DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gmta, pf? i've brought along a lovely piece of news...i was just visiting one of the vent threads and heard from mrslmb herself that she is about to become a great aunt to her sister's first grandson! how exciting for her! does anyone have a bottle of sumn-sumn with which to toast mrs? i do hope she stops by here. she looks so tickled, too!

Great Minds Think Alike...

I have a nice Santo Moscato d'asti. Two bottles at least.

not 'got mine too, already'? i thought it looked familiar, but couldn't come up with it.
omg, yumm! i had to google your santo moscato--mmm, a sparkly, fruity party wine. with accents of pear, citrus and honey! we can segue from coffee break, straight into happy hour mode when mrs gets here... i see we already have a bottle of sparkling cider in the fridge for our dd's and abstainers....

this place is gonna be a bit hard on dieters, what with all the cookies and nuts that have been showing up here....:)

tinlizzie, I was the one who mentioned the lift bowl and the tilt head on the KA. What do you want to know?

I just finished dinner, but I'm thinking about a cuppa for dessert. Creme Brulee I think.

Sounds like we need to open up that hot tub out back for you. I think pacanis has snowblown all the snow off the patio, lets go. I'll pour you some homemade baileys in your sumatran reserve.

Perhaps but, more importantly, it should be easier to sharpen.

1. -With minimal pressure the knife cuts through 6 layers of cocktail napkin
2. -about 6 for me and 6 for the wife*
3. -over a dozen

*Paring
Bird's Beak
Utility / petty
Cooks
Bread
Slicer
Butcher
Santoku
Heavy cleaver
Boning
Meat saw
Dough
Fillet

that list looks like it could represent thousands of $$$, jpb. what is santoku? are any of your knives wusthofs? how many different brands do you own? if you had to 'pare' your collection down to just four knives, which knives would you and mrs. jpb keep? why do you need more than one or two paring knives? your very favorite knife brand, price being no object....

santoku

Attachments

• 393819.jpg
    393819.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 100
Tully's Breakfast Blend, just a half cup and I can already feel the extra caffiene. It's a light roast. I'll be zipping off to work soon! I'll leave the rest of these almond scones here.

that list looks like it could represent thousands of $$$, jpb. what is santoku? are any of your knives wusthofs? how many different brands do you own? if you had to 'pare' your collection down to just four knives, which knives would you and mrs. jpb keep? why do you need more than one or two paring knives? your very favorite knife brand, price being no object....
Wusthof, Henckels, Anton Wingen, Shun, MAC, Dexter, Dexter-Russell, Russell, Lamson, Chicago Cutlery, Sabatier, Kabar, Godell, and Goldhamster; to name a few :LOL:

Last edited:
Wusthof, Henckels, Anton Wingen, Shun, MAC, Dexter, Dexter-Russell, Russell, Lamson, Chicago Cutlery, Sabatier, Kabar, Godell, and Goldhamster; to name a few :LOL:

the santoku looks like a knife ready to do some serious slicing and dicing, or else, some serious harm.:)

your list of knife brands is impressive, jpb. i've not heard of most of those famous knife makers. i bet you and the missus get a great deal of pleasure from using and sharpening your knives.

i will never have or need a knife collection. i have one hundred dollars to spend one time on one very good knife to make my chopping and slicing life easier. what would you recommend, jpb?

Last edited:
pf's scones--all gone before i could snag one, dang! oh well, that's a bunch of calories i don't have to deal with later. i just hate it when being "good" is the only choice i have, though. i need to find some tasty, low calorie munchies for these coffee breaks. maybe some rye melba type thins. and---stella dora!! are those sweet, light-as-air "cakes" still around? stella dora--wow, that name takes me back, what, thirty years? anyone seen stella in the stores recently--in one of the dietetic aisles? is there such a thing as a low calorie scone, i wonder....

Last edited:
Slicing and chopping are usually done with different knives. With an 8" length and if your willing to wash and dry within a reasonable period after each use, the below linked knife will do both. Because it's high carbon steel, over time it will acquire a dark patina.
Knife, Cook's, Carbon Steel by DEXTER - Knives by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies
For slicing the 10" fo $30 might be better
Cooks Knife by DEXTER - Knives by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies

the cook's knife is a good looking knife. the idea of a darkened patina is appealing to me. i'm intimidated by knives with long, 8-10 inch blades, though. since i broke my good wrist last year, i haven't had my former strength or dexterity in that hand. and i find that it tires easily when i'm handling knives. this circumstance is the main reason that i am now considering the purchase of an expensive, quality knife. .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom