Does anyone remember "Red's Tamales?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember when Raskin-Robbins had the best ice cream. I coulldn't wait for summer and peach ice cream. I haven't found anything like that in 40 years.
remember when the ice cream shoppes opened on memorial day and closed on labor day? i love that they are open year round now.

i used to love carvel's pumpkin and egg nog ice cream's in the fall/winter.

my fav is coffee ice cream w/chocolate sprinkles (jimmies) in a sugar cone

:-p:-p Oh yes! Red's tamales were great. We could get them when I lived in Modesto about 20 years ago, but I haven't seen them since.

My grandmother used to make a wonderful "luncheon dish" for her craft circle that was the Hormel canned tamales removed from their paper and cut in thirds, mixed with a can of golden hominy and a can of cream of chicken soup. She'd put it all in a casserole and top with some grated cheese and bake until bubbly. Darn that was good. I'll still make it on one of those nights when we need comfort food.

I'm coming in to this discussion late, but I'd sure like to know if anyone has come up with a recipe for Red's Tamales! And as far as Casper's Hot Dogs go - they are the best! A really good Casper's is on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill. One lady there has been pumping out Casper dogs for over 50 years. As a kid in Richmond - when it was Richmond, before redevelopment - the Doggie Diner stand-up counter on 23rd and Macdonald served the BEST Pastrami sandwiches in the world. All gone now along with Gordon's drive in. Life wasn't quite as "tricky" then plus it was considerably less hectic and violent in our area ... I mean, I'm just saying.

"Tangy ...but never incendiary!"

OH how fun! I am always coming out with Red's Tamales radio commercial. The add would start with "Tuesday is Red's Tamale Day" Then at the end a Mexican accented voice would say: "Tangy but never incendiary!" This comes out whenever we are cooking mexican food!
I grew up in Sacramento until about the 70's. It was a great trip down memory lane. I found this place by Googling Red's Tamales.
Hope you can come up with a recipe!

remember when the ice cream shoppes opened on memorial day and closed on labor day? i love that they are open year round now.

i used to love carvel's pumpkin and egg nog ice cream's in the fall/winter.

my fav is coffee ice cream w/chocolate sprinkles (jimmies) in a sugar cone

Apologies for continuing this off-topic conversation, but many years ago when I still lived in LI, NY, hubby & I were making one of our many pilgrimages out to the east end of LI to hit all the farm stands with their fabulous fresh produce. We stopped by a Carvel store for some ice cream, & were puzzled by numerous large blobs of orange "something" strewed all over the parking lot. Needless to say, without realizing, I ordered a "pumpkin" ice cream cone, & after one taste realized what all those orange-colored blobs in the parking lot were :LOL:.

No offense to those who like it, but apparently it's a very acquired taste - lol!!

Reds, and the similar XLNT tamales were my ultimate comfort food growing up near Bakersfield in the 50's. XLNT are still available in Southern California and parts of Northern and Nevada, and I always bring some back to Minnesota when I am in California. When I checked at their web site, they will be shipping to the rest of the country before Christmas 2010.

Probably like my other favorite from home, linguica, it will be available for a price that makes it for special occasions only.

I grew up on Red's Hot Tamales in the Bay Area in California. I've been trying to find out about them for years. I would also like a recipe for them. They might have been practically meatless, but they were the best tasting Tamales. No other Tamales have ever come close. I've looked for recipes, I remember the taste, but I have never been able to duplicate it.

Tuesday is Red's Tamale day...

OH how fun! I am always coming out with Red's Tamales radio commercial. The add would start with "Tuesday is Red's Tamale Day" Then at the end a Mexican accented voice would say: "Tangy but never incendiary!" This comes out whenever we are cooking mexican food!
I grew up in Sacramento until about the 70's. It was a great trip down memory lane. I found this place by Googling Red's Tamales.
Hope you can come up with a recipe!

That voice was none other than the late Mel Blanc...

Last edited:
img_1131465_0_95845fa5b3b7bf7d27399e5353891be9.jpg

img_1131468_0_fd53309cb3a74e8e1d058a97f25b26eb.jpg

There is a "tribute" webby site for DD (google it)

I can't count how many DD hot dogs I ate during my youth (so long ago)...

San Lorenzo at Hesperian & Llewelling...mostly middle class suburbanites

Hayweird on Mission & B...cowboys and hell's angels

Oakland at Latham Sq (Broadway & Telegiraffe) office workers and bus riders (it was a major AC Transit transfer point)

Would I like them now...???

Maybe...

Maybe not...

Yet it was such a recognisable icon (the dog head) ... and I can't help but wonder IF the artist that created the heads was infulenced by famous cartoonist Ub Iwerks...it's almost a direct copy of Ub's signature eyes, nose, mouth, and general style...

There are 3 of the dog heads mounted on a trailer...as I understand it they live either in Emeryville or over on Treasure Island....and they're sometimes taken out on road trips...They's shown up in Noo Yawk Citee, Washington DC, and Burning Man...

My husband grew up buying his tamales from an old African-American man who sold them from a wagon in some park in Chicago. He was in his teens before he realized that tamales were not "soul" food, but actually Mexican!

Somebody mentioned Caspers...I don't remember one on Broadway (Oakland) but DO remember one on Telegraph near Adeline...

Fosters Freeze...I just had a large vanilla shake last night at Fosters in Lucerne (norther Clearlake, Lake County)...there's also one in Lower Lake. Santa Rosa has 3: outer 4th St, Santa Rosa Ave (near Target) and Sebastopol Ave east of Stony Point...

We used to go to the in one in Hayward (north of downtown on Mission Blvd, and get 2 quarts of soft serve to go...after picking up 2 quats of ravioloi from Banchero's 2 blocks away...a great combination dinner / dessert when we had company over, or just wanted to satisfy our tastebuds...

Huell Howser featured Fosters Freeze on his TV show "California's Gold" (PBS)...the HQ is in southern Cal...

Has anybody hear eaten at TOP DOG (Berkeley)...??? They're still in business...

My husband grew up buying his tamales from an old African-American man who sold them from a wagon in some park in Chicago. He was in his teens before he realized that tamales were not "soul" food, but actually Mexican!

Really...!!!

Heh heh

I'm spoiled in that I'm a native and consider Reno, NV to be "back east"...And it was a coplete shock for me to discover that other parts of the country don't have the foods I was raised on here...

Mexican, Italian, Crab, and Tri-Tip are king out here...

But there's food y'all have back east that are still a mystery to me...

Back to my thoughts: I remember the ads for Red's more than I do for the tamales themselves. We ate them, and didn't get sick (!!!), which is not very much criteria but that's the way it goes...

Another radio ad we heard a lot on the SF Bay Area radio stations (KNBR & KCBS) "way back when" (1970) was Yammy Yogurt...and even though I was in college at the time, I had no idea what the hell this yogurt stuff was...

I agree the Garibaldi (sp?) tamales are the closest you'll get to a Red's...Red's were smaller and we got them in 6-packs...Garibaldi's tamales are larger...

I once worked at a place where a guys wife wouild make and sell REAL tamales...he'd take your lunch order the day before, and the next day you'd be eating the wonderful tamales muy authentico...his wife was Mexican, and was an expert that turned it into a quasi sideline. Genuine corn husk, about 1" in diameter, con salsa rojas...at $2 each, they sold over 2 dozen each day. The meat in the filler was typically pork...

Last edited:
Seeing how this thread is so SF Bay Area oriented, and somebody mentioned Ferrels Ice Cream...has anybody here eaten at Fenten's (sp?) Ice Cream...???

Northern Oakland, half way between CCAC & UCB...I think it's on Clairmont, a few block south of the Elmwood Theater...

Yummy...still in business...hand made Ice Cream...

Last edited:
How to Duplicate a Red's Tamale

I, too, remember Red's Tamales and have been experiencing unnatural cravings for them these past few weeks.

Some guidelines to recreate their flavor:

The filling must contain more beans than meat.

(Let's face it, these were not a premium product and, therefore, beans were a more likely ingredient than something so prohibitively expensive as 50% fat ground "beef".)

To get the original flavor, whatever filling you use must have a good dose of yellow corn flour (masa) incorporated into it.

It will probably help to use a very ordinary grade of chili powder. No high falutin' spices, eh?

(Remember, Alice Waters was still wearing short pants back then.)

Starting with a twice-ground batch of hamburger will probably help.

(Use the finest plate on your Kitchen-Aid meat grinding attachment and, if anything, run some raw onion through it mashed into the ground beef.)

Cook up some pintos or use Ranch Style (in the black can) beans. If you use the Ranch Style beans, make sure to cut back on the chili powder.

(The secret to Ranch Style beans is a boat load of paprika, some sugar and a skosh of vinegar along with ordinary chili powder plus extra garlic and onion powder.)

Once you have the bean and meat mixture thickened with the yellow corn masa, use a stick (immersion) blender to whale the daylights out of it.

(Remember, Red's Tamales were most likely manufactured using an old, re-purposed retread tire extrusion molding press.)

Buy some hoyas (corn husks) and a pound of pre-mixed tamale masa at your local mercado.

(Now is definitely NOT the time to get all fancy pants and original with this recipe.)

Pre-soak the hoyas and let the filling assume room temperature.

(For the most authentic flavor, overload the filling with salt until your pacemaker starts doing backflips.)

If you aren't quite able to get the flavor just right, go ahead and make some lunch with a can of those gawd-awful Hormel™ canned tamales. Then use the leftover liquid to season your weak-in-the-knees tamale filling. Hell, go ahead and just blend up the entire can and you'll prolly get a lot closer to the original flavor than this train wreck of a recipe!

