Either you know it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I Googled it just to see and there's a few places that go by that name or one similar, such as Hell Gate, as opposed to Hell's Gate. There's even a RR tunnel somewhere that goes by that name. Lot's of places the underworld can get out to visit us...

I got a Hell Gate in Missoula, too!

pacanis, you're the closest. Hell's Gate is a particular spot in the Fraser Valley. It was naturally occurring and when the railroad built there, an accident occurred and Hell's Gate was created. They had to create a special thing for the salmon to spawn, otherwise the salmon would have died out there.

You're up.

I can't take this one, Alix. I had to Google just to put a place to it, otherwise I thought Hell's Gate was a movie back in the eighties, lol.
I defer to anyone else, probably Bucky, since he probably had Hell Gate in NYC right on the top of his head.

Hell's Gate is in BC. BT was on the wrong side of the continent! LOL! OK, how about another one from me then. I'll be around a bit longer this time.

What's the common name for the Dieffenbachia plant? Bonus points if you know what happens if you ingest some.

Signing off for a bit. I'll check back just before I leave for work. If no one has it by then I'll post the answer and someone else can take a shot at it.

OK, what is the active itch causing ingredient in poison ivy? Bonus: T or F, only humans get poison ivy.

Last edited:
it's the oil on the leaves, but i guess you want more specifics.

luckily, i'm immune to poison ivy. i don't know why, but i've hacked the stuff down more than once with other people that have gotten bad cases of it, but i went unscathed. and i've hiked through it many times to no ill effect.

Si, the name of the oil?

I, too, am lucky, have walked through it, slept in it, and made wreathes out of the vines (!!!). DH gets it if he looks at it.

I got it once a long time ago, not bad though. I've heard of people burning it to clear a field and they came down with it very bad without touching it.
People are *generally* the only ones susceptible to it. Dogs or other animals can get it, but it's rare. People can get it off thier pets fur.

What's the name of the oil? anyone?

A friend burned it, had it in his lungs, and weeping sores made his shirt sleeves stick to his arms on a flight.

Actually, humans are the only beings who get poison ivy. And yes, patting your dog, deer, or chicken can give it to you too!

Ok, it's called urushiol. Also found in poison oak and poison sumac.

Take it, Pac or BT!

Last edited:
OK, I'll throw one out there. And like the game says, you will either know this or you won't. I'm not even sure if it can be Googled.

Back in "the day", sometimes an 8-track tape... you know what that is, right... would get eaten by the player. If you were lucky enough to be able to get the 8-track and tape out of the player intact, How could you put the excess, loose tape back into the plastic housing?

I'll tell you, you didn't have to take it apart.
Lots of folks thought the tape was shot if it came out of the casing, but it wasn't... if you knew how to fix it :D

on all cassettes, there's a small release tab that you press in which allows you to turn the spindle to wind the tape back in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom