant , as they had Malaysian, Chinese, Thai ...dishes. I ordered the won ton soup and there was Iceberg lettuce in it along with chopped carrots, but more chopped like you would put in a salad. Again, I figured maybe they grabbed a bowl that was meant for a salad, already had a few salad veggies in it, and dumped the soup in by accident. Sure enough, the following year, ordered the same soup and there was iceberg lettuce in it. Didnt have much of a taste, but remarkably kept its crunch, even though it was in a hot soup. I now refer to it as 'Lettuce Soup', and occasionally put lettuce in my soup when I make a similar broth.
On a complete side note, I once ordered a vegetarian dish, take out, from a local Chinese restaurant. When I got home, and started to eat it, I found a chicken bone in it. I just assumed with the fast pace business and cooking, it wound up in there. As I continued to dig around in the dish, I found about a dozen chicken bones In it. Thats when I realized, this place also serves chicken wings, and without a doubt, someone in the kitchen was eating them and through the bones in a bowl, and the chef mistakenly grabbed that bowl while preparing my dish, and it wound up mixed in, and now in the take home container. What bothered me most, is not that it had the chicken bones in it , but that it was chicken bones that someone was chewing on just hours before. Although and honest mistake ( I hope), but we never ate or took in from there again, and it has since gone out of business.
Going full circle here, and bringing it back to cucumbers. Mine are kicking in, and so far I have made pickles and cucumber salad. Crap, while typing this I just remembered I wanted to make gazpacho today with them. Oh well, I'll post pone it until the weekend.

So I bought a new cucumber even though I forgot I had the last one and I made a cucumber and Vidalia salad as soon as I got home from the store so I wouldn't forget. I usually just put oil and vinegar on it, but while at the store I saw a favorite old bottled salad dressing that I haven't seen in years ever since they started making balsamic into such a big deal. And it's just a red wine vinaigrette. I remember many years ago keeping that on hand and really enjoying it so I bought that and cheated and just with ahead and put that on my cucumber and onion salad and I think it's going to be delicious. Just chilling.

Those are nice looking. I love cucumber and onion salads. I'm running to the farmer's market today for a stock up on their tomatoes and I'll probably grab a cucumber while I'm there.

So I bought a new cucumber even though I forgot I had the last one and I made a cucumber and Vidalia salad as soon as I got home from the store so I wouldn't forget. I usually just put oil and vinegar on it, but while at the store I saw a favorite old bottled salad dressing that I haven't seen in years ever since they started making balsamic into such a big deal. And it's just a red wine vinaigrette. I remember many years ago keeping that on hand and really enjoying it so I bought that and cheated and just with ahead and put that on my cucumber and onion salad and I think it's going to be delicious. Just chilling.
I prefer red wine vinegar to balsamic for a lot of applications. I'm having a cucumber-tomato salad with red wine vinegar right now. So good.

Red wine vinegar is my preference as well. Sometimes I'll use cider vinegar, but red wine is my favorite.
On the cucumber salad I usually make it with apple cider vinegar and oil just so it looks nice, but I prefer red wine vinaigrette on most things and red wine vinegar in most things. I'm getting lazier the older I get so I was glad to find the vinaigrette I like after so many years. I need to go clean some lettuce so I can have a salad of it later.

On the cucumber salad I usually make it with apple cider vinegar and oil just so it looks nice, but I prefer red wine vinaigrette on most things and red wine vinegar in most things. I'm getting lazier the older I get so I was glad to find the vinaigrette I like after so many years. I need to go clean some lettuce so I can have a salad of it later.
I love the red wine vinaigrette. Everything you need wrapped up into one bottle.

If you have too many to enjoy in pickles and salads try making a pitcher of cucumber water.

I large thinly sliced cucumber to 4-5 cups of water, refrigerate at least an hour, and enjoy.

You can add a little salt, lemon or lime juice, berries, etc…

You will find several recipes on the internet.
California Pizza Kitchen makes a cucumber drink that DH loves...it is alot like this one: Cucumber Reviver

I've only been picking one or two cucumbers each time, but it's been every day, so they are building up! So today I started by cutting up 5 of them, then 3 more, to cut into sticks, to pickle, in a half gallon mason jar. It was jam packed, but after pickling for just a couple of hours, there is about a 3" space at the top.
5 cucumbers, seeded and ready to cut into sticks, for quick pickling. Needed 3 more to fill the 1/2 gallon jar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All 8 cucumbers, in the 1/2 gal jar, with 3/4 c each sugar and vinegar, plus a tsp of salt, and 3/4 tsp calcium chloride, to crisp. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom