Does "panko" go by another name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey that's pretty cool. I was thinking about this myself, but I was thinking to dry them out before pushing them through a FP.
:) Thats what I was thinking but maybe using a cheese grater I guess that would really be the same thing your way being easier.
Making my own would be cheaper since I can only get the tiny packages

Your flour, corn flour mix is nothing at all like panko though. Also, panko is not really pre packaged fry breading the way I think you are thinking. They are just breadcrumbs with nothing added. They are not salty at all.

they are also milk free, at least the ones I have seen.. which can be important..

:) I think because we really don't have a lot of asians here it's harder to get decent asian products I would have to go to Colorado Springs, Denver or Albuquerque for that.

Progresso now markets a Panko breadcrumb product, both plain and Italian flavored. I haven't seen it in my local markets, but they sent out "preview packages" a year or so ago. I enjoyed using it, and suggest you might ask about it, because if your store carries Progresso products, I'm guessing they may be able to order them.

I usually buy my Panko at a specialty store in Manhattan.

Hey! I just checked out the store's web site, and you can order the Panko Breadcrumbs here: Kalustyans.

Thanks for the pics LC. They will help me with identifying what I'm looking for, since once I hit the ethnic aisle I'm sure things will be all mixed up. If they do indeed have them.
While I'm sure my own town store won't have them, I would think the Giant Eagle I shop would.... Dumb me always looked for them with the rest of the bread crumbs.

I would be surprised if you find them stored with "Japanese" products.

Thats where they are in my regular supermarket.

Like GB said, panko is made with bread that is specailly made without crusts. It's coarser, lighter and airier than regular bread crumbs.

Once you use them, you'll see that it would be hard to recreate them at home.

I agree, Dee. We have an Asian Supermarket and I get bulk panko there and it is super cheap and kept fresh (big product turnover). Somehow I just can't see the Japanese using Wonderbread! :ohmy:

the only other term i've heard them called by is "spanko".

but that was a recipe from vb, and i'm not sure if she was pulling my leg or not...

I get them at the local discount grocer (Marc's) for $1.28 per box. There is 8 oz in the box, and it appears there is about 4 cups in volume.

img_750144_0_1c8d3b62b108584f02e493ed9b269d43.jpg

If you want some, just PM me and I'll be happy to ship them to you.

Joe

I find them in my regular grocery store with the breadcrumbs. I buy them to use in place of regular crumbs when cooking for my granddaughter who is allergic to sesame (which is listed in all of the store crumbs I have seen)

Hey, the soy sauce people.
I appreciate the offer, Joe. I'll bet if Giant Eagle doesn't have them in their specialty aisle though, the Wegmans by the mall will.

All this just to try them out (lol). I hope they're worth it!

Back
Top Bottom