Dining Halls. How to rent them.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
This isn't completely off topic but I was wondering how dining halls are typically rented for events? A friend tells me you often need to know someone. I would intend to bring my own food. Just need shelter, maybe a TV, and tables/chairs. Nothing fancy.

Often churches will rent out kitchen and dining space. I think some cities have spaces that can be rented too.

I just remembered, here in Canada, the Royal Canadian Legion local halls sometimes rent out dining space. There are other organizations that have spaces that can be rented too. It's easier to figure out if you have a friend who is a member of one of those churches or organizations. YMCA may rent out space.

Last edited:
VFW halls will often rent spaces.

Be aware though that some church and VFW places may limit or not allow alcohol so ask if you are planning on serving alcohol.

In our area (wisconsin usa) we have parks and those parks often have an enclosed pavilion (park structure, open or closed picnic structures, hall) with a kitchen and dining hall rented to residents and non residents.

Here in the PNW, our club will rent a space for our meetings. Places we use are, Golf Courses, local Dance Studio, Community Centers (private and public, like a City Senior Center or the "Country Club" of a 55+ community), Fraternal Organizations (VFW, Eagles, Elks, American Legion), RV Parks, Parks & Recs...you get the idea. There are usually a lot of choices and you'll want to read their rules and look at what each has to offer. Often, the Fraternal Orgs will have a bar and require any liquor to be purchased thru/from them. Other places might allow you to serve beer/wine, but not sell it.

P.S. When we lived in Los Angeles, our local American Legion would rent out the Meeting Hall and Kitchen. If you were a "younger" crowd, they might require you to hire their preferred Security Officers too.

In our area (wisconsin usa) we have parks and those parks often have an enclosed pavilion (park structure, open or closed picnic structures, hall) with a kitchen and dining hall rented to residents and non residents.
I'm in the mid-Atlantic and have rented Pavilions in parks twice. Both contained electric and BBQ/grills. Both had huge fireplaces. One was pretty well-equipped in the areas of cooking with sinks and such. However, beyond grills, one would need to bring their own stove/induction/hot plates, etc.

Right, @Kathleen -- In a community near us, they have this nice pdf of costs and the facilities. Some have water, some not, some stoves, some freezers, some just tables. https://webtrac.ci.west-bend.wi.us/images/WB Park Rental Facilities Fees.Info.pdf?_csrf_token=6dc308fe14e795e7175578a46b08f6634d067fbfc9f30711babe9a81446bdcca
One of the nice things about Park Rental is that they can be less formal...less expensive...ask attendees to bring their own chair, etc. Make it pot luck, if you like. It is fun to share!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom