Did you ever eat hamin (cholnt)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
this is one satisfying dish

either the ashkenazi version or other versions of "hamin"

Attachments

• photo_2022-02-18_17-48-19.jpg
    photo_2022-02-18_17-48-19.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 49
  • photo_2022-02-18_15-12-01.jpg
    photo_2022-02-18_15-12-01.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 31
I've never had it or even heard of it before today. Sounds like a dish that's different every time.

i've haven't heard of adafina before

it is pretty different by it looks

hamin is cooked for a very long time

maybe you can consider it a variation of it

thanks for showing it i think i will check it now :)

editing..
maybe not so different and just a spanish varaiety

Last edited:
i cooked mine for 24 hours on 100 C....
but before that i cooked for one and a half hours on the stove simmered

i cooked mine for 24 hours on 100 C....
but before that i cooked for one and a half hours on the stove simmered

Do you mind sharing your recipe. This sounds very interesting. I did copy the recipe from the YouTube page with the video. I'm curious about variations and things that I can add that aren't nightshades, like eggplant, potatoes, and tomatoes.

My mom actually made it years and years ago. She kept bragging how it was a traditional dish and how my dad loved it so much. I remember it took all day to cook. After all that time and effort, I was a expecting it to be really good. It wasn't. All that being said, my mom was a terrible cook. Im sure your version is much better than hers.

i don’t like ‘fancy’ hamins
this is mine anyhow.... (this time i didn’t added a special dough that is a nice addition)
unfamiliar foods will very often feel weird at first but don’t give up on interesting foods
about two cups of ordinary dried, long (but not big) dried white beans
about one and a half of medium size dried chickpeas
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
5 medium onions
1.5 tablespoons of minced garlic (i often use the pre-made product)
2 not heaped tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
1/2 teaspoon grounded black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of soda powder ( not a must. but it will make the pulses much softer and easy on digestion imo.. the bubbling effect will not look appealing at first but i like the end result
one cup of strong tea for the browner color (discard the tea bag)
2 not heaped tablespoons of high quality tomato paste (totally optional)
1.5 tablespoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of msg (yes, this is the amount)
about 1.5 teaspoons of regular table salt (not flaky kosher salt, we don’t have flaky salt in ISRAEL) there is a different weight/volume for different salts
4 tiny tablets of a sweetener (i don’t want too much sugar and the taste is unnoticeable when it comes alongside sugar imo)
one kilo of fatty beef intended for braising (medium size chunks) (i will not sear the beef on many occasions)
1.5 cups of dried peeled wheat (washed and drained)
4 “freerange” eggs (boiled separately for 10 minutes)
peeled potatoes if you like (i didn't add)

1. soak pulses in a lot of cold tap water for 12 hours and when making the recipe drain them
  2. chop the onions and saute in a big oven safe pot in oil until semi caramelized, add the garlic and saute just a bit
  3. while onions are sauteing, boil 2 cups of filtered water and mix with the paprika, peppers, tea, salt, sugar, sweetener, soda powder, msg and tomato paste
  4. add to the pot alongside the beef chunks, pulses, wheat, optional potatoes, top with the unpeeled eggs
  5. almost cover with boiling water. bring to a simmer and cook on the stove with the lid on for 1.5 hours without it boiling (just a low simmer), gently mix the bottom from time to time
  6. carefully transfer to an oven on 110 degrees celsius for 12 hours, skim off excess fat with a big spoon (there should be way too much)
  7. then lower to 100 degrees for another 12 hours.
  8. the top of the hamin will look very dark but that it is ok, the inside is not. don’t eat very hot, wait a bit. wating will make it more thick too.
*the meat must be pretty fatty
*don’t forget to check the beans for stones or insects
*the iraqi jews also have a rice based hamin called tbit which is also nice
*check out this recipe for some reference https://youtu.be/nxBo0jqakik

edit..
i forgot to mention adding the pulses along with the rest of the ingredients.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom