DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know there is a lot of things going on here. BUTTTT would anyone want some nice hot crepes, they taste lemony and have strawberry freezer jam to go over them. I made some Italian roast coffee for anyone who wants some. Now I'm going to make sammies and a salad for lunch any suggestions.
ma

you must have read my mind, kades! i would love a taste of your lemony crepes. this will have to my last coffee though. i'm getting real "buzzy" from all that caffeine. is that italian roast decaf of yours a good tasting coffee, kades? do you sometimes drink caffeinated coffee or sodas, kades, or do you stay with the decaf exclusively?

it's funny that you should ask for sandwich suggestions, kades. i've had this particular sandwich in mind, like a broken record, for weeks off and on-- don't know why either. i bet you have the perfect recipe for this, too. how do you make your beef french dip sandwiches, kades? rachael ray has a quickie version of a french dip, that i might have to try. a great big fat roast beef sandwich, with a bowl of au jus on the side to dip it in--omg, i can almost taste the juices! i'm gonna go for one more of your crepes, kades. i like to make a long thin roll-up out of them, with the jam squirting out from the sides, yum....

i think kades is a 'oao' too! (one-and-only) :)

Last edited:
you must have read my mind, kades! i would love a taste of your lemony crepes. this will have to my last coffee though. i'm getting real "buzzy" from all that caffeine. is that italian roast decaf of yours a good tasting coffee, kades? do you sometimes drink caffeinated coffee or sodas, kades, or do you stay with the decaf exclusively?

it's funny that you should ask for sandwich suggestions, kades. i've had this particular sandwich in mind, like a broken record, for weeks off and on-- don't know why either. i bet you have the perfect recipe for this, too. how do you make your beef french dip sandwiches, kades? rachael ray has a quickie version of a french dip, that i might have to try. a great big fat roast beef sandwich, with a bowl of au jus on the side to dip it in--omg, i can almost taste the juices! i'm gonna go for one more of your crepes, kades. i like to make a long thin roll-up out of them, with the jam squirting out from the sides, yum....
i think kades is a 'oao' too! (one-and-only) :)
My coffee wont get ya fuzzy it's de-caf plus I don't make it real dark. Glad you're enjoying the crepes. They are soo nummy:pig: Now when I make french dip I use either left over prime rib the bits and pieces. or I roast a small eye of the round. I then make a quick au jus from sauteed onions and garlic then toss in Knorr au jus salt and pepper and something to
help thicken the gravey just a tad. I like it with a little body the other not so much. then we eat after the sammies are put together. Oh if I use a eye of round I use the slicer and put the meat in the au jus so the au jus is a lot more than if using prime rib.
ma

Last edited:
Sorry I had to run off this morning, V. It's my day to visit the fishmonger -- I got so excited I even forgot to turn off the computer.

Can't take credit for the molasses cookies, but the coffee & 'lasses cookies sounds like a marriage made in heaven. I think they put the molasses next to the maple syrup at the grocer's.

I'm almost glad I can't stay now -- things to do, ya know -- the hammering and dust! Oi. Princess will have to dust the books all over again. Oh well, that's construction for you. But worth the trouble.

I just want to know which Darrell is the best carpenter? Everyone excels at something. Maybe one of them is the hunter in the family, and one a great carpenter. :angel:

Well it's not Darrell or his brother Darrell, it's his other brother Darrell that's best at carpentry. Darrell the eldest knows about welding and metalworking, Darrell in the middle is good with masonry and drywall, and it's Darrell the youngest that does the woodworking.

Which brings to my second point. You might remember I mentioned that they sometimes get carried away. You also might have noticed none of the brothers D know anything about architecture. Uncle Joe called this afternoon after he woke up from his afternoon nap (fell asleep in his rocker again). It seems that the brothers built two stories instead of just the one...LIKE THE PLANS said.

We have plenty of materials so that's not a problem. I need your help figuring out what to do with the extra room. More books? A movie room? Billiards? Study/upstairs or down?

holy crap! those darrell boys, i knew it, right away KNEW it in my gut--trouble times three! they come across like these goofy, harmless, maniacs--you know, like time bombs dressed in faded overalls...holy crap, what do we do now?

thing is, the 'accidents' that keep happening here--they all turn out to be more like lucky breaks...happy mistakes. well, i'm staying out of this one. we have ourselves an extra free, sound-proofed room. hey, so long as they don't contaminate the space with their x boxes and electronic games and toys....

Last edited:
Holy crap it looks AWESOME around here! Sorry I've been absent. Things were stupid busy at work! We had 5 admissions and one overdue intake that all got done in the last two days...mostly by me. Wow. I am so tired I can't remember if I'm coming or going.

I need a decaf latte, something sweet and a hug. Anyone still here? Sorry I left the library in such a mess. Thanks for tidying up behind me y'all. I'm around for 4 days now.

Thanks PF. I needed that. Now I just have to summon the energy to haul my sorry bum to bed. This blackcurrant tea was just the ticket though.

here you go, alix. you look like you could use another hug. (hugging) there, that's better. aw, there...you go ahead and sleep in tomorrow morning, get a good rest--the library books will keep... oh, and did you hear, we've got tin coming in to help out with the sorting, yeah....:)

Bubba called this morning. Says he has exciting news and wants to talk. He is coming to see me in Downtown Houston later this morning. I can't remember the last time he left Washington county...hmmmm.

I'll keep you posted.

V, do you mind handling the scheduling (if necessary) for the book sorting, or do we just do it whenever we have a chance?

A suggestion for the new upper room: how about a retreat, with a single-size bed for cat-naps or when not feeling all that well, or needing some peace and quiet (this is after the construction is finished). Some soft music, cushy pillows. A nice big oval rag rug in the middle of the room, and one of those reversible "do not disturb" signs to hang on the doorknob. Single occupancy only, of course. ;)

*yawn* Good morning all. I didn't sleep as late as I should have but at least I DID sleep in a bit. Got a cuppa mocha nut (sample) that tastes pretty decent. I might buy these next order. Thanks for the hugs last night, I sure needed some TLC. I was worn right out.

tinlizzie, I left a basic blueprint of what goes where on the shelves and the boxes of donated books are in the corner over there. Just dive right in. If we happen to show up at the same time we can do it together and catch up while we work. If not, well, it won't be as fun, but the work will get done.

Do you think Bubba could put in a bay window here in the library and make a nice cushy window seat? That view of the lake is so pretty both summer and winter.

OH! I nearly forgot! If there is someone around with muscles (I notice Bubba is still away seeing .40) can they help me unload these two recliners I found at a garage sale. Real leather for $25 each, can you believe it? And already with a perfect butt groove...ahhhhh! These are for the library so we can snuggle down in there with a good book and a cup of whatever.

OK, I'm taking a break from the books. I've left the trailer with the chairs on it on the driveway. I left a pot of potato/bacon/chicken chowder simmering on the stove for lunch. Enjoy. Back later.

V, do you mind handling the scheduling (if necessary) for the book sorting, or do we just do it whenever we have a chance?

A suggestion for the new upper room: how about a retreat, with a single-size bed for cat-naps or when not feeling all that well, or needing some peace and quiet (this is after the construction is finished). Some soft music, cushy pillows. A nice big oval rag rug in the middle of the room, and one of those reversible "do not disturb" signs to hang on the doorknob. Single occupancy only, of course. ;)

i don't know how much more excitement i can handle, tin. a retreat room
sounds lovely, but all i can see is people getting into huge fights over who gets to use it and when....i have this bad feeling about darrell and the bonus room. i think he had his own personal plan for the room, and that he built it
with a purpose in mind. one thing, tin--we do not want any permanent resident in our coffee house... what do you think, tin, is it believable, even with one of the darrell's--that he could build a room totally out of his head by Mistake-- or am i being paranoid again? tell me if i am, please.

the library is coming along nicely, i think, under alix's capable direction, don't you agree? we still have new people signing on to hel, too. so far, the informal work-as-you-can system seems to be adequate for our purposes. if necessary, we can always put a stop to the flow of books coming in at some point. keep from getting buried under our work....:)

we do need to find a better way of protecting the newly shelved books from the continual dust settling in thick layers on every surface. whose car is that black lexus 350 out there, it looks familiar....

mmm, something smells mighty good, somebody is cooking-- i hope it is for
us. i'm starving!

Last edited:
Bubba left a little after lunch today. I think you will be pleased with the news. The brothers D did have a plan after all. It became clear when they put up the rafters this morning.

They extended the roof line about 8' over the walls. The new addition will have a covered porch wrapping around 3 sides of the building on both the upper and lower stories and supported by pillars. I can't wait. Hammocks, tables, swings.

This worked out for the deck too. The deck will run right up to the porch so you never have to walk on the ground to get out to the hot tub. He also told me about the plans to build a pergola over the hot tub so it's always in the shade.

He brought samples of the brick they plan to use later in the project. It's a warm yellow color that will go great with the whitewashed woodwork on the porch. Apparently he found 3 pallets of the stuff on sale.

Oh my goodness .40! That sounds amazing! I'm pouring some homemade bailey's into my coffee to celebrate!

you never cease to amaze us!:) watch out, 40, you and bubba keep this up, you'll have us featured in the spring issue of house beautiful magazine!:) is there a mystery benefactor behind all of this largess?

i'm crazy for the idea of a veranda, 40!! more and more, we're bringing the outdoors in. or is it expanding the indoors to the outdoors?
a pergola (an asian one please?) shading and beautifying the hot tub area is a truly inspired vision....
i'm going to have to pour a little sumpin-sumpin into my coffee mug this fine evening....:)

Last edited:
Orrrr, how about using the upstairs as a space for handiwork, that is, to store our various hand projects -- I'm thinking knitting bag, needlework kit, crochet squares in process, etc. We can go up and retrieve whatever it is we're working on, bring it downstairs, and find a seat. So nice to hear of those additional chairs some energetic soul was kind enough to bring in from the trailer.

Then between sips and chats, spend a bit of time on an enjoyable pastime; upon leaving taking it back upstairs to safely await our next visit.

Crikey. You finish one box of books and another one appears! Maybe we'll have to store some of them upstairs and rotate the selection occasionally.

Considering all the amenities coming along, our little (?) home away from home sounds like a piece of paradise. Aren't we lucky?

Back
Top Bottom