DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Short blueberry story -- Of course, when I visited my brother in Maine, I wanted to bring back a souvenir. I chose a jar of local blueberry jam and was worried about it coming a'cropper in my luggage, so stuck it in my carry-on. No, no, no. The authorities confiscated it -- I guess it did look very dangerous, and so did I. But my brother-to-the-rescue somehow talked them out of it and mailed it to me instead. It was really very good. Especially good.

Wish I had some now -- guess I'll have to make-do with orange marmalade on this blueberry scone. How nice that this batch is still warm. Do we have a microwave as well as a fridge?

about the microwave...i've been waiting with bated breath to see what, if anything, is happening with that. a couple different dc members have made mention of an extra microwave at home, 'doing nothing' that could be brought in, but so far, nothing doing. i still think our best bet is kades. you know, she's the one, come in one morning, accompanied by two burly men with a dolly, rolling a great big shiny kenmore fridge in here. she goes, here's your fridge, all clean and ready to go....:) only thing is, a few people grumbling about not wanting to clean up after messy ones with their microwave spills and stuff....just look how clean and nice this place is being kept--only takes one 'neat freak' for every eight or ten slobs to keep our coffee house clean and tidy like this. i'm just sayin'....well, i guess time will tell, huh....:)

are those blueberry scones still warm? 'fraid i'm not so big on marmalade, myself--all those little bits of bitter orange peel... sure would be good to be able to warm up breakfast pastries and things for our coffee though, don't you know? what about just
getting us a toaster oven, doesn't necessarily have to be a microwave.....

Last edited:
i'm eating like a Kaiser, like a King right now--a brief update on jan's blueberry jam: bb jam rocks! very berry, thick, loaded with sweet berries--sweet, but not too overly sweet. it's my new favorite fruit spread, (even edging out apricot, my forever- favorite to now.) tin, i'm thinking this jar of jam must be a lot like your special mail order bb jam from maine. defies description! worth every penny, too--seven, not nine dollars. just jan's jam is online too, if you get a taste or a hankering for something sweet to eat in blue....:)

Last edited:
Cousin Bubba and his work crew just got here. Mind if they start on the the addition? The city approved the construction permit for the study off the main dining room.

Plans call for deep pile carpeting, walnut wainscoating, and built in bookshelves lining two walls. I'm donating 2 oxblood leather wingback chairs, and a spare humidor.

Sounds nice, can you ask Bubba to see if they can put in a hot tub off the back deck? I think I could use a tub about now. I spent my day in training drinking really BAD coffee. I drank a lot of it though because I was a bit sleepy. Ugh.

I'm ready to try one of those blueberry scones someone keeps mentioning, but I think I'll settle for some coffee with bailey's in it. ;)

about the microwave...i've been waiting with bated breath to see what, if anything, is happening with that. a couple different dc members have made mention of an extra microwave at home, 'doing nothing' that could be brought in, but so far, nothing doing. i still think our best bet is kades. you know, she's the one, come in one morning, accompanied by two burly men with a dolly, rolling a great big shiny kenmore fridge in here. she goes, here's your fridge, all clean and ready to go....:) only thing is, a few people grumbling about not wanting to clean up after messy ones with their microwave spills and stuff....just look how clean and nice this place is being kept--only takes one 'neat freak' for every eight or ten slobs to keep our coffee house clean and tidy like this. i'm just sayin'....well, i guess time will tell, huh....:)

are those blueberry scones still warm? 'fraid i'm not so big on marmalade, myself--all those little bits of bitter orange peel... sure would be good to be able to warm up breakfast pastries and things for our coffee though, don't you know? what about just getting us a toaster oven, doesn't necessarily have to be a microwave.....

If everyone would just clean up after themseves, cleaning no problem. And I opt for the toaster oven. The microwave sometimes has a strange effect on bread products. Blueberry. No other words needed to be added. Although my all time favorite is apple jelly. I can never leave a farm stand without a jar. It has to be a small jar though. Because I eat it right out of the jar. :pig: :angel:

Well, I don't have an extra microwave, but *THUNK* here's a toaster oven we can use. It was Mom and Dad's so it is well used, but I think it will have a good home here. I polished up the chrome and fixed that one loose dial. Should be good to go.

Wow! I went to work and come back and look at this place!!! I better get to some more scone making. I was thinking about hazelnut flour this time with a dark chocolate glaze.

Cousin Bubba and his work crew just got here. Mind if they start on the the addition? The city approved the construction permit for the study off the main dining room.

Plans call for deep pile carpeting, walnut wainscoating, and built in bookshelves lining two walls. I'm donating 2 oxblood leather wingback chairs, and a spare humidor.

:wub::wub::wub::wub:

lordie, have you ever in your life heard of contractors biting at the bit, ready to start work, even before all of the money arrangements have been finalized? all i can think of is, it must be those two magical words: 'cousin' and 'bubba'--either this cousin bubba, he needs work real bad to pay off his xmas credit card charges, or ol' .40's got somethin' on him, know what i mean? either way, i'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, myself. and thank the lord for our dc wizards like .40 who starts the ball rolling, and moves to get things done. just 'get 'er done'. course, you notice how he snuck that humidor in there, trying to slide by with his talk of plush carpeting, built-ins, wainscoting and such? you don't suppose he was merely referring to it as a decorative item....:)

oh lord, if this project is ever completed anything like what .40 is describing, well, i won't ever be wanting to leave this place, know what i'm sayin'? i may never want to go home....:)

Last edited:
thanks for 'thunk', alix--she is a vintage beauty, and just perfect for us! and, look, she toasted my bagel thins like a charm! i've never had a toaster oven myself, but i can see many versatile possibilities and uses for 'thunk' here. i agree that it's a better choice for out coffee room than a microwave....

the latest issue of food and wine, has a brief feature on chemex (the coffee thingy)--and it proposes 206 deg. to be the ideal temp. for brewing coffee--the approximate temp. of boiled water after sitting for one minute....

Hi guys, just got home and whipped up some peppado peppers, stuffed them with strawberry cream cheese and now I taking a tray of cheese/bacon biscuits out of the oven. Please help yourselves to some. I'll be back with some Frittata that I made with onion and arugula,plus parm on top.
Ok see ya later I need some coffee.
ma

I may have failed to mention that cousin Bubba loves BBQ. That's about all it takes to get him interested. I traded a 1947 Ford tractor for the materials.

As far as the humidor goes. Let's just say I had an extra at home after Christmas.

By the way, I threw in an old box-blade with the tractor. Bubba says YES to the deck and hot tub out back.

I'm planting my rear in this leatherchair and not moving until I'm done hibernating...
Do you know that just about everything that hibernates wakes up with a three day hangover?

Might be worth it for a female bear. They go through labour asleep and don't have to look at their babies until they are cute. :ohmy::LOL:

Do you know that just about everything that hibernates wakes up with a three day hangover?

Might be worth it for a female bear. They go through labour asleep and don't have to look at their babies until they are cute. :ohmy::LOL:

And they don't have to shave their legs. Dang, I have to get up to grab another biscuit and tea.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom