"Egglands Best" eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
so, you're saying (in a future life) try to get a seat by the door...

LOL, Buckytom. Or come back as one of my chickens--fresh greens and table scraps every day, and an occasional thrill when one of the Aussies chases you around the yard.

Wow - lots of good info here - I don't buy the 'omega-3 eggs' at twice the price, 'cause if I want omega-3, I'll eat fish! It's like putting calcium in Tums to get peeps to buy more Tums!:rolleyes:

I do, however, buy free-range eggs farmed locally by the Mepkin Abbey monks; their chickens are -truly - free range, they have a huge yard to roam around in, and are outside all day. Sparrow, your info on free range was fascinating, and I'm sure true of the 'big' producers; but - if you can find a small, local farm, you'll find some of the most delicious eggs.

I can honestly tell a difference between the free-range eggs and 'regular' eggs. The free range eggs just have a richer taste.

Absolutely, Marmalady. I can taste the difference now with my own eggs--the girls are locked up to keep them out of the newly planted veggies. I do give them leftovers and the weeds I pull, but I ain't gonna be catching bugs and digging worms for them.

Sparrowgrass... what about eggs labeled "organic" in the US? A hen farmer friend once told me a long time ago that it's simply eggs that come from non-hormone/non-antibiotic injected hens. Is that correct? What about cannibalizing chickens like they do for non-organic cows... does that occur? I mean, feeding ground up chicken parts to chickens like they do to cows. Just some questions this thread made me start thinking about.

P.S. Thanks for all the great information. I'd say 60% of the eggs I eat have bloodspots in them and I've never even thought about it... then again, it also doesn't bother me that I have to wipe chicken poop off of ALL of my eggs. :)

velochic said:
...Is that correct? What about cannibalizing chickens like they do for non-organic cows... does that occur? I mean, feeding ground up chicken parts to chickens like they do to cows...

Federal law prohibits feeding beef cattle any food that contains cattle parts. This law has been in place for a while and is the primary reason we have no problem with mad cow disease in the US.

I don't think so. There isn't any difference between brown and white, but some people are still being duped into paying more for brown.

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about "bio-engineered" food crops. They are simply hybridized for better resistance to disease (reducing the need for spraying), better production, and superior taste.

In regard to caged chickens, I'm all for it. Chickens are nasty creatures, and anything that will keep them from from eating their own droppings and grasshoppers or bugs is fine with me.

I buy plain old eggs.

I buy Eggland's. I've never done a taste comparison, but then, I don't buy them for any appreciable difference in taste. I just figure that I might as well get a little bit better nutrition .

Safeway and Costco both have the higher Omega 3 eggs. We are buying them for the health advantages - but then we're trying hard to really improve on the quality of the food we're going to eat. I'd rather not eat foods that contain all kinds of additives and chemicals!

Velochic, organic eggs come from chickens fed organic feed--from crops that have not been sprayed with pesticides or fertilized with chemical fertilizers. I would think, but I don't know for sure, that chemical drugs would be against the rules, too.

In the US, it is against the law to use hormones in chickens. Most antibiotics have a withdrawal period--if you administer antibiotics, you cannot slaughter the animal or sell the eggs (or the milk, in the case of cows) for some specified period of time.

sparrowgrass said:
if you administer antibiotics, you cannot slaughter the animal or sell the eggs (or the milk, in the case of cows) for some specified period of time.
Sparrowgrass, do you have any reference for this? I don't doubt you, it's just that this is not what I thought was the case. I'm always willing to learn.:smartass:

Not to be disagreeable..especially at 6:30 in the morning...plus have a bad cold....
That being said...I worked for over 30 years in the retail grocery business.
Next there is an "egg farm" with over 1 Million birds 5 miles north of me. I know folks there....

My comments would be...."Buyer Beware"

Bullseye, google "antibiotic withdrawal times, livestock" for info. Antibiotics are marked with the withdrawal times.

Uncle Bob, if you are saying that you have to trust the producer to follow the laws, you are right. However, there are tests for antibiotics, so there are some safeguards in place.

(Just a note on my credentials--MS in Ag, working for U of Missouri Extension, from a farm family. FWIW.)

Correct! There are test....but the "testers" are few....
Producers fill orders regardless of inventory...
Come to think of it...I don't recall seeing the brand here locally lately.
Of course I am not looking for them...so they may there.

Uncle Bob said:
Not to be disagreeable..especially at 6:30 in the morning...plus have a bad cold....
That being said...I worked for over 30 years in the retail grocery business.
Next there is an "egg farm" with over 1 Million birds 5 miles north of me. I know folks there....

My comments would be...."Buyer Beware"
Uncle Bob said:
Correct! There are test....but the "testers" are few....
Producers fill orders regardless of inventory...
Come to think of it...I don't recall seeing the brand here locally lately.
Of course I am not looking for them...so they may there.
Uncle Bob, after reading your posts carefully several times, I don't know what your point is.
For what it's worth, sparrowgrass has always been a very reliable source of information in my book.

I have no quarel with Sparrowgrass nor anything he has said...
Reliable source....May he continue to be so!
My point was well stated...sorry you missed it!

Uncle Bob said:
My point was well stated...sorry you missed it!
Well, I'm sorry to, but it wouldn't be the first time that a well stated argument went over my head. I'm low on eggs and heading to the grocery store shortly. What do you suggest?

sparrowgrass said:
Bullseye, google "antibiotic withdrawal times, livestock" for info. Antibiotics are marked with the withdrawal times.

Uncle Bob, if you are saying that you have to trust the producer to follow the laws, you are right. However, there are tests for antibiotics, so there are some safeguards in place.

(Just a note on my credentials--MS in Ag, working for U of Missouri Extension, from a farm family. FWIW.)

Thanks, sparrowgrass. I will take some time and read some of the results--I only had time to skim, so far. It seems that there are safeguards in place, including withdrawal times being specified for when antibiotics are administered and provisions for testing the end product. There seems also to be some notices that address the practice of some to exceed the dosage, and that sometimes the withdrawal times are not sufficient for all strains of a particular produce. However, I am interested enough to research further. Thanks again for the pointers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom