Do any of you own a garlic press?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ayrton said:
And sitting around mincing one or two little cloves by hand with a knife? Why?!

For me personally, it's one of the things I really like to do.... working with a good knife is relaxing for me, and since I rarely ever cook for more than 4-6 people, I seldom have to do more than 2 or 3 cloves. Takes all of about 30 seconds to mash, toss out the husk, and chop to the consistency I need for the dish. :chef:

It would take me longer than that just to find a press in my gadget drawer.... :rolleyes:

Fair enough for chopped. Still say there are times when even a tiny mince won't do ... but then again, maybe you're a LOT more energetic with that knife than I can imagine!

In any event, to each his own.

I have a cast iron/enamel coated garlic press that I got at (gasp!) Kmart years ago for very little cost. It is better than the more expensive ones that broke after a couple of uses. I just forget I have it sometimes. It isn't hard to clean at all if you rinse right after using it and keep an old toothbrush handy to get the pieces that don't wash out.

urmaniac13 said:
649248-elec_lg-resized200.jpg

Ive got one like this, just got it a couple of weeks ago so i havent used it much, but its good so far.

If I want a paste, I use my marble mortar and pestle, and I sprinkle the cloves with salt before I start. The more salt, the easier it is to mush the garlic into a paste.

Just waiting for those tomatoes to ripen--garlic mashed with lots of salt, chunked tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil and some cider vinegar--heaven.

Then with this procedure, I would imagine that the salt used in the mashing of the garlic cloves would be deducted from the actual recipe to avoid using too much salt.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
Then with this procedure, I would imagine that the salt used in the mashing of the garlic cloves would be deducted from the actual recipe to avoid using too much salt.

~Corey123.

You use Kosher salt and it really doesn't take that much. The salt just acts as an abrasive to help grind up the garlic. I've never found that I had any dish too salty from doing this.

Robo410 said:
used to ...now just use a knife...faster and less bitter

Robo, there's no need to be bitter over using a knife for your garlic instead of a press. It is what it is...

There's a Spanish grocery store near me that sells bunches of refrigerated garlic gloves already peeled and in small little bags.

This is great, and it eliminates the fuss and bother of having to peel them! I just put them one by one in the garlic press, and voila!!, the garlic is mashed and half the work is done!!! Saves time!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
we have two, but only use the good one... I prefer the fresh garlic, but Frank always uses the oil-marinated gloves....

I have a garlic press and do use it occasionally. It seems to waste some of the garlic though I think. Since I always have to prize a big piece out that's stuck in the press. So most of the time I just use a knife.

There's kind of like another thin covering on the peeled garlic clove that actually won't go through the holes in the press the first time around.

This rather little thin layer of skin gets left behind in the press. If you try to redo it, it usually goes though, since the force of the press squeezes it through the holes again.

Other than that, it can be thrown away if you don't want to be bothered with it.

~Corey123.

My garlic press is my chef's knife.
Cut off the little stemmy tip and whack it once, very hard, with the side of the blade.
Paper skin comes right off and not much mincing left to do.
~mouse

The Mini Bowl that's in my new K'Aid Pearl Metallic Food processor can also be used to chop or mince garlic.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
never ever use it

I have one, a very good, sturdy one. I never use it, though. It's too time consuming to clean the thing. It's much easire for me to simply chop chop chop. If I need lots, I just use the processor.

Back
Top Bottom