Do you overeat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not really...anymore. Over the last several years I have avoided the uncomfortable, stuffed feeling I would get after overeating. The closest I ever come anymore to overeating is at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. However, I don't really overeat then either. I have learned to take smaller portions of all the yummies. Even as tempting as it is when we go to our favorite all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, I don't overeat there anymore either. Guess it proves that you can teach an old dog new tricks.;)

Katie E said:
Not really...anymore. Over the last several years I have avoided the uncomfortable, stuffed feeling I would get after overeating. The closest I ever come anymore to overeating is at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. However, I don't really overeat then either. I have learned to take smaller portions of all the yummies. Even as tempting as it is when we go to our favorite all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, I don't overeat there anymore either. Guess it proves that you can teach an old dog new tricks.;)

How small is small? :ermm: I take small portions but I do like to try a little bit of everything. That's where I get into trouble! I heard (was it here :unsure: ) that the first three bites are what tastes the best. I find that true. I Use that as a guide for avergae meals, but when there is a big variety even one of everything is too much. Now, I'm admittedly not the most decisive person, so this makes buffets, dimsum and choosing what to leave on the Christmas saide dishes very very hard, almost odd apearing.

I did it today! We went to a wedding that was 2 hrs away.
The morning got away from us and it was a race to get there on time. Finally all the pics were over and we got to the reception at 3pm and I was starving.

They asked me to get the buffet started....and I did! :LOL: I overfilled my plate to the point that Mr HB was making fun of me but I finished it. :pig: We aren't big eaters but I did my share of damage today.

I overeat. I think my problem is that I love food. I love the taste of all sorts of food. I don't continue eating because I don't feel full. I just love to taste the flavors. If you could just spray the flavor into my mouth I would not need to overeat.

I've quit eating until I am stuffed. I feel terrible for hours after that, and I've read that that's when a lot of people have heart attacks. In fact, my uncle had a heart attack last year after having a Philly cheese steak sandwich for supper. (He's OK now.)
I'm also not a snacker, unless I'm actually hungry, and I seldom drink sodas.

On the other hand, I'm a big, strong, German farm girl (5'8"), and have a hearty appetite when I'm feeling well. Six days a week, all I have for breakfast is a small carton of yogurt. But on Sunday, when DH makes brunch, I eat 2-3 fried eggs on one piece of toast, 3 pieces of bacon, and another piece of toast with jelly, plus a pint of skim milk.
Of course, I've gotta have my beer. I have switched to Miller Lite, because it's the lowest in carbs. Good beer, too.

Last edited:
I stopped stuffing myself about 4 months ago and i'v lost 56 lbs and I feel alot better not always being the one that killed the buffet

I overeat when, because of a lack of time, industry, or opportunity, I've gone too long between meals and then eat way too much of one thing. If I prepare a well balanced meal with whole grains, beans, fruit, veggies, and a little meat and dairy, there are plenty of leftovers and I feel great.

It's when I come home starved and quickly throw together a half pound of pasta with an easy cheese sauce that I really get into trouble.

I was watching a show and they said that it takes you about 20 minutes to feel full. so if you eat rather slowly and really taste the food, you won't be tempeted to get up and go for seconds.

SurvivorGirl said:
I was watching a show and they said that it takes you about 20 minutes to feel full. so if you eat rather slowly and really taste the food, you won't be tempeted to get up and go for seconds.

Yep, this is me, I eat slowly and definately get full within twenty to thirty minutes. I eat small portions, several times a day and it works for me. If I over eat my stomach gets bloated, I feel heavy, and lack the motivation to move about and exercise. So, in answer to your question Redkitty, no I do not over eat.

Dove said:
When I eat I never feel full..wonder if that is id a diabetic problem../

Not sure if it's a diabetic problem marge. I wonder what it means when I get full on small amounts of food?:neutral: Someone help me and Marge!:)

I eat 'ideally', six days a week; counting every calorie, and every gram of protein (something which becomes automatic pretty quickly), drinking only water. Whole foods mostly; and throughout the day, so there is no lack eating. Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, cottage cheese..... One day a week is mine - all mine. Soda, licorce jelly beans, cashews, sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil.....anything and everything:)) This is combined with a modest excercise program of walking, stretching, and swimming - three sessions of each a week. So far, no problem keeping off the 47 pounds that I lost. The only downside was that I ate 'ideally' seven days a week during the weight loss period, which was ok, I ate just fine, even with the calorie limit, but I did look forward to when the splurge day could be added. It was only a few months.

I tend to overeat more times than I care to admit, which has landed me seriously overweight now. I'm now watching what I eat (in the terms of now doing portion controls - or trying to:rolleyes: ), and am now eating until I'm pleasantly/comfortably full instead of the stuffed/miserable feeling I get when I realized I've over-eaten yet once again. What I don't eat, if I'm at a restaurant, I take home in a take-home box and have again for breakfast the next day (or take to work for dinner that night if I have to work that night). I'm now finding that my jeans are riding looser and I'm starting to exercise (me- the original "I'm allergic to exercise" girl) by walking at a walk park, and I'm starting to use stairs when I can.

But, yeah, getting stuffed is not a pleasant sensation at all.

amber said:
Not sure if it's a diabetic problem marge. I wonder what it means when I get full on small amounts of food?:neutral: Someone help me and Marge!:)
Not sure about you Amber, but I get full on small amounts too. Marge that empty, crawl in the refrigerator and eat everything feeling has happened to me..It comes when my blood glucose drops below normal range of 70...I will also get shakey, sweaty, irritable and forgetfull numb lips...At the first sign of being cranky and wanting to eat..I test myself..You can't let your glucose get down much lower Marge or you can be in trouble...I'd ask my doc, but also some diabetes meds will cause a drop in glucose if you DO NOT eat when you take them..That is dangerous..If you plan not to eat, don't take them.

kadesma

Not as much as I used to. That M-word has killed my sense of smell, so I'm simply not tempted as much as when I was younger. I still like my booze, though, so still consume too many calories. And the one thing that really still tastes and smells good to me is blue cheeses. But mostly I'm cooking to meet my diabetic husband's needs rather than just cooking what tastes good to me, so we're eating overall less.

I have an obese husband and come from a family of obese members and have quite a few friends who are morbidly obese, and I look at them and say, No Way, do I want to go through what they must go through on a daily basis.

I hope that I broke the cycle in my family. I am not skinny minny. I stop when I am full, and put food back in the serving dish, or just throw it out if I cannot put it back.

Thee only time I do over eat is on Christmas when my Cuban mother-in-law makes her traditional holiday dishes: Marinated pork, black beans, yucca, plantains and Cuban bread. Yummo!

I do

If I have fresh baked bread with garlic and pepper olive oil for dipping, good cheese and a decent red wine. I try not to bake bread often. The smell seems to be what triggers it. I really do hate that over-full feeling.

I have benn eating small amounts throughout the entire day for so long now that my stomach has shrunk, so my eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach. Going to a buffet would be a total waste of money for me. I would never hear "YOU GO NOW! YOU HERE FOUR HOUR!"

I for sure over eat, don't know how to stop. By the time I get home I am tired and very hungry, so it's eat and go to bed. Bad combination.

I am a stess eater. The past two years have been particularly difficult, so I've packed on 30 pounds in that time. I'm a stay-home mom so I have time to eat all day. Fortunately, I finally figured out what my "triggers" are and am now on my way to losing the extra weight and getting back to normal portions again.

Congrats to all you guys who have lost weight and who stop eating when your satisfied!

My DH is in the same boat. I've noticed however, that since I stopped serving dinner "family style", and started putting dinner on the plates and then bringing the plates to the table, that our portions have really been cut in half! No more spooning extra servings of dinner, when I make up our plates, I just put the leftovers in the fridge right away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom