Do you scrub your vegetable stock scraps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When making a veggie stock, always wash the veggies prior. If they need to be peeled I will, but for stock purposes, a good rinse usually does the trick. After Im done boiling them, the veggies wind up in the compost, as I have gotten everything I need out of them. Sometimes I'll throw Onions in with their peels to give larger flavor, stems of herbs and veggies I often would just compost if I weren't making a stock. So ultimately, the boiled veggies get strained and tossed ( compost, used to feed to the chickens when I had them).

I personally am not crazy about throw together stocks, because there is no consistency so when using in a recipe, you'll have a different end product each time ( a heavily based mushroom stock will give off different flavors than one with more onions or cabbage like veggies ...). Ive followed stock recipes for more consistency, but haven't been to crazy about them, as they often include herbs that over power the stock.

I dont like throwing anything out that has potential use or nutritional value, so after cleaning out the produce drawer, I'll often make a stock to use for a throw together veggie soup or something like that. When I boil mushrooms prior to marinating them, you get a great mushroom stock which I'll use for a mushroom barley soup, or maybe as a base for a gravy.

Having a garden, I also usually have a lot of things that may wind up in a stock instead of just throwing on the compost pile ( even though they will ultimately get there anyway). Stems from chard, crappy little carrots that aren't work peeling, celery leaves, outer leaves from cabbage-like veggies ...

If Im making a soup solely ( I had no idea this is how you spelled this word until it kept correcting me just now) out of the stock, after draining it, and saving the liquid, I'll then add fresh, peeled veggies and cook them to the desired consistency.

Quick and simple answer:
Yes I scrub and wash, only peel if necessary, will cut off ends of carrots or other exposed ends of veggies that have been cut prior.

as far as an inferior product, as long as dirt, pesticides and whatever else may be on there is cleaned off ( whether by scrubbing, peeling or both), and there is no sandy grit in the stock, If the end product tastes good and works in the recipes you are using it for , thats all that matters.

I use a veg stock rarely and basically use them exclusively for vegetarian or vegan dishes and always have some in the freezers. I do add veg for my stocks that are animal based and at this time I have beef, lamb, chicken, partridge, seafood, rabbit and venison stock in the freezers for sauce making mostly.

Saying that we always wash all veg and if a scrubbing is needed we'll do that as well and most of that has to do with where the veg is coming from. From the local supermarket or supplier they're usually pretty clean and just need to have a bath and a close look to remove any dirt. If it's my farmers showing up at the back door, then that's a different ballgame, which is basically from late May to Nov. but certain veg I get year round locally like potatoes, carrots and Jerusalem artichokes. Most are organic and most of the time they're not very well cleaned and some veg like potatoes for example need a good thrashing to remove all the dirt. Anyway the basic philosophy for most chefs is pretty simple, clean and fresh works.

I use a veg stock rarely and basically use them exclusively for vegetarian or vegan dishes and always have some in the freezers. I do add veg for my stocks that are animal based and at this time I have beef, lamb, chicken, partridge, seafood, rabbit and venison stock in the freezers for sauce making mostly.

Saying that we always wash all veg and if a scrubbing is needed we'll do that as well and most of that has to do with where the veg is coming from. From the local supermarket or supplier they're usually pretty clean and just need to have a bath and a close look to remove any dirt. If it's my farmers showing up at the back door, then that's a different ballgame, which is basically from late May to Nov. but certain veg I get year round locally like potatoes, carrots and Jerusalem artichokes. Most are organic and most of the time they're not very well cleaned and some veg like potatoes for example need a good thrashing to remove all the dirt. Anyway the basic philosophy for most chefs is pretty simple, clean and fresh works.

Yeah, I never make a veggie stock. But, I do use aromatic veggies in my meat stocks, on the rare occasion that I make them from scratch.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom