Do you enjoy drinking unsweetened hot black tea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. I drink either green or oolong, straight. No sweetener and no whitener, and I use loose tea. If I use a tea bag, I can taste the paper.

I like green tea straight, but with black tea I use honey and cinnamon. I generally just drink green tea of late, followed by a cup of strong coffee with cream and sugar.

I used to drink tea on occasion. Went thru various stages of types that I liked. English Breakfast, Oolong, Black Tea. But then realized why I was getting tummy aches from the tannins, Iguess. Green tea was the worst (for me). So I don't drink tea anymore!
Never cared for herbal teas either. Would rather just drink hot water.

But I do like my coffee,.

I used to drink tea on occasion. Went thru various stages of types that I liked. English Breakfast, Oolong, Black Tea. But then realized why I was getting tummy aches from the tannins, Iguess. Green tea was the worst (for me). So I don't drink tea anymore!
Never cared for herbal teas either. Would rather just drink hot water.

But I do like my coffee,.
I didn't even think about tea tannins. I usually associate tannins with wine. I googled it and usually it's 3+ cups that have an effect, but there are hypersensitive individuals like yourself, apparently. I'll stick with my 1 cup to be on the safe side.

I like milk in black tea, but I like it black if it is cold. Yes, I'm weird. If there is cold tea left, I will often pour myself a cup. If it's green tea, I drink it neat. If it's herbal tea, I usually drink it plain. It has been a long time since I have put honey in herbal tea. Hmm, I used to like a bit of honey in my coffee if I didn't have any milk or cream.

I like milk in black tea, but I like it black if it is cold. Yes, I'm weird. If there is cold tea left, I will often pour myself a cup. If it's green tea, I drink it neat. If it's herbal tea, I usually drink it plain. It has been a long time since I have put honey in herbal tea. Hmm, I used to like a bit of honey in my coffee if I didn't have any milk or cream.
I think not weird.

I can't drink red wine either, at least not aged. Nor any commercial wines - too many sulfites. My own wines have minimum.

I never seem to have a problem with Iced Tea. Weird, eh? That I used to drink copious amounts during the summers. Especially Lipton's. Sooo much sugar. But in the States it is generally served without sugar (or at least they ask) and I loved that!
I do think now that if I were to start drinking it again I would probably sweeten it.

" Cast iron teapot can improve the water quality by releasing iron ions and absorbing chloride ions in water."
"The fully enameled interior helps preserve the taste of...."

the above is copied from their description of the teapot.. not sure it makes sense. Am I wrong?

That being said - it is a gorgeous teapot available in 3 sizes and a 4th in what they call a pagoda style. I'd also get the trivet as that pot will be hot. Great for keeping the tea warm.
If I drank tea.... and had the space....

I've always been a tea drinker, but I'm not fond of unsweetened black. Oolong is my favorite to drink hot, but with a little sweet, often a mild honey. Darjeeling is a black tea I could drink hot, since it isn't as bitter, but I still sweeten it a little.

I drink iced tea year round! Cheap tea bags, but mixed with some Thai tea, or flavored with fresh spearmint, when that's growing, or some of that chai masala powder I make. All this is sweetened, but only a little, and I figure it's better (and cheaper) than drinking soda! I make up almost a gallon pitcher of tea every day.

And something I almost forgot - a cheap teabag I get at DG, simply "tagless teabag", is actually a cheap oolong tea, not the usual black tea in tea bags. The first time I used that, many years ago, I realized this, by the flavor and color. I broke one of the bags open, and could tell by looking at it, that it was oolong. I often got cheap boxes of oolong at the Asian markets, and some were not even as good as this, and often, of course, the brand would be gone in a couple of years!

Last edited:
" Cast iron teapot can improve the water quality by releasing iron ions and absorbing chloride ions in water."
"The fully enameled interior helps preserve the taste of...."

the above is copied from their description of the teapot.. not sure it makes sense. Am I wrong?
No, you're correct. If it has a stainless steel lining, I don't see how "iron ions" make contact with the liquid. Same with chloride ions. It doesn't make sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom