Do any of you own a garlic press?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like others here, I managed to break a garlic press and then went out and bought another (one of the old-fashioned kind, not the "screwy" thing). The fact that we replaced our presses just goes to show how much we love them. I'm even convinced garlic tastes better this way, though I've yet to come up with a reason why. More juice and less pulp? No wastage of flavour seeping into the chopping board? Don't know, but I wouldn't be without my garlic press.

Have one in a drawer somewhere. Haven't used it for years, because I got sick of cleaning the thing! Nowadays, if I have to break down the cloves, I bash the clove with the flat of my knife blade, or slice really thinly or 'mash' with a little salt in pestle and mortar, depending on recipe.:)

I don't have a garlic press, but I do have this:
B000173JMS.01-AH41BC3G7NDFM._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V50401683_.jpg

It is called a Garlic Twist. You can use it to bash the clove, so the skin peels of easily, then toss two or three cloves in, put the two pieces together and twist a couple times. Makes a nice paste in just a few seconds, rinses clean under the faucet.

I bought mine at a cooking store, but they sell them at Amazon and other on line places. Just google Garlic Twist.

(I don't get a kickback on this--wish I did, cause I recommend them to everyone who likes garlic.)

Sparrowgrass,

I forgot about this great gadget------does $14-$15 sound like a fair price (that is without shipping and handling which adds about another $5) or did you find it way cheaper at your cooking store? The reason that I ask is that where I live in Houston, if you want to go to a Williams and Sonoma's, for example, it's miles away going through uggh traffic not to mention the price of black gold these days. Otherwise, I'll just order it online. Thanks for letting me be nosy.

I don't own one either... even though I sometimes tend to be a bit of gadget freak, dont see the need. Like others have posted, my chef's knife or Chinese cleaver do the job quite nicely. :)

I'm with the others who say the things are useless. If you've got a good enough blade and some mad chops, you can do it just as easily without one, at a faster pace, with less waste, etc.

expatgirl said:
Sparrowgrass,

I forgot about this great gadget------does $14-$15 sound like a fair price (that is without shipping and handling which adds about another $5) or did you find it way cheaper at your cooking store? The reason that I ask is that where I live in Houston, if you want to go to a Williams and Sonoma's, for example, it's miles away going through uggh traffic not to mention the price of black gold these days. Otherwise, I'll just order it online. Thanks for letting me be nosy.

Expat, as I recall, it was about $13. Amazon has it for $12.95, plus shipping.

I've had 3-4 over the years and they were all crap. In fact, they were so useless that they are probably the only kitchen gadget that I've thrown away after 1-2 uses without a second thought! I can get the texture I want with a chef's knife ... without muh trouble. If I ever get lazier and decide try another one - I think I'll take the advice of the folks at America's Test Kitchen and get a Zyliss. I see them use one just about every week and it does what I thought the ones I bought would do.

I weigh in with those who say it's easier and cleaner to just use a chef's knife. Used to have one, but when we went on the road and had to go minimal I dumped it (actually a local chef came to my yard sale and bought most of the kitchen stuff I was selling ... and some I really wasn't going to sell!).

Now that would make an interesting thread: cooking equipment for people on the road. I was dead proud of a kit I put together. Claire, I'm only a minor assistant. As you have seniority, would you be interested in starting this off?

I have a Pampered Chef one that never gets used. My knife chops just about everything and I only clean up one item instead of various gadgets that only take up space.

Sorry I found this thread so late.

We have owned, and broken, a number of presses and now almost, OK, we never use them.

We have a lot of cooking tools, and we may still have a garlic press lurking about somewhere, but normally either smash or slice them.

Find the my chef knife as fast and faster to clean, but to each his own.

But now I have to ask something.

Remember Paulie finely shaving garlic with a single edge razor blade in the GodFellas movie.

Have never tried it.

Sounds like a bit time consuming, but would love to know if the method works.

I've had several, and found them handy, but they kept breaking, even a good one that I got for a gift.
I now just do the smashing thing with my knife. It's easier to mince like that. And adding salt to the board really works great, if you want a paste.

I also use jarred minced garlic quite a bit. When age does mean things to your body, you learn to use some short-cuts, and once it's heated, I can't tell the difference between fresh garlic and the jarred stuff.

And, I often roast fresh garlic, and work with it that way. It's great for garlic bread.

Now, if it's for a salad dressing or the like, I want fresh garlic. Fresh deserves fresh.

Constance said:
I also use jarred minced garlic quite a bit. When age does mean things to your body, you learn to use some short-cuts, and once it's heated, I can't tell the difference between fresh garlic and the jarred stuff.

Now, if it's for a salad dressing or the like, I want fresh garlic. Fresh deserves fresh.

Couldn't have said it better myself Constance. Me too.

I also use jarred chopped garlic, but to me, it still doesn't seem to have the same great flavor and odor as fresly pressed garlic.

~Corey123.

I find that the flavour of finely chopped garlic, crushed garlic, and garlic from a press is different.

Anybody else found the same?

And I agree: cleaning a garlic press (even with the little knobs that are supposed to push the remnants out) is a pain in the butt.

It does taste different, you're right. I commented on this earlier but no-one picked it up. I wondered if it's because when you use a press, you get all the juice, rather than losing any as it seeps into or across the surface of a chopping board. Anyone else any views? I prefer the flavour of pressed rather than chopped garlic.
To clean my garlic press, I just pick off the big bigs of leftover pulp as soon as I've finished using it and then leave the press to soak in some water, either in the sink or up-ended in a cup of water. All that's required then is to run some very hot water through. No trouble at all.

Garlic

Pressed garlic will be stronger in flavor, because the press basically smashes all the cell walls in a clove of garlic. When garlic is crushed, chopped, minced,or otherwise damaged, alliin reacts with the enzyme allinase, which results in the transformation of alliin into allicin.

Allicin is the stuff we like about garlic, and the more cell walls you breach in garlic preparation, the more of it you get, and the stronger the flavor. So, the larger the pieces of garlic used, the milder the flavor, and the smaller, the stronger. Using a press results in about the smallest "pieces" you are going to get, and so will make your garlic stronger in flavor.

Allicin breaks down pretty quickly if the garlic is heated or not refrigerated, which is why most chefs look down their noses at the pre-minced or crushed jarred varieties you see in the produce aisles at the grocery store. Buying your garlic this way is pretty much the same as buying pre-ground, canned coffee, or pre-ground pepper.

For those of you who don't want to clean a garlic press, you can achieve pretty much the same results with the smooth side of a meat mallet and some plastic wrap.

Just remember that the smaller the pieces, the more susceptible they are to burning with certain cooking methods, like sautéing. Burnt garlic is bad.

Another thing you can do as a "cheat" is, if you have a decent juicer, you can juice whole heads of garlic, (many of them) put the juice in a small spray bottle in the fridge, and use that to hose down any foods you want the flavor of garlic in or on. Cut the woody portion that holds the cloves together off before juicing, and go easy at first when you try it in your cooking. This stuff is really strong. You can also dilute it with water, or put it in extra virgin olive oil. Try using the diluted versions to spray a salad, or a hunk of meat before cooking. Yum!

Strange thread!

Honestly, I can't figure out what you folks are doing to your garlic presses to break them! Do you have particularly hard garlic elsewhere?!

I have a cast aluminum one I've had for years and used very, very often. Unlike some of you, I wouldn't be without it and find nothing about it a hassle. I suspect those of you who swear about cleaning them have let the garlic mush dry on the press, right? If you rinse it right away, there's nothing to it -- use the little pokey device that comes with it, or just force some water backwards through the holes and pick the remnants of the garlic out with a knife (comes out in one piece, easy peasy).

Also, as for the use: kinda depends on what you're DOING with the garlic, doesn't it? If you're throwing it in a stew or somesuch, of course you don't need to crush it, but if you're making tsatziki, for instance, you don't want obvious chunks, you want a paste, and the garlic press is perfect for that.

Tried my wooden mortar and pestle recently (making "skordalia" to go with a nice fried cod ...) and found it was a complete pain: slippery, stringy, and requiring far more work than necessary.

And sitting around mincing one or two little cloves by hand with a knife? Why?!

Back
Top Bottom