Earthquake in Hawaii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my, I forgot Iron chef was back in Hawaii. He was in Los Angeles I think, but then recently moved back to Hawaii, or maybe Oahu as Dove pointed out. I hope everyone on the Islands are safe!

My thoughts and prayers are going out to you. I can't imagine what you are going through with an earthquake. Hopefully your power will be on soon.
We were without power for 1 week after a tornado, I will never forget that.

Sister called again, power is back on in her area of Oahu, so hopefully we'll start hearing from other members of DC soon, once they get internet connection back up. Just phone service for now and that was intermittent, maybe 1 minute at a time before we were disconnected. There are flood warnings for Oahu, and it was pouring rain when I talked to her.

ALOHA! Thank you my DC family for you kind thoughts and prayers. All's well here. The power was just turned on after almost 10 hours. To make matters worst, a storm front is passing and it made for a wet and humid day. But thanks to the Lord, there were no deaths and a few minor injuries and no tsunami was activated. There are some damages on the Big Island where the the earthquake originated. Let me tell you, being shook out of bed with an earthquake is something I don't ever want repeated. So nice to back.:) :) :) :) :)

Last edited:
It's nice to see you back Wasabi! I see the earthquake hasn't taken the wiggle out of your hula! How did Koapaka weather the earthquake? Did she run to the doorway the way she should? :cool: (hmmmm, why does DC have a cat, bunny, pig, and chicken smilie but not a dog??)

:) Barbara

Koapaka sleeps in the living room, so when the quake hit, I was still in bed. When I ran out to check on him, he was hiding under the sofa. He's just fine, thank you.

Wasabi,
it is such a relief to see you here. I am so happy you are safe and unhurt. Wish, I could just give you a big hug, but I'll send a cyber one instead
{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}
kadesma:)

Wasabi! I'm so glad I found your posts here this morning. I thought about you when we heard the news yeterday. Glad all is well for you!

IC, let us know when you can that you're OK, too!

So glad to hear you're physically okay. I don't think I'll ever get use to the quakes (being jolted out of bed) here. Hugs to you. :)

Oh Wasabi I'm so glad everyone's okay !! My thoughts go out to everyone affected by this. Must of been one heck of a scare.

I'm so glad your safe and sound Wasabi. Hopefully we'll hear from Ironchef soon.

My BF son is stationed in Hawaii in the Navy and the ship was at dock. I guess it knocked him out of his bunk but he was ok. His mom nearly ran off the road when the news came over the radio. Thankfully he was able to get through later to let her know he was ok.

Prayers to all those affected by this.

My Roadrunner is still down so I'm writing this from work. Oahu didn't get that bad, it was only the power that got knocked out. The most stressful thing for me was not knowing any of the football scores and not knowing how much I was up or down.

And then I went to work.

You just don't know how many people really can't drive when there's no power. No traffic light = 4 way stop. I guess many people don't know this. I saw about 5 accidents going into work, all near or around intersections because people were just driving right through them without stopping or slowing. Saw many people doing this.

Work was ****. We cooked everything by portable propane burners and gas grills. Kept everything hot with sternos and hot boxes. Offered buffet style only for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We had to clean out some of the refers that were already at a higher temperature in the event the power did not go back on. As a result, guests were able to get sashimi grade tuna, chilled poached shrimp, dungeness crab, etc. Most guests were happy and just grateful to have food and drink, but there are some who really have no clue about reality. I saw adults push their way through children to try and get food. I overheard several complaining and blaming the hotel for "everything". Last time I checked, Mother Nature doesn't own our hotel.

But, everything turned out fine, and most guests were happy. Not something that I'd like to do again, but I give a lot of credit to the staff. Everyone pulled together and made it happen.

Good to hear from you IC - wow - some people are just nuts aren't they?

Glad everything is working out and be careful going through those intersections!!!!!!!!!

So glad to hear from you Wasabi and Iron chef! IC, some people are so darn ignorant and as you said have no clue about reality. They should have been grateful to have such elegant food. Any food and water would have been just fine for most people in that situation!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironchef you and your crew rock!!
10.gif
13.gif

Im humbled.
17.gif

Back
Top Bottom