(If anything, let the filling marry up overnight in your refrigerator. However, just make sure to clear out anything you value, like outdated Mayo or wilted lettuce before parking this glow-in-the-dark mystery muck in there.)

To assemble, overlap two or three pre-soaked hoyas and, using your fingers, gently spread a few tablespoons of masa out to about a 6" x 8" rectangle (or slightly larger).

(If you really want to go for the full monty, use a tortilla press to smash flat the masa so your dough will get that nostalgic shoe-leather consistency.)

Now, roll up the sucker like a Jamaican spliff and try to make sure nothing leaks out around the edges. This stuff'll take the finish off of your Corian
[FONT=&quot]™ counter top, ya hear?

(Anyone who gets all frou frou and ties up their tamales with a strand of corn husk gets to stand in the corner. Capisce?)

Place a vegetable steamer in the bottom of a large kettle and layer in the wrapped "tamales". Add some cold water and begin the steaming process.

(When cockroaches scatter and the neighborhood alley cats gather under your kitchen window and begin yowling like it's the end of the world as we know it, your batch of "tamales" is about ready.)

For the best flavor, serve on a laminated three pocket cafeteria tray with plastic utensils and have someone steal a couple of quarters from you before sitting down.

(No applause, just throw money.)

Disclaimer: The previous document contains forward looking statements that in no way should be confused with an actual recipe or construed as describing anything that is remotely edible, much less incapable of causing debilitating food poisoning. Any attempts to recover damages (physical or mental), hospitalization costs or medical fees will be met with derisive, hysterical laughter and result in you being taunted a second time.

[/FONT]

Reds Tamales

Went to a drive in last night at the second oldest one in the US, Strausburg, Oh. Really miss the Reds when I do. Loved them at the drive in in Calif along with the large dill pickles. (none here at drive ins) When I went back to Sacramento (for high school reunions) looked for both Reds Tamales and Safeway fruited cottage cheese. Neither one is being made any longer. The cottage cheese is a new subtraction from the food being made. I did buy it for many years when I went back. Farrels sort of died out after the one in Sacramento was hit by the Holiday Magic airplane on a Sat morning after the place was full of little leagers. Many died and sent the chain into a downward spiral with a bad end. We had a Fosters Freeze in Carmichael but the last time I was there it was gone. Before moving from Sacramento in the 80's, Reds were in grocery stores in the frozen food section. Sorry to see they are no longer being made. And, whenever we go to Sacramento, try to bring a suitcase full of Columbo's extra sour bread home with us for the freezer. I know Hostess is out of business, but I hope Columbo's is still being baked. Don't know when I can pick up another load of it for my freezer.

Red's Tamales/Fenton's

I found a list of ingredients used in the making of Red's Tamales, so if any of you are industrious to try recreating it, go for it.

Corn
Trace of Lime
Black Beans
Monterey Jack Cheese
Milk
Olives
Tomato Puree
Onions
Safflower and/or Sunflower Oil
Sea Salt
Garlic
Cilantro
Spices (probably pepper, cumin, chile powder and any other Mexican type spice)

Fenton's Creamery just celebrated its 120th Anniversary on July 20, 2014. The address is on Piedmont Avenue. I highly recommend the Black and Tan Sundae. :yum:

Fentons Creamery celebrating 120th year with party - ContraCostaTimes.com

Welcome to DC Carrot. You are going to like it here. This is a friendly place where we welcome all newcomers with a great deal of excitement. Go take a look at Today's Funny and it will give you an idea of our sense of humor. We love laughter along with food and cooking. As you can see, I have already shortened your name. A habit we all seem to practice.

Another fun thread is The Chicken Chronicles. Poor CWS has a condition called OCD. Obsessive Chicken Disorder. And we do try to encourage her to delve into it as deeply as she can. We find the tales and adventures of her "girls" quite exciting. I hope you will also. :angel:

Welcome to DC Carrot. You are going to like it here. This is a friendly place where we welcome all newcomers with a great deal of excitement. Go take a look at Today's Funny and it will give you an idea of our sense of humor. We love laughter along with food and cooking. As you can see, I have already shortened your name. A habit we all seem to practice.

Another fun thread is The Chicken Chronicles. Poor CWS has a condition called OCD. Obsessive Chicken Disorder. And we do try to encourage her to delve into it as deeply as she can. We find the tales and adventures of her "girls" quite exciting. I hope you will also. :angel:

Thank you for the welcome. You can call me cm.:)

Red's Tamales

Remember Red's Tamales and Tuesday being Red's Tamales Day. We looked forward to Tuesdays. I also remember little cans the size of tomato sauce that had a tamale in them. You heated them in water on the stoves, opened them with a can opener and ate them. My fav was the olive tamale. I hunger for them and that's when I found this forum. Hope to get some answers to my questions.:huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom