Do any of you own a garlic press?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In any case, garlic, whichever way that it's processed, has to be added near the END of the sauteing or frying time to avoid burning it and tuning it bitter.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
In any case, garlic, whichever way that it's processed, has to be added near the END of the sauteing or frying time to avoid burning it and tuning it bitter.

~Corey123.
I respectfully disagree. I add my garlic at the begining of my saute and almost never have a problem. You just need to make sure to add other ingredients shortly after adding the garlic.

Some recipes will suggest that you do the garlic first in the hot oil, let it brown lightly, then you must remove it from the pan to avoid burning it.

And yes, trust me, garlic WILL burn if left in the hot grease or oil too long, especially with just onions. Emeril lagasse has stated this as well as several other celebrity chefs.

And it has happened to me over the years. Once it happens, there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it except throw the burned garlic out and start all over again.

~Corey123.

I have made sautes many times Corey without removing the garlic that I added first thing. There are ways to do it without burning the garlic. You need to add other things to the pan to draw the heat away from the garlic.

Not everything that celebrities say is always gold.

I've had first-hand experience with garlic burning.

No, not everything they say is gold, but they aren't lying about that.

And the garlic also won't burn when you're "sweating" veggies like onions, green pepper and celery for something like stuffing. The moisture in the veggies help prevent that from happening.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
I've had first-hand experience with garlic burning.
As have I, but I also have first hand experience with it NOT burning. There is more than one way to do most things right.

After being so sick and tired of ending up with burned garlic myself, I decided that there wasn't going to be any more of it either.

Which is why I've been so careful not to let that happen again.

~Corey123.

GB said:
I respectfully disagree. I add my garlic at the begining of my saute and almost never have a problem. You just need to make sure to add other ingredients shortly after adding the garlic.

Agreed, GB. The trick is to have other ingredients ready when the garlic is at the right point. The addition of new stuff lowers the temp on the garlic and then dilutes the mixture so the garlic doesn't burn.

You will definitely end up with a slightly different flavor depending on when the garlic is added. I too like to add the garlic early so that it infuses the oil that the other ingredients are cooked in, even if the continuation means that it has to be removed for a while to cook some of the other items properly. But I find that with most recipes it isn't necessary to remove it. On the rare occasion that I overcook the garlic, I'm early enough in the process that it doesn't take that long to start over.... :wacko::LOL:

I love my garlic press but reading all of these posts I'm wondering if I should rethink using a press. It's a nice one my daughter bought for me.

I don't like have garlic all over my hands. When I mince garlic most of it remains on the side of the knife and I have to keep scraping it off. I've tried adding kosher salt and that does help.

I find it easy to clean a press - just pull out the garlic skin with the tip of a knife. Also I like the speed of a press.

I have, but it`s never used, it`s way too fiddly to wash and get it All out.
I`ll stick to doing garlic manualy :)

I always use mine. I no longer take a knife to a garlic clove. I will either squeeze it through the garlic press, or give it the patented Martin Yan SMACK with my Chinese cleaver.

Gent88 said:
Bought one "many years ago"?! I Invented it may be 5 years ago. The first production unit came out only 3 years ago. All our first year sales were in the Sacramento area where people had a chance to watch my demonstration and love it. (As a result now there is one unit being used by a happy home chef in every 100 homes in the Sacramento area.)............................................................................................
Or is it a SEVERE case of different strokes for different folks?

Hey, Gent88, I have one of your twisters. I like it very much and I understand what you are saying.:clap: Thank you.

Corey says And yes, trust me, garlic WILL burn if left in the hot grease or oil too long, especially with just onions. Emeril lagasse has stated this as well as several other celebrity chefs.

And it has happened to me over the years. Once it happens, there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it except throw the burned garlic out and start all over again.

Of course. Anything is possible if you leave it too long or don't watch it. It is not a reason to "add only at the end of cooking to keep from burning".
I add it to infuse the oil and hence the ingredient with the garlic. And add more for the next ingredient, if needed.

I love to use my microplane for garlic if needed to be very fine. And I have put this fluff in hot oil without it burning.

A garlic press is one of those stocking stuffers (gadgets) that people buy or give because they like to have all kinds of labor saving devices. I am old school and would much rather use a 10 inch Chefs knife to do all of the work. A big plus is the cleanup is almost nothing compared to cleaning out all the small holes on a press.
Chef Mark

No, i dont have one
I just chop with a knife or use the hand blender, to process the garlic, depending on what i want to use it for.

Mel

I have a new jar opener and it works great for opening jars of garlic. I finally decided to try this style garlic due to the stale garlic pods available. The flavor is intense, the way it is supposed to be. Garlic powder is good for lightly seasoned things. I've been known to bang a few fresh garlic pods with a cloth covered hammer head.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